#576 2020-10-01 04:42:32

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Re: What are you reading right now?

phuturism wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

The Terror by Dan Simmons

Read this recently - really wanted to watch it after seeing the excellent AMC series...    pretty good, nice
historical flavour and detail.

I really enjoyed it, the show was pretty good too.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#577 2020-10-01 06:00:01

Nick

Next-book-cover.png

Next by Michael Crichton. I also borrowed Prey, by the same author.

#578 2020-10-01 23:36:16

hhh
Meep!
Website

I think I've listened to every available Frank Zappa interview now. I learned that he scored one stand-alone TV show, Outrage at Valdez, commissioned by Jacques Cousteau. It's a completely ambient Synclavier piece, terrifying and magnificent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAAoAjY7ysU

https://www.zappa-analysis.com/outrage-at-valdez.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGy0NVx9k84

Frank was contracted, and he delivered the product.

#579 2020-10-09 14:31:21

twoion
ほやほや

twoion wrote:
twoion wrote:

I have ordered John Scalzi's The Collapsing Empire and will start on it soon. After that, I'll get Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit. In case you're wondering: yes, I went through the list of Hugo and Locus award winners and nominees on Wikipedia again and ordered what seemed interesting. Can't wait.

Change of plans. After a fiction reading break, I'll be enjoying these four books (read the Collapsing Empire to its half point last weekend) over the next few months:

Frederik Pohl: Gateway (1977)

Scalzi: The Collapsing Empire - The Consuming Fire - The Last Emperox (2017-2020).

It also has been made known that the final book of the Expanse ennealogy is titled Leviathan Falls and will only come out in 2021. A bit of a disappointment, as I really hoped to be able to read it this year, but not entirely unexpected in its delay.

I also just ordered Children of Ruin (sequel to the much-appreciated Children of Time from 2015) as well as a secret tip I received, the The Living Labyrinth (2016) by by Ian Stewart & Tim Poston, which apparantely can only be had via print-on-demand from Amazon.

Per aspera ad astra.

#580 2020-11-21 16:51:19

twoion
ほやほや

twoion wrote:

It also has been made known that the final book of the Expanse ennealogy is titled Leviathan Falls and will only come out in 2021. A bit of a disappointment, as I really hoped to be able to read it this year, but not entirely unexpected in its delay.

News are out: Leviathan Falls is scheduled for release in October 2021. Time to re-read all the previous books, about 1 book a month smile

Per aspera ad astra.

Board footer