You are not logged in.

#376 2020-09-23 17:17:47

damo
....moderator....

Re: covid-19 virus

trilobite wrote:

Was reading up the page about beer names.  Thinking.  Would "BunsenLabs Lithium Beer" sell? I think so. I think Lithium sounds perhaps like a light beer, probably a lager.  Helium would be an ale, probably amber.  What other beers might be in the BunsenLabs fridge?

Probably a subject for a non-Covid thread?

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#377 2020-10-10 11:00:39

twoion
ほやほや

Day 219 of permanent home-office.

The 2nd wave (or backsplash from the 1st) is rolling mightily. In Germany, we went from 6k+ infections per day in March/April to 200 per day in June/Juli and are now on track to climb up to 5k/6k+ with >4500 currently per day as cases numbers are surging. It turns that the very largest part of infections is among the young including school students and lowest in the 50 and up cohort. It turns out, as expected, that opening schools was moronic and that propagating "normalcy" throughout the media, over the summer, was also moronic as lots of people have fallen back into their old behaviours. It's a sad state of affairs, and if even staying home and watching Netflix all day is too much for people to bear when it could actually have curbed the pandemic, it tells me that we are doomed in general.

Per aspera ad astra.

#378 2020-10-10 11:54:55

damo
....moderator....

A big plus though: the reported instances of colds and other infections is way down here, with rates of 1%-20% compared to last year. This is presumably due to distancing and hygiene habits because of Covid-19.
Non-Covid infectious disease cases down in England, data suggests

#379 2020-10-10 13:47:02

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

We are on day 201 of the Lock-down in Argentina.

The government has been trying different phases and Argentina is now #6 in the world with 871,468 cases, 23,225 deaths and 697,141 recovered.  A couple of weeks ago we were 8th.

And what are they doing now.  Opening schools.  At the beginning of this they said schools will stay closed until there is a vaccine.  Such a stupid move in light of the rest of the world being in a rebound and Argentina is just surging ahead like it's not happening because of other political mandates.

On a more personal scale:

This household, of three high risk people, went into Phase 1 and we have stayed there this entire time and plan on staying like this until the end.  Whatever that might be.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#380 2020-10-10 15:11:24

ohnonot
...again
Website

More from the EU:
the second wave is rolling.
This was to be expected.
Additionally it seems that getting immune to Covid-19 isn't as simple as getting it once.
I trust science to continue working on this.
Sadly, some people try to deflect from their own failures and idiocies by blaming (all) scientists. My insides are burning with anger as I have never felt for a POTUS, but I must stop now because this is a non-political forum.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#381 2020-10-10 15:17:39

damo
....moderator....

^^ Hope things go well for you.

Since I tick boxes for 2 categories of "vulnerable", I am in the first cohort for seasonal vaccinations. Today I got my flu and pneumonia jabs. Can't wait for a Covid-19 one, whatever Nancy Pelosi implies: "US won't rely on UK for Covid vaccine safety tests, says Nancy Pelosi".

The US FDA is under political pressure to fast-track approval, so I think I'll stick to what the UK govt decides!

#382 2020-10-10 17:36:22

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

I want so badly to smack some sense into {OOPS! politics not allowed}... any COVIDIOT!

For as much as I'd like to see a, quality, vaccine yesterday I'd also like to have anyone close to making one hold off until "after the US elections" simply because DTOTUS is using it as a political tool and he does not instill confidence in me.

#383 2020-10-10 19:13:52

ohnonot
...again
Website

To me it was clear soon after it started that it's going to take at least a year until it's over, i.e. until there's a vaccine.

my repos / my repos

#384 2020-10-11 01:40:08

phuturism

ohnonot wrote:

To me it was clear soon after it started that it's going to take at least a year until it's over, i.e. until there's a vaccine.

Right, and vaccines need to be manufactured and distributed and administered.   And it's likely the vaccines will only offer partial protection.

This article is interesting on R0 and variability in spreading. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch … ic/616548/

Last edited by phuturism (2020-10-11 01:41:16)

L I N U X  -  M O T O R B I K E S  -  B O O K S  -  T R A V E L  -  A S I A

#385 2020-10-11 02:16:43

hhh
Meep!
Website

We're still 2 years away from getting control of this pandemic. Minimum, 2 years, I predict. We're totally on track for doubling worldwide cases by the end of the year, as predicted by the major health organizations. Basically, we have to wait for every remote part of the world to get infected and also hope the virus doesn't radically mutate. A proper vaccine is probably 3 years away, and that will be an insufficiently tested vaccine, so most people won't want to have it.

Most of my friends still think the whole virus thing is overblown. My friends, I thought they were smart. They want to not wear masks, they want their kids back in school. It's called "Virus Fatigue", and we're doomed because of it. The most diligent of us have been wearing a mask for almost 8 months. Babies are growing up not seeing people's smiles. The fallout... Anyway, everyone has had enough and they are starting or continuing to throw caution to the wind.

#386 2020-10-11 05:12:30

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Unfortunately I agree with hhh.  And that has been roughly my thoughts on this since day one here.

As I said before

This household, of three high risk people, went into Phase 1 and we have stayed there this entire time and plan on staying like this until the end.  Whatever that might be.

Two sets of clothing, outdoor and indoor, everything, including self getting washed with soap when coming in, outdoor cloths into the washer. EVERYTIME

But it's become a routine now. My wife thought I was crazy at first, not so much today.

2 to 2.5 years more at a minimum is my guess.

People are tired of it, sure I get that and 'pandemic dreams' are a thing now too.

People will get lax and make mistakes and the virus will spread.

AND then there are the ones that just plain do not get it.  Thinking, it's a hoax, it's fake news, whatever.  They are putting all of humanity at risk.

#387 2020-10-11 06:42:07

glittersloth
...village idiot

Chin up chaps. The worse that could happen is that vaccines do squat and it becomes like AIDS and we just go out with condoms over our face. Think of the privacy benefits!

#388 2020-10-11 07:24:00

ohnonot
...again
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Think of the privacy benefits!

This is an interesting aspect!

Also fashion.
I mostly don't wear a face mask when cycling, but I see people on the sreets who do.
Young people, too, teenagers. They seem to have become fashion accessories (I'm not downplaying the role of facemasks! But yesterday I caught myself looking at a girl with a black facemask, thinking: wow, this looks pretty good).
Something to look at.

my repos / my repos

#389 2020-10-11 13:21:09

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

ohnonot wrote:

I mostly don't wear a face mask when cycling, but I see people on the streets who do.

Well, different places, different rules.
Here - They started by saying; If you are out of your house: Mask up.

Then it became less stringent and the numbers rose and are still rising.

My two main masks, one black, one brown, sheep skin with removable washable filters.
The masks themselves get a light alcohol spray.
There are others that we use that are lighter and 100% washable.
Never out without one, even to dump the garbage.

#390 2020-10-11 20:04:53

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

... and we just go out with condoms over our face.

Wait, we're doing that now. Hold up, it doesn't work as a joke either, a latex hoodie would suffoca...

Ah. Clever.

#391 2020-10-12 04:42:33

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

Board footer