You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-19 13:30:09

dhalgren

Bullseye and lithium...

I got a new laptop today, an Acer with Ryzen 5 Vega graphics.

Being not especially cautious I didn't check the hardware, and simply installed BL, only to find tht I needed to upgrade the kernel. I promptly, just to see how well it would work, upgraded to bullseye and rebooted into  a Bunsen session, which I have been using for some hours now with only a few minor glitches (mostly network manager not wanting to use the wifi---not a problem as I am cabled).

In any event, although I expect it to break in a not too distant upgrade, I am thoroughly enjoying myself and the real estate provided by a 1080 resolution.

Of course, I probably will install opensuse and see how it runs the Ryzen, just for the fun of it, before I have to get back to some sort of work.

#2 2019-10-24 17:45:26

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Re: Bullseye and lithium...

dhalgren wrote:

In any event, although I expect it to break in a not too distant upgrade

Why? You will probably be surprised of how long time it takes before it breaks, if it breaks that is?

Breakage also depends on what the user does of course. big_smile

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#3 2020-09-21 07:21:40

Ryan2

dolly wrote:
dhalgren wrote:

In any event, although I expect it to break in a not too distant upgrade

Why? You will probably be surprised of how long time it takes before it breaks, if it breaks that is?

Breakage also depends on what the user does of course. big_smile

Being very cautious about any kind of experiments is preferable.

#4 2020-09-21 21:01:27

hhh
Meep!
Website

dhalgren wrote:

I got a new laptop today, an Acer with Ryzen 5 Vega graphics.

Being not especially cautious I didn't check the hardware, and simply installed BL, only to find tht I needed to upgrade the kernel. I promptly, just to see how well it would work, upgraded to bullseye and rebooted into  a Bunsen session, which I have been using for some hours now with only a few minor glitches (mostly network manager not wanting to use the wifi---not a problem as I am cabled).

In any event, although I expect it to break in a not too distant upgrade, I am thoroughly enjoying myself and the real estate provided by a 1080 resolution.

Of course, I probably will install opensuse and see how it runs the Ryzen, just for the fun of it, before I have to get back to some sort of work.

OK, so this is more of an opinion and observation and not an actual question. I mean, we've just released Lithium/Buster and are only at the most rudimentary stages of developing Bullseye, though a lot of that work has already been done in Lithium. A lot of the delay in lithium's release was due to @johnraff preparing things for his vision of the Bullseye release of BL. A good vision.

We're preparing for things like compton being dead in the short term, and Wayland being default long term.

#5 2020-09-22 07:46:31

dhalgren

\Perhaps I should have noted that my original post was more of a comment also, in as much as i was well aware of the status of bullseye contra buster at the time.

Having no idea of what @ohnraff's vision of a bunsenlabs bullseye  edition will look like, I cannot comment on it, though I will switch to it the minute some sort of release is available (no objection to alpha releases).

In any event, I quickly switched back to lithium testing, (and am now running the stable version), with which there were no appreciable problems once I had installed a backported kernel image. (This is to say that it did break fairly quickly, though opensuse---tumbleweed---did a fantastic job.)

It was all just a bit of fun on my new laptop.

#6 2020-09-23 01:50:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

dhalgren wrote:

Having no idea of what @ohnraff's vision of a bunsenlabs bullseye  edition will look like, I cannot comment on it, though I will switch to it the minute some sort of release is available (no objection to alpha releases).

@hhh somewhat exaggerated my centrality to the BL project vision - it remains very much a group effort - but what I tried to do with some of the Lithium packages was to loosen up some of the strings tying the various bits together so it would be easier to make any switches that might be forced on us by future changes in Debian, and meanwhile easier for users to customize their systems.

In fact, I'm guessing the Beryllium version of BL that comes out with Bullseye will be less different from Lithium than Lithium was from Helium. Partly because I think we're all agreed that it would be nice to get Beryllium released sooner after Buster this time.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#7 2020-09-24 01:44:20

dhalgren

johnraff wrote:

In fact, I'm guessing the Beryllium version of BL that comes out with Bullseye will be less different from Lithium than Lithium was from Helium. Partly because I think we're all agreed that it would be nice to get Beryllium released sooner after Buster this time.

That sounds good to me, even if it is only because I like changes to sneak up on me slowly (and preferably one at a time)!

#8 2020-09-24 02:47:35

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

johnraff wrote:
dhalgren wrote:

@hhh somewhat exaggerated my centrality to the BL project vision - it remains very much a group effort - but what I tried to do with some of the Lithium packages was to loosen up some of the strings tying the various bits together so it would be easier to make any switches that might be forced on us by future changes in Debian, and meanwhile easier for users to customize their systems.

With all the work done to get Lithium out the door it should help make future releases a bit quicker as the new infrastructure developed in Lithium will be a solid foundation for them. Also perhaps incremental improvements within the infrastructure be a lot easier to swallow. Kudos for the hard work on Lithium and it shall pay off well for Beryllium and the future.

Real Men Use Linux

#9 2020-09-26 03:11:54

hhh
Meep!
Website

johnraff wrote:

@hhh somewhat exaggerated my centrality to the BL project vision - it remains very much a group effort...

True, we run everything through the whole team and almost everything through the forum community before making a decision, and major suggestions that get implemented come from all of us, but not much of what @johnraff suggests gets rejected. smile Usually he's one step ahead of what the drawbacks of his proposal are before even suggesting it.

#10 2020-09-28 05:07:49

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

It seems to me that you have everything under control for "Beryllium".  smile

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

Board footer