You are not logged in.

#101 2021-01-14 06:51:40

ohnonot
...again

Re: It's a sad day for America

I can see most of you are used to seeing all sorts of trumpists & covid deniers in real life.
For me it was the first time it consciously came so close. So far it's been the news and online discussions.

eight.bit.al wrote:

Years and years of stimulating fear and anger against the Other. Anger motivates voters to come out to the polls. This carefully nurtured angst is fertile ground for all manner of conspiracy theories. (...) These people are trapped in an alternate reality created by (..) media lies.

Decades. Almost a century. Apparently it started geeting serious with Freud's nephew coming to the USA.
And of course Americanisation made it a more-or-less global phenomenon, and while the US of NA aren't "The No. One" globally anymore, they're still No. 1 in this.
Social media folks creationg their algorithms picked up on all this like a high school kid making a science project on nuclear chain reaction.
How did Goethe say: "Ah, here comes the master! / I have need of Thee! / from the spirits that I called / Sir, deliver me!"

The Alternate Reality part of it gets me most. How do you get through to these people?

Sadly, these people are mad at the wrong thing. They should be mad at the 1%/corporations who sent their middle class jobs overseas. Who keeps their wages low. Who stole trillions (with a T) in wealth from the housing market. Privatized gains, socialized losses.

And that's another aspect of the same thing:
Decades of corroding social security in all its forms, esp. education.
An economy obviously benefiting from a steep social gradient, stupidity and poverty, and high unemployment. An administration that has been distorting facts and cooking the numbers, telling the people there's very low unemployment.

right wing media lies

I don't disagree, but I must say I don't subscribe anymore to this 2-dimensional concept of politics anymore.
Populism is a bad thing, no matter what direction it comes from. And there's more than 2 directions for it to come from.

eight.bit.al wrote:

Trump, the master manipulator, played this pent up frustration like a pied piper.

Yes, but he didn't start the fire.
And btw I don't think he has the brains to be doing it by himself. Way too self-absorbed. I think he has a whole bunch of advisors behind him who, in turn, play him like so many pied pipers.

I have now heard that the City of New York is severing all contracts with the Trump organization.
He is down, so much is clear, and suddenly everyone is eager to kick him (like he did for so many years), and wash their hands of him, and eager to be seen doing it.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#102 2021-01-14 09:26:04

MALsPa

I've gotten hammered by friends/family for saying this sort of thing, but I feel sorry for the guy. Tortured soul. Hope he can find some peace. Sad story no matter which angle I look at it from.

#103 2021-01-14 09:27:20

MALsPa

Seems like he has to go around being angry all the time. What a way to live.

#104 2021-01-16 06:40:50

ohnonot
...again

I understand, MALsPa. When the intelligenzia has decided to go one way it is very hard to point out that maybe they shouldn't overdo it, lest they become the monster they criticize. But I also have enough Schadenfreude in me to enjoy the current situation. The bully gets bullied. Just worries me a little that there doesn't seem to be enough focus on the upcoming government.

You might by interested in an article about DT'd psychology I linked a few posts back.

ohnonot wrote:

Trumpists
(...)
But now, something completely unprecedented (for me) happened: one of them became my work colleague.
(...)
He also has a facemask phobia (so he's the only adult not wearing one) and proudly told me that his whole family didn't get tested before they came here from Germany 2 weeks ago.

After I talked to him he came to our boss voluntarily and told her about the non-testing. I assume this means he's going to do it now (our country just passed a regulation where people coming into the country must do this).
So, while he still has his convictions I presume, it doesn't go to the extent of actively harming others. Good.

#105 2021-01-16 17:39:27

eight.bit.al

corporate.th.png

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#106 2021-01-16 20:23:49

eight.bit.al

eight.bit.al wrote:

Sadly, these people are mad at the wrong thing. They should be mad at the 1%/corporations ... privatized gains, socialized losses.

8bit

New Rule: The Tragedy of Trump Voters

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eeavqZ8V8

8bit

#107 2021-01-17 07:46:41

ohnonot
...again

^ smile

You thought Trump was going to be the ball in your china shop? yeah, he was, but you were the china.

#108 2021-01-17 17:20:50

trilobite

Meanwhile, I wonder if buffalo hat shaman costumes will be big sellers at Hallowe'en.

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#109 2021-05-23 17:10:42

eight.bit.al

sub.th.jpg

8bit

#110 2021-05-23 19:28:58

Martin
Website

:-)

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#111 2021-05-23 23:38:46

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

trilobite wrote:

Meanwhile, I wonder if buffalo hat shaman costumes will be big sellers at Hallowe'en.

Perhaps in the South :-)

Real Men Use Linux

#112 2021-05-24 01:33:37

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Hey, we're slow down here, but we're stupid and ignorant. too.

#113 2021-05-25 02:09:00

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Spot on!

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer