You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-15 20:02:38

bunsencub

Hi from a asciifying dino

Hi to all,

I used computers at times when MS DOS required us to asciify/deasciify formatted documents and graphs in order to mail them around, when online conferences werde done with KOM/COM, and when Winchester drives were all the rage to store data. I kept using computers as a means to an end not as an art, climbed through MS Windows versions, learned Linux, a few distros... Now, I am trying to find a Linux OS that will be kind to my old notebook (Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian Bullseye/Sid could be friendlier). I hit upon Bunsenlabs Lithium. It seems to run well on my machine - most of the time. It is very tricky, though, spoilt as I am by Ubuntu. But the Bunsenlabs forum is very friendly and helpful, thankfully. I can't  await Beryllium. How will be be?

Take care,

bunsencup

#2 2021-04-15 22:30:17

rbh

Re: Hi from a asciifying dino

Wellcome!
Yes, BunsenLabs is nice both on old and new hardware. You can migrate to Berryllium already, even thoug all packages is not ready. Check "HOW-TO set up an experimental BL Beryllium system on Bullseye."

Edit: You can run "apt update", apt upgrade", edit repositorys for Beryllium/Bullsey and continue with "apt update", apt upgrade" and "apt dist-upgrade".

Beryllium will be a minor upgrade. No big changes.

Last edited by rbh (2021-04-15 22:36:27)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2021-04-16 04:21:06

bunsencub

bunsencub wrote:

...when online conferences werde done with KOM/COM...

Sorry, I got carried away! About four decades ago, it was not visibly online like now, it was called "computer conferences". And, just to mention it, the MS DOS communications software was called "Kermit".

#4 2021-04-16 04:30:12

bunsencub

rbh wrote:

... You can migrate to Berryllium already...

Thank you, but

To set up a Debian Bullseye system using these packages, follow these steps:

1)
Download a Debian Bullseye "alpha 3" installer.

I am quite happy to find my way with Lithium first, trying to avoid explosions wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrsoMsEMNU

Board footer