You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-25 23:40:26

mdiemer

New From Maine

I happened upon Bunsen Labs Lithium after trying another light distro that uses Openbox. I am using an old desktop with Nvidia 6150SE graphics. It needs a very light distro. The other distro I was using was nice, but I encountered some problems, and somewhere along the line I found that BL uses openbox. So I gave it a try. I'm very impressed. It is working very well. I did encounter one issue, and I'll post a thread on that, as the various fixes I've attempted have failed.

Anyway, nice to be here, looking forward to some great fun with this unique operating system!

#2 2021-02-26 00:41:30

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Re: New From Maine

mdiemer wrote:

I happened upon Bunsen Labs Lithium after trying another light distro that uses Openbox. I am using an old desktop with Nvidia 6150SE graphics. It needs a very light distro. The other distro I was using was nice, but I encountered some problems, and somewhere along the line I found that BL uses openbox. So I gave it a try. I'm very impressed. It is working very well. I did encounter one issue, and I'll post a thread on that, as the various fixes I've attempted have failed.

Anyway, nice to be here, looking forward to some great fun with this unique operating system!

Welcome:)  Hope you find the answers you are looking for! Good group here.

#3 2021-02-26 01:24:51

mdiemer

Thank you! My problem was with Redshift. I had it working yesterday on my test install, using an old HHD. But I couldn't get it to pick up on my location today, after installing the system "for real on" a SSD. However, I just got it working. Possibly running it from the config file, and then restarting, did the trick. In any case, all is well now.

It's really cool to have an up to date system. I have been running older systems, one about to EOL; another three years old. With Bunsen, I have a cutting-edge system that works. And I don't need to worry about NVIDIA drivers. or buying a new graphics card. TGFBL!

#4 2021-02-26 07:38:25

damo
....moderator....

Welcome to the bunsengang. BL is not exactly cutting-edge, but it is pretty useful and reliable for the majority of users.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2021-02-26 16:32:30

mdiemer

damo wrote:

Welcome to the bunsengang. BL is not exactly cutting-edge, but it is pretty useful and reliable for the majority of users.

I meant, compared to what I've been running. When my video card died, and then my PSU, I had to find systems that would work on this 12 year old desktop. Reluctant to put money into it. I found I could run Ubuntu 16.04, which allowed the 304 driver. This confined me to the 4.4 kernel. Sure, it's a long-term support kernel, but Ub. 16 EOL's in April. I could sign up for Extended Security Maintenance, but still would get no hardware or other updates, only security. My other system, Bodhi 5, is based on Ubuntu 18, so that is beginning to get on in life as well.

These were the two Linuxes I could get to run well on this system. So-called light systems, like Lubuntu and Linux Lite, while great systems (as are Ubuntu 16 and Bodhi), are way too heavy. Then I saw Mabox on Distrowatch, and tried that. I discovered that Openbox is the DE this system needs. however, Mabox, being based on Manjaro, doesn't play well with Debian-based systems. It's Grub won't boot my other systems. There were some other issues as well. But when I tried Bunsen Labs, everything worked.

Except the Redshift thing. It's not working again today, so I will have to post a thread on that after all.

#6 2021-03-01 04:57:48

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi @mdiemer, welcome to the Lab! smile

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#7 2021-03-01 16:48:29

mdiemer

Thanks John. By the way, something I've been wondering about: where is Bunsen Labs located? If I go there, will I find a bunch of people in white coats, cranking out computer code, with massive banks of humming mainframes in the background?

Last edited by mdiemer (2021-03-01 20:22:54)

#8 2021-03-02 05:13:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Probably, yes. But watch out for that lab assistant!
4bEO83f.png

Last edited by johnraff (2021-03-03 02:10:12)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer