You are not logged in.

#3751 2021-04-07 23:26:31

jeffreyC
Member
Registered: 2019-09-07
Posts: 62

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:
eight.bit.al wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

serving the corporations that pay the politicians, and not the people.

Boom.

8bit

B·O·O·M!

No first had knowledge here.  Nor have I heard about it.
However the link shows where a car was backed out remotely and found by the repo people because of the GPS.

We have destroyed our own humanity for the sake of $$ and power.

Really it has been that way since civilization began.
Wealthy people must grab power or their wealth is taken from them by those who do have power.

Offline

#3752 2021-04-20 15:14:12

glittersloth
buena piñata
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 1,382

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

PSA:
Apparently Javascript embedded in PDFs is a thing for browsers now. Why? I don't know. Firefox users, when version 88 hits, for the love of [whatever you believe in], make sure to disable it. If Mozilla don't offer a GUI toggle in preferences, make sure pdfjs.enableScripting = false  in your about:config

Offline

#3753 2021-04-20 15:38:07

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 1,070

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

glittersloth wrote:

PSA:
for the love of [whatever you believe in], make sure to disable it.

Science. Thx for the heads up.

8bit


If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

Offline

#3754 2021-04-20 16:41:29

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,769

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

OH GREAT!  pdf's with imbedded Javascripts.

We need a command, good for any app, any situation everywhere:

all_bad_stuff > /dev/nul

I never open pdf's in my browser anyway.


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#3755 2021-04-20 19:52:54

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,317

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

glittersloth wrote:

PSA:
Apparently Javascript embedded in PDFs is a thing for browsers now. Why? I don't know. Firefox users, when version 88 hits, for the love of [whatever you believe in], make sure to disable it. If Mozilla don't offer a GUI toggle in preferences, make sure pdfjs.enableScripting = false  in your about:config

I for once am thankful that it is available in the browser. Unlike desktop PDF readers, the sandbox of the major browsers is one of the sandboxes with the most eyes on it, worldwide, in history, ever, so it's likely better than installing and using Adobe Reader for the job...that being said, XFA forms will largely remain unsupported, because they are too complex.

Why? is a good question. I think we missed the boat when XHTML did not catch on and people went full HTML5.

XHTML would have allowed to ship a strict schema for a website's content including forms. If you pay attention to HTML5, it got all these new fancy "<input>" elements for dates, times, multiple choice, whatever, but apart from a few standard types no validation options except JavaScript. And HTML is an adventure to parse, anyway. It's a miracle the web works at all.

PDF is the same, missing the strict XML description boat in favour of a more "lose" validation option consisting of free-style JavaScript program code. XML Forms Architecture (XFA) has XML in its name but is more like HTML5 than strict, declarative XML which would be preferable. Like you might say: show a form at offset (x,y) on the page that accepts words from this list and is active IF the field with ID foo contains something as well in a declarative way, they now write JS checks for the same thing. All of this could be a website, but have you tried centering things vertically on websites before CSS3?

At least that's my view on the subject: JS in PDF is technical debt that never got paid down.

Offline

#3756 2021-04-21 06:02:23

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 5,554

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

glittersloth wrote:

make sure pdfjs.enableScripting = false  in your about:config

Thanks, glittersloth.

twoion wrote:

It's a miracle the web works at all.

Ain't that the truth.


Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

Offline

#3757 2021-04-27 18:28:08

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,317

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

My DSL line is down and I have no unmetered internet connection ATM, and being in Germany, mobile data is like electromagnetic gold. My employer is going to send over an unmetered LTE stick but that looks like it'll take longer than the technician getting here.

Why does this country have to suck so much.

That being said, it has been a while since I paid attention to data usage. BL forum site? Couple KB. old.reddit.com front page WITHOUT images? multiple MB. Insanity.

Offline

#3758 2021-04-27 19:25:10

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 5,554

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ I wish I had some words of understanding, but I've developed practically all of my online habits in a country that's on the opposite side of that scale... sorry, though. My empathy. I keep hearing about this on news. "Digitalisation" as an empty slogan that doesn't even catch stupid voters anymore, it seems only the politicians that are using it are charmed by it.

twoion wrote:

That being said, it has been a while since I paid attention to data usage. BL forum site? Couple KB. old.reddit.com front page WITHOUT images? multiple MB. Insanity.

https://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
Good, funny article on that subject.
A twist though: that page has loads of images and hence weighs in at a full megabyte. Yes, 1MB, that includes 103 thumbnails. It is very bloated big_smile

Last edited by ohnonot (2021-07-04 09:16:43)


Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

Offline

#3759 2021-04-27 21:27:38

misko_2083
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 500

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

My DSL line is down and I have no unmetered internet connection ATM, and being in Germany, mobile data is like electromagnetic gold. My employer is going to send over an unmetered LTE stick but that looks like it'll take longer than the technician getting here.

That's shocking! A hacker of your caliber would find a connection to the neighbor's WiFi until the connection crisis is over. :-)


This content is censored by the German government.

Offline

#3760 2021-04-28 05:05:34

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 12,178
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

misko_2083 wrote:
twoion wrote:

My DSL line is down and I have no unmetered internet connection ATM, and being in Germany, mobile data is like electromagnetic gold. My employer is going to send over an unmetered LTE stick but that looks like it'll take longer than the technician getting here.

That's shocking! A hacker of your caliber would find a connection to the neighbor's WiFi until the connection crisis is over. :-)

That's what an American might do. Wenn Duetschland, VERBOTEN! You're neighbor is also a hacker and will put dog poop in your mailbox.

Offline

#3761 2021-04-28 19:34:34

misko_2083
Member
Registered: 2016-05-24
Posts: 500

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

hhh wrote:

That's what an American might do. Wenn Duetschland, VERBOTEN! You're neighbor is also a hacker and will put dog poop in your mailbox.

To avoid neighbour sending next message to Joe Biden from your e-mail address:
"I know what you did. xo xo xo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLcMcdbb4Ho "
he can ask the neighbors for the password politely.
* Können Sie bitte Ihr WLAN nutzen, um die Startcodes für die Atomraketen zu erhalten?
A kind word can be a key to open an iron door. :-)

* This is how I hear German.
It could be a love song It would still resonate "destroy, kill, exterminate" in my ears.
German: Can you please point me to the nearest grocery store?
What I hear: Explosive, kerosene, turpentine, benzine...

Last edited by misko_2083 (2021-04-28 21:55:46)


This content is censored by the German government.

Offline

#3762 2021-04-29 20:58:15

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,317

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

hhh wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:
twoion wrote:

My DSL line is down and I have no unmetered internet connection ATM, and being in Germany, mobile data is like electromagnetic gold. My employer is going to send over an unmetered LTE stick but that looks like it'll take longer than the technician getting here.

That's shocking! A hacker of your caliber would find a connection to the neighbor's WiFi until the connection crisis is over. :-)

That's what an American might do. Wenn Duetschland, VERBOTEN! You're neighbor is also a hacker and will put dog poop in your mailbox.

Not so far from the truth. People don't share wifi in Germany because of ... the copyright infringement  industry. Essentially, any copyright infringement committed using an IP address that can be tied to you as the owner of the line at that time is yours to pay for unless you can prove beyond doubt that it was not you who originated the naughty bittorrent packets. Lawyers even made people pay up who forgot or did not know how to secure their wifi for copyright infringement unknown users of said freely accessible wifi committed. Courts usually play ball with this. This is why I would not share my wifi with stranger neighbours even if they begged me to...

Offline

#3763 2021-04-29 21:06:20

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,317

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

ohnonot wrote:

^ I wish I had some words of understanding, but I've developed practically all of my online habits in a country that's on the opposite side of that scale... sorry, though. My empathy. I keep hearing about this on (german) news. "Digitalisation" as an empty slogan that doesn't even catch stupid voters anymore, it seems only the politicians that are using it are charmed by it.

twoion wrote:

That being said, it has been a while since I paid attention to data usage. BL forum site? Couple KB. old.reddit.com front page WITHOUT images? multiple MB. Insanity.

https://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
Good, funny article on that subject.
A twist though: that page has loads of images and hence weighs in at a full megabyte. Yes, 1MB, that includes 103 thumbnails. It is very bloated big_smile

I made a table with prices per gigabyte of mobile data options for 28 days that is available for my current phone (prepaid) phone plan:

71a9wi.png

I was on the AllNet S plan, paying a grand 3.33€ per gigabyte of LTE data. The cheapest option was to purchase a 24 hour flat rate package every day (valid only for 24 hours on the second), you could get 280G data for "only" 0.50€ per GB...stupid. Good thing my lack of connectivity did not last longer than until today.

Now they are selling ultra high speed 5G LTE plans ... yeah mobile data plans where I can exhaust the data allowance within minutes if I use all available bandwidth are a sad joke. But that's the state of mobile here. It's the future!

Offline

#3764 2021-04-29 21:45:52

jeffreyC
Member
Registered: 2019-09-07
Posts: 62

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:
hhh wrote:
misko_2083 wrote:

That's shocking! A hacker of your caliber would find a connection to the neighbor's WiFi until the connection crisis is over. :-)

That's what an American might do. Wenn Duetschland, VERBOTEN! You're neighbor is also a hacker and will put dog poop in your mailbox.

Not so far from the truth. People don't share wifi in Germany because of ... the copyright infringement  industry. Essentially, any copyright infringement committed using an IP address that can be tied to you as the owner of the line at that time is yours to pay for unless you can prove beyond doubt that it was not you who originated the naughty bittorrent packets. Lawyers even made people pay up who forgot or did not know how to secure their wifi for copyright infringement unknown users of said freely accessible wifi committed. Courts usually play ball with this. This is why I would not share my wifi with stranger neighbours even if they begged me to...

So they are almost as bad as in the US, where the music recording industry believes it is owed 11 times the total money on the planet for copyright infringement?

Offline

#3765 2021-04-30 05:31:52

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 5,554

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

Now they are selling ultra high speed 5G LTE plans ... yeah mobile data plans where I can exhaust the data allowance within minutes if I use all available bandwidth are a sad joke. But that's the state of mobile here. It's the future!

I don't want to show off or make you feel jealous, just point out that it's better elsewhere, and maybe there's hope:
Around here it's all flatrate, included in your phone SIM. People simply don't buy mobile data plans. The options, price differences, are in the bandwidth of the flatrate - which is a bit of a scam because obviously bandwidth fluctuates and there's no real way to guarantee it, but that wouldn't be different with a data plan either.


Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

Offline

#3766 2021-04-30 07:09:53

Jimbo_G
Member
From: France
Registered: 2017-05-12
Posts: 204

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^Better elsewhere... I don't completely agree.

We're very privileged in some places to have this arrangement of basically unlimited data. But it leads to crazy (i.e. wasteful) behaviour like people video calling on Teams rather than just pick up the phone for a 5-minute conversation, or emailing 10MB photos rather than taking 5 seconds to compress them.

And, as usual, it's only the privileged few who have access to this - imagine the infrastructure we'd need for a sizeable proportion of the world's population to stream HD movies.

I would be very happy to return to a system where there's a bit more accountability to how much data we use. And that probably means paying for it.

Offline

#3767 2021-04-30 14:27:33

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,769

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

WoW!!!!

I have a 2GB plan and "Bluetooth" and "Data" are turned off.
I never use 'data'.  At home I'm on WiFi, when I leave the house I tune WiFi OFF so it's not even looking for the hotspots.  I want my phone to phone home when I am out.  Nothing else.


The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.
_______________________________
Debian 10 Buster = SharpBang ♯!

Offline

#3768 2021-04-30 16:59:06

rbh
Member
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 1,182

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Jimbo_G wrote:

I would be very happy to return to a system where there's a bit more accountability to how much data we use. And that probably means paying for it.

I am very glad for having flat rate for our wirelese internet. A couple of years ago, I had only 10 GB/month at 1-1,5 MB/S.
To install a new distro, was possible only by bying a DVD. Using "volatile" repo was impossible.
Now I mirror  Debian Stable, testing and sid, Sparkylinux Stable, Siduction, Opera, Some Google Repos, Webmin and a dosen more repos. Fetching about 5 GB two times a day. I like to be uptodate...


// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Offline

#3769 2021-05-01 01:35:13

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 12,178
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

https://0x0.2ion.de/2hvmjk4i/71a9wi.png

I was on the AllNet S plan, paying a grand 3.33€ per gigabyte of LTE data. The cheapest option was to purchase a 24 hour flat rate package every day (valid only for 24 hours on the second), you could get 280G data for "only" 0.50€ per GB...stupid. Good thing my lack of connectivity did not last longer than until today.

Wait, so how much per month does that average? Not just the data usage, your cell phone bill per month?

Offline

#3770 2021-05-01 10:43:21

twoion
一期一会
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,317

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

hhh wrote:
twoion wrote:

https://0x0.2ion.de/2hvmjk4i/71a9wi.png

I was on the AllNet S plan, paying a grand 3.33€ per gigabyte of LTE data. The cheapest option was to purchase a 24 hour flat rate package every day (valid only for 24 hours on the second), you could get 280G data for "only" 0.50€ per GB...stupid. Good thing my lack of connectivity did not last longer than until today.

Wait, so how much per month does that average? Not just the data usage, your cell phone bill per month?

My cell phone bill is just €9.99, usually. Well, technically, that's only for 28 days, so a month is about €10.80 on average or $13, and it's not a bill, because it's prepaid -- I can decide each month if I wanna pay for it. Included are up to 3GB of LTE high speed data -- after that it's throttled to 32kbps with packets dropping faster than you can send them --, and 200 units worth either 1 minute of voice calls or 1 SMS each.

Well, if I can make do with 3G data in that month. Normally absolutely no problem, but under special circumstances like having to use more data, it'll get more expensive.

Offline

#3771 2021-05-01 13:02:16

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 5,554

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ sounds like a typical prepaid arrangement - wouldn't things be better with a proper contract?


Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

Offline

#3772 2021-05-01 18:34:16

Naik
Member
From: Lipsia
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 298

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^^I do about the same unless it's a little cheaper (7,99€ for 30 days and unlimited calls and sms) and besides from the hassle of changeing my number¹ I did not find a cheaper way to get my mobile running as of today. The only thing would be the phone itself which you can get quite cheap with a proper contract but since I haven't had one that was not second hand in the last ten years, I'm happy with it.
¹The thing is that this SIM is so old, I had not to provide any reasonable personal data to get it working back than, and I will never be able to achieve this again. ;-)

naik --greetz


"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

Offline

#3773 2021-05-02 00:47:16

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 12,178
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Similar in The States using Mint Mobile, 4g with unlimited data, etc, for $20 per month introductory rate and $25 per month after that.

Offline

#3774 2021-05-02 00:51:31

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 12,178
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

ohnonot wrote:

^ sounds like a typical prepaid arrangement - wouldn't things be better with a proper contract?

No, always a catch with a contract from a corporation.

Offline

#3775 2021-05-02 04:52:13

jeffreyC
Member
Registered: 2019-09-07
Posts: 62

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

hhh wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

^ sounds like a typical prepaid arrangement - wouldn't things be better with a proper contract?

No, always a catch with a contract from a corporation.

A while back I compared an unlimited plan with Verizon and their contract which offered the exact same thing:

The contract version was $200 per month.
The no-contract version was $140 per month.

You got nothing extra with the contract except a bill $60 higher, and an early cancellation fee if you wanted to switch to a better offer.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB