You are not logged in.

#3551 2020-09-16 18:22:36

Martin
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:
Martin wrote:

Oh, since this is a Linux forum: How do you transfer data between your BL computer and an iOS device? I can do it for an Android device but it is unnecessarily complicated. My Nokia behaves like any old USB stick if I hook it up to my computer. Drag-and-drop or CLI...

/Martin

It's a hassle, there's an entire article on it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IOS#Installation.

However, it's not much better on Android. Yes, MTP is available, but in my experience it is unusable because it's so slow; writing movie to the phone takes ages. Same for pulling data. The only workable solution I have is adb push/pull (you can't simply take out the SD card if you opt to encrypt it -- and of course I encrypt all my mobile devices).

These days, all my transfer to/from Android is over the network using RCX https://github.com/x0b/rcx (which is just rclone for Android) and Microsoft Cloud (OneDrive).

For Android <-> desktop computer I have been using https://syncthing.net/
I create a separate transfer folder on each device and fire up syncthing when I want to move things. I don't know about its speed as I have not transferred anything large.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#3552 2020-09-17 12:35:26

glittersloth
...village idiot

ohnonot wrote:

Is it true that they do the updates in a way that underpowered older devices still work afterwards? Meaning, some sort of lightweight iOS update for those 5-year old phones?

Not exactly. Older iPhones won't get all the new features of the newer iOS updates, although most of those features tend to be tied to newer hardware. Eg: an iPhone 7 won't get the AR features (like using your camera to take measurements or the ability to play Star Wars style hologram chess) because it simply doesn't have the required hardware to do that. Aside from that, it's just apps and games that might scale back on features or graphical fidelity on older iPhones, and probably reduced ability to hold as many apps running in background.

Another interesting bit to add to twoion's observation. The iPhone 5s (2013) and 6 (2014) can't run iOS13, but they still get special point releases of iOS12 containing critical security updates, though that may end this year. Not bad for 6-7 year old phones.

Funnily enough, I'm actually moving in the opposite direction. Planning to ditch iPhones for Android as my main phone. Not a fault of iOS, but the society I live in. Everybody seems to want you to install their app now, and it's all e-wallet or Paypal or an equivalent for daily payments. I see no point in keeping an expensive iPhone and locking it down in supervised mode like I always do, only to throw it all away because society wants me to install shitty voyeuristic apps left and right, or to have the health ministry text me at 3:00AM reminding me to wear a mask and wash my hands. Might as well just have one cheapo dirty phone for my dirty persona. I might get an iPad Pro down the line for a clean number-free (yeah, I realize there's cell towers, but at least there's no phone number tied to it - that and we're buying 5G infra here from the Bjorns instead of the Xi) mobile device cum laptop replacement. The days of trying to secure all my devices are long gone. I could practice every anti-tracking/fingerprinting dark art in the book with my Linux laptop/desktop, but my home network was tainted the day I bought that smart TV anyway, so I decided I'll just let my real identity be colonoscoped and keep my sinister fake persona and private/offshore/non-KYC stuff as plugged up as I can on a single device.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-09-17 12:40:13)

#3553 2020-09-17 19:02:51

Martin
Website

glittersloth wrote:

we're buying 5G infra here from the Bjorns instead of the Xi

The Bjorns?
:-)

/Martin

Piet Hein

#3554 2020-09-18 02:17:53

glittersloth
...village idiot

^ Well, the Björns and the Väinös, to be precise.

#3555 2020-09-18 05:42:42

Martin
Website

I guessed so much, I just had never seen it stated in that manner :-)

Singapore orders used to be very important because everyone knew it was not down to bribes. In this day and age of Cold War 2.0 I am not so sure it is as valuable an endorsement of the quality of your products.

An hour from now I will have meeting with colleague by the name of Björn...

/Martin

Last edited by Martin (2020-09-18 05:43:35)

Piet Hein

#3556 2020-09-19 14:44:04

ohnonot
...again
Website

glittersloth wrote:

^ Well, the Björns and the Väinös, to be precise.

That's very interesting. Good, I think. And so (relatively) close to Huawei-country.

glittersloth wrote:

Older iPhones...

Thanks.
All I heard is that someowners of older devices had been complaining about updates making their phones unusable, adn that Apple fixed it.
Anyhow, all this sounds decent.
Makes me wonder even more why people still need to have the newest iPhone every other year.
And disgusted at seeing kids throwing their iPhones around like they're toy trucks.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#3557 2020-09-21 15:55:37

glittersloth
...village idiot

Found on /r/PrivacyToolsIO and thought I'd share. Nothing we don't know already though.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spot … 51355.html

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-09-21 15:55:58)

#3558 2020-09-22 13:24:29

ratcheer

From a hair care product TV ad: "Control isn't given. You take it."

#3559 2020-09-23 01:39:24

johnraff
nullglob
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Found on /r/PrivacyToolsIO and thought I'd share. Nothing we don't know already though.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spot … 51355.html

Thanks, that's pretty good. Detailed, clear and dispassionate. And not 100% obsessed with Google.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3560 2020-09-26 20:47:11

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

And not 100% obsessed with Google.

... or against, either ...
I liked it.
A little dry though.

my repos / my repos

#3561 2020-10-02 17:30:08

twoion
ほやほや

Removed alsaqual from my active ALSA configuration and couldn't be happier, using "raw"/"unconfigured" default audio now, except for defaults.pcm.rate_converter "samplerate_best" . It was a mistake treating my HQ headphones with a LQ equalizer!

Shitty recordings now sound shitty because they are shitty...

Per aspera ad astra.

#3562 2020-10-03 03:47:34

hhh
Meep!
Website

twoion wrote:

I'm looking at you, Jimmy Buffett, Randy Newman and Van Morrison. Hush, Bob Seger, you're one turn of The Page away from this list.

I'm hhh, and I approve of this message.

#3563 2020-10-03 11:45:55

twoion
ほやほや

hhh wrote:
twoion wrote:

I'm looking at you, Jimmy Buffett, Randy Newman and Van Morrison. Hush, Bob Seger, you're one turn of The Page away from this list.

I'm hhh, and I approve of this message.

Was more meant in the vein of bad recordings of beautiful voices, but you have a point; though you can also make technically brilliant recordings of terrible art, as exhibited by most present-day Hollywood film making…

Per aspera ad astra.

#3564 2020-10-03 11:53:29

twoion
ほやほや

Martin wrote:

Singapore orders used to be very important because everyone knew it was not down to bribes. In this day and age of Cold War 2.0 I am not so sure it is as valuable an endorsement of the quality of your products.

/Martin

I am glad that large scale wireless transmission technology still is being innovated on in Europe.

Until the early 2000s, Siemens was a big innovator and supplier in the mobile communications space -- lost & sold. Similarly, during the 2000s and 2010s, once-strong companies in the mobile comms hardware space like Kathrein have been run into the ground -- lost & sold. Once notorious brands of customer electronics, like hq car radios (Blaupunkt…) -- gone. Electronics and radio is not such a good place to be anymore as an engineer in Germany.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3565 2020-10-03 11:56:12

twoion
ほやほや

Martin wrote:
twoion wrote:
Martin wrote:

Oh, since this is a Linux forum: How do you transfer data between your BL computer and an iOS device? I can do it for an Android device but it is unnecessarily complicated. My Nokia behaves like any old USB stick if I hook it up to my computer. Drag-and-drop or CLI...

/Martin

It's a hassle, there's an entire article on it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IOS#Installation.

However, it's not much better on Android. Yes, MTP is available, but in my experience it is unusable because it's so slow; writing movie to the phone takes ages. Same for pulling data. The only workable solution I have is adb push/pull (you can't simply take out the SD card if you opt to encrypt it -- and of course I encrypt all my mobile devices).

These days, all my transfer to/from Android is over the network using RCX https://github.com/x0b/rcx (which is just rclone for Android) and Microsoft Cloud (OneDrive).

For Android <-> desktop computer I have been using https://syncthing.net/
I create a separate transfer folder on each device and fire up syncthing when I want to move things. I don't know about its speed as I have not transferred anything large.

/Martin

I tried syncthing but it worked a bit too much magically for me. I'm now using rclone (as RCX https://github.com/x0b/rcx) under Android & desktop and it works really well.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3566 2020-10-03 19:55:41

Martin
Website

twoion wrote:
Martin wrote:

/Martin

I am glad that large scale wireless transmission technology still is being innovated on in Europe.

Until the early 2000s, Siemens was a big innovator and supplier in the mobile communications space -- lost & sold. Similarly, during the 2000s and 2010s, once-strong companies in the mobile comms hardware space like Kathrein have been run into the ground -- lost & sold. Once notorious brands of customer electronics, like hq car radios (Blaupunkt…) -- gone. Electronics and radio is not such a good place to be anymore as an engineer in Germany.

Being very successful (profitable) means you attract the wrong people, those who are in it for personal gain (money and/or career) and their influence is very destructive. All big European telecom system suppliers have become victims of this process. I am not so sure about Kathrein. I think other things where contributing, like the latest generation of the Kathrein family not being very interested in the business.

/Martin

Piet Hein

#3567 2020-10-03 22:36:34

hhh
Meep!
Website

twoion wrote:

Was more meant in the vein of bad recordings of beautiful voices, but you have a point; though you can also make technically brilliant recordings of terrible art, as exhibited by most present-day Hollywood film making…

Which brilliant recordings?  So many choices. Where the loud sections are so loud that you can't hear the dialog, or where the quiet sections are so quiet that you can't hear the dialog, or where it's full on-Bane?

Never go full-on Bane.

-edit- I'm going with Nolan being intentionally ironic/sarcastic, this line of Bane's is a riot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGIYXtZaXXw

#3568 2020-10-20 22:10:08

twoion
ほやほや

Managed to recover data from a 2014 Motorola G 2nd gen Android phone suffering from infinite bootloop, presumably because of degrading flash storage, in full. Everything worked without even starting Android!

- Enter fastboot bootloader by booting while pressing power + volume down.
- Unlock bootloader, still officially possible even though M does not longer say so, go to https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp … r-device-c and follow the flow.
- In my case, flashing a custom recovery (TWRP) didn't stick -- defaulted to stock recovery.
- Solution: Directly boot the recovery using fastboot boot recovery.img! and the recovery software will load. Get the latest recovery for the Titan platform here https://eu.dl.twrp.me/titan/.
- Enable ADB and use adp pull to download the full file system. Besides /sdcard, don't forget /data and download contacts database, SMS/MMS database, and other interesting data.
- You now have all the data + SMS and contacts as sqlite3 databases.

Of course the device was not encryped. Not so good in today's times, but look what you can actually do.

Will decommission and experiment to see if reflashing with latest Resurrection Remix ROM or so gives it another year or two. Might be useful as an indoor home surveillance camera.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3569 2020-10-21 07:30:08

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ this is good information, twoion. Thanks for sharing.

my repos / my repos

Board footer