You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-21 16:48:53

twoion
ほやほや

PSA: bunsen-keyring package refreshes

An update to the bunsen-keyring package has been released for the current BunsenLabs Lithium release, as well as all older releases, Helium and Hydrogen. The update contains a routine extension of the key expiration date until the year 2030. In order to ensure that your install can verify the signature on our package repositories after 2021-01-18, which is the current key expiration date, please make sure that you update your BunsenLabs system until then:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bunsen-keyring
sudo apt-get update

The final apt-get update call should go through without any validation errors against the BunsenLabs repositories.

If you miss the update window till January 18, 2021, you can no longer receive the update using APT without intervention as APT will fail to verify our repository signatures using the expired key. In order to get the new key after the expiration date, download the following packages and install them manually:

Install the packages using the terminal by executing

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/the/package.deb

or by double-clicking on them using gdebi.

Per aspera ad astra.

#2 2020-11-21 22:45:32

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: PSA: bunsen-keyring package refreshes

Thanks for the update! I assume, if you miss the window, that you only need to install the one package relative to your BL OS version (just the lithium package if you run Lithium, for example.)

#3 2020-11-22 01:14:10

rbh

The new keyring should be installed whith normal update.

In terminal:

apt update
apt upgrade

Or in synaptic, Press button "Mark all upgrades" and "Execute"

// Regards rbh

#4 2020-11-23 11:17:07

grubernd

rbh wrote:

I was wondering the same .. shouldn't that package be a part of the system install?

I did as instructed and from the apt logs it looks like it actually had to install the package.

Edit: Will test on other machines later.

Last edited by grubernd (2020-11-23 11:18:54)

#5 2020-11-23 11:59:31

dbvolvox
Website

rbh wrote:

The new keyring should be installed with normal update.

Confirming it was included in my normal update done today.

#6 2020-11-23 14:00:40

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

grubernd wrote:
rbh wrote:

I was wondering the same .. shouldn't that package be a part of the system install?

I did as instructed and from the apt logs it looks like it actually had to install the package.

The bunsen-keyring package is in the ISO, but if you do an install with a Bunsen ISO after January 18th (when the current certificate expires), you will then need to grab the updated keyring package and install manually as noted above as when you try to update a new install after the 18th of January it will fail unless you update the keyring.

Think this has bitten some people in the past.

Real Men Use Linux

#7 2020-11-23 14:49:26

twoion
ほやほや

DeepDayze wrote:
grubernd wrote:
rbh wrote:

The bunsen-keyring package is in the ISO, but if you do an install with a Bunsen ISO after January 18th (when the current certificate expires), you will then need to grab the updated keyring package and install manually as noted above as when you try to update a new install after the 18th of January it will fail unless you update the keyring.

The ISO images are about to be refreshed with updated packages. This problem will not occur if the user downloads the latest ISO images for the install.

Per aspera ad astra.

#8 2020-11-23 15:39:15

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

twoion wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:
grubernd wrote:

The ISO images are about to be refreshed with updated packages. This problem will not occur if the user downloads the latest ISO images for the install.

That's great to know. Thanks for that.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer