You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-23 20:10:26

fasteddy

Greetings fellow Earthlings!

It has been a long time since I've used linux, so good to be back. Former Ubuntu user. quit using linux when Sony blocked users from loading Linux on it. Got a phone and hacked those for a while. My friend gave me an old Compaq C-10 150CA with virused up win7. My first thought after trying to fix it, Linux. After trying old Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and never getting the proper microcode installed, I found you guys. So glad I did, as everything works, and it is way faster. Like a minute less time to log in screen!! Wow.
The forum seems like the best part of this whole journey so far, everything I've read has been helpful, polite, accurate, and even funny! Gotta love it. Looking forward to learning alot more in the near future.
Ed Crumly aka: FastEddy. All the way from Grande Prairie, Alberta ,Canada.

#2 2021-02-23 23:30:44

phuturism

Re: Greetings fellow Earthlings!

fasteddy wrote:

It has been a long time since I've used linux, so good to be back. Former Ubuntu user. quit using linux when Sony blocked users from loading Linux on it. Got a phone and hacked those for a while. My friend gave me an old Compaq C-10 150CA with virused up win7. My first thought after trying to fix it, Linux. After trying old Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and never getting the proper microcode installed, I found you guys. So glad I did, as everything works, and it is way faster. Like a minute less time to log in screen!! Wow.
The forum seems like the best part of this whole journey so far, everything I've read has been helpful, polite, accurate, and even funny! Gotta love it. Looking forward to learning alot more in the near future.
Ed Crumly aka: FastEddy. All the way from Grande Prairie, Alberta ,Canada.

Welcome Eddy!   Yes, this is a great little forum.

#3 2021-02-24 00:23:54

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Hiya fellow Canuck!

How's the Alberta beef these days?

And of course welcome to the Labs.

Were a friendly bunch here but be warned, the biscuits on the counter in the coffee room. Those are damo's.

DON'T TOUCH THE BISCUITS!

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#4 2021-02-24 04:38:06

fasteddy

Gotcha.  Watch the biscuits... Our beef is still good. And yes, I still yell moooo at them whenever I drive by them!! Trying to learn home automation  for a tiny home situation (shipping container home) to house people who cant afford a roof. Figured I better cozy up to Debian again , as it will be Linux based. Never scripted or coded before so it should be challenging.                       I

#5 2021-02-24 11:50:14

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

fasteddy wrote:

{snip Mooooo snip}Trying to learn home automation  for a tiny home situation (shipping container home) to house people who cant afford a roof. Figured I better cozy up to Debian again , as it will be Linux based. Never scripted or coded before so it should be challenging.

A worthy cause indeed.

You'll find a lot of help here is you ask nicely and do a little homework first.

And since "man" is your friend ... a little bash script to help read man pages:

pman

#!/bin/bash
# oneliner from commandlinefu.com
# man -t $1 | ps2pdf - - | epdfview -
# bash script from johnraff
# pman filename
# convert man page to pdf & show in epdfview/evince/mupdf

file=$(mktemp)
man -t $1 | ps2pdf - $file

atril $file
#evince $file
#epdfview $file
#mupdf $file
#qpdfview $file

rm $file
exit

So if you see johnraff around thank him.
I use atril but all the others work as well.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

Board footer