You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-19 07:32:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

What projects have been waiting to get completed? Now's the chance!

It looks like I, too, am off work - not for good, because my job is "too important", but at least until further notice.

Time to tackle some of those projects you meant to put your hands on for a while - share your list!

Here's mine:

• dist-upgrade my server (afaiu this will include using a different firewall)

• set up a private VPN so I can access a network drive remotely (this will pull in a few other changes)

• clean up my mailboxes, set up some more filters etc.

• clean up my music collection, transcode all lossless formats for streaming (obviously I want to keep all those FLACs, so I will probably have 2 separate but synced music collections)

• get more familiar with Maemo Leste on two devices, but also with their communication channels: mailing list, bugtracker

non-IT stuff: general cleaning, repairing a zipper, bike maintenance (maybe not the last one because it would include buying spare parts)...

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#2 2020-03-19 07:58:37

nore
>2⁹

Re: What projects have been waiting to get completed? Now's the chance!

• Oiling outdoor furniture in the patio.

• Turning around and reviving the frozen compost.

• Changing wallpapers and painting wall panels in upstairs toilet.

On the other hand, I have so much to do with telecommuting, that my working hours are longer than in normal circumstances. Toilet renovation may have to wait until easter leave.

Last edited by nore (2020-03-19 07:58:53)

#3 2020-03-19 18:16:00

hhh
Meep!
Website

Just catching up on hobbies. Biking, the radio show, BunsenLabs... I'll finally have time to program and use my new amp, and play my new electric violin. That's a biggie.

As an anarchist who has almost no financial responsibilities nor family ones, I'm loving this. I had the most amazing bike ride today, a glorious Charleston spring day, all of the bushes and trees were flowering, and almost no people or cars. A nearly silent city. I felt like The Ωmega Man.

#4 2020-03-19 18:31:40

hhh
Meep!
Website

Also, let's note that, in the US at least, this pandemic is highlighting undervalued workers. Not bankers, not celebrities, not athletes, not news pundits, not mega corporations.

It's the people who do the work. Doctors and nurses, delivery drivers, grocery workers, truck drivers, cashiers, dishwashers, garbage collectors, and on and on.

This is the biggest event in the US since 9/11, easily bigger than the crash of 2008. But in both of those cases, the remedy was to go out, shop, eat, drink, unify.

This one means stop, go home, stay there, isolate. And the immediate results of not constantly chasing money are startling. A nearly immediate change in air and water pollution, and of consumption in general, and a re-assessment of what "quality of life" means.

#5 2020-03-19 19:16:09

damo
....moderator....

^ Well said. I'm going to save that text for future inspiration smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#6 2020-03-19 19:55:10

ohnonot
...again
Website

^^ well said. There could be a palpable "AHA effect" for climate improvement, later.

hhh wrote:

Doctors and nurses, delivery drivers, grocery workers, truck drivers, cashiers, dishwashers, garbage collectors, and on and on.

Let's add kindergarteners to that list. Because how can someone else do their important job if they have to take care of a small kid that cannot take care of itself.
Nevertheless most of us haven't been working much this week.
I already hear rumours that the board wants to define that as holiday that has to be compensated with overtime. mad But we'll cross that bridge when the disease is conquered.

nore wrote:

I have so much to do with telecommuting, that my working hours are longer than in normal circumstances.

I met a friend in the forest today who said the same.

---

#7 2020-03-19 20:07:43

hhh
Meep!
Website

Noise pollution. No airplanes, no cars, trains aren't blowing there horns so much, construction is reduced, less pile drivers (the worst noise next to a crying baby).

This event is really important, I hope people aren't panicked so badly that they can't reflect.

#8 2020-03-19 20:09:42

hhh
Meep!
Website

Spring cleaning, I'm going to spend a ton of time tomorrow throwing things away and organizing my living space.

Cooking. I have some recipes I want to try.

Lounging in the front yard in the sun with my stray cats (feral cats I feed that live on the street, literally cats). Heaven.

#9 2020-03-19 20:14:10

hhh
Meep!
Website

Phone calls. I've been talking to my mom almost daily to make sure she's OK (she turns 78 tomorrow). Friends are calling to see how I'm doing. That's been nice, it feels good.

#10 2020-03-19 20:17:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

YouTube and chill, anyone?

#11 2020-03-19 21:59:58

Martin
Website

Working from home since Friday so no extra time for projects. But I did spend an hour on the phone the other day with my 92 year old father.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#12 2020-03-20 08:06:17

glittersloth
...village idiot

No lockdown where I live, but the social distancing is rather nice I must say. Maybe not so nice when I wanna get laid, but right now, it's pleasant. A bit dull seeing everyone in the same style of face mask though. Oh, and to that officer that threatened to arrest me years ago for going everywhere in my full-face Arai*, yeah, in yer face bub!!

* it had a cool Isle of Man logo and tribal shit on the sides. I'm not some dull white stig.

#13 2020-03-20 09:52:05

ohnonot
...again
Website

ohnonot wrote:
  • dist-upgrade my server (afaiu this will include using a different firewall)

• set up a private VPN so I can access a network drive remotely (this will pull in a few other changes)

• clean up my mailboxes, set up some more filters etc.

• clean up my music collection, transcode all lossless formats for streaming (obviously I want to keep all those FLACs, so I will probably have 2 separate but synced music collections)

• get more familiar with Maemo Leste on two devices, but also with their communication channels: mailing list, bugtracker

Have to add ArchLinux re-installation on my desktop to that list. After 5+ years including migration to a new hard drive and a new mobo, that’s probably the best option.

---

#14 2020-03-20 15:37:58

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

I'm not some dull white stig.

Some say he's not been laid since. And that his motorcycle is actually a tricycle. All we know is... He's called The Stig!

shatters the Isle of Man time trial

#15 2020-03-21 08:26:01

ohnonot
...again
Website

Funnily, I did none of the things on my list so far but instead installed SailfishOS on a Sony Xperia XA2!
Both their TOS and privacy policy don’t fully convince me, but they’re probably much, much better than those of [insert quasi-monpolistic corporation]. In any case, it’s all in the EU, that much is unambiguous.
The OS itself lends itself to true Linux hacking (one could argue that it is true GNU/Linux), which is the main reason I wanted to get a supported device (got it really cheap btw, I can only recommend scouring amateur online selling platforms for used smartphones).

Have to get into it now. I’m sure I’ll write a blog post about this.

If I like it I will also shell out 50€ for full support (incl. Android support).

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-03-21 08:48:01)

---

#16 2020-03-21 10:30:07

Martin
Website

Very interesting. My Nokia 700 soldiers on but when it dies...

/Martin

Piet Hein

#17 2020-03-21 11:16:20

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

Funnily, I did none of the things on my list so far but instead installed SailfishOS on a Sony Xperia XA2!
Both their TOS and privacy policy don’t fully convince me, but they’re probably much, much better than those of [insert quasi-monpolistic corporation]. In any case, it’s all in the EU, that much is unambiguous.
The OS itself lends itself to true Linux hacking (one could argue that it is true GNU/Linux), which is the main reason I wanted to get a supported device (got it really cheap btw, I can only recommend scouring amateur online selling platforms for used smartphones).

Have to get into it now. I’m sure I’ll write a blog post about this.

If I like it I will also shell out 50€ for full support (incl. Android support).

Man, I also have an XA2 (H3113) and Sony apparently dropped the ball on security updates (android patchlevel: Nov 1st 2019). I've been mulling over buying an iphone (6 years of support), installing Lineage or going for SailfishOS (fully paid).

Does Sailfish have a good email + caldav/carddav client? Does the camera work? How is battery life? Does 4G/3G/2G band switching work fluently?

Sony has the uncute habit of disabling parts of the camera firmware when unlocking the bootloader (disabling some correction algorithms) which was known to impact camera quality significantly. Any experience here?

That being said, I'm probably going the iphone route. I have to use a photo TAN app issued by my bank, and that app will not work on unverifyable Android or jailbroken iOS. It likely won't start on SailfishOS's Android runtime.

-----------------------------------------------------

My bank also now has a REST API for trading. I'm writing an account management & trading bot for said API. Closed source for now; might open-source parts of it when I'm done.

Per aspera ad astra.

#18 2020-03-21 14:32:52

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

Does Sailfish have a good email + caldav/carddav client? Does the camera work? How is battery life? Does 4G/3G/2G band switching work fluently?

Sony has the uncute habit of disabling parts of the camera firmware when unlocking the bootloader (disabling some correction algorithms) which was known to impact camera quality significantly. Any experience here?

That being said, I'm probably going the iphone route. I have to use a photo TAN app issued by my bank, and that app will not work on unverifyable Android or jailbroken iOS. It likely won't start on SailfishOS's Android runtime.

Too early for me to tell any of that, but I will evtl.
I assume CalDAV/CardDAV works ootb (under settings => accounts); have to configure email yet.
Meanwhile you should check out TJC and TMO.
I'm pretty sure I have seen that last bit mentioned somewhere.

So far I like it overall, but it's early days.

---

#19 2020-03-22 09:21:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ The E-mail client is very bare. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can't make it check for new mail in other folders than INBOX. I can access these folders fine though.
I'm unsure if it can be configured through config files; the UI does not allow for it.
Have to investigate.

There's mutt in openrepos, no other mail clients afaics.

Cal/CardDAV otoh Just Works - no problems there, no apps to install.

Battery life is pretty good.
Initial tinkering with a new phone normally drains the battery fast, but I'm still on the first charge on its third day, 25% now.

There's no question: I like this OS. I inherently trust it (at least relatively more than any other commercial smartphone OS out there).
I like the device, too. Just the right size.
For me right now the only question is whether I shell out 50€ for Android support & predictive input.

---

#20 2020-09-13 08:44:57

Martin
Website

Half a year later: How is your Sailfish adventures going?

Reason for asking: The battery of my Nokia 700 suddenly started showing sings of age. But since I see it is still possible to buy such batteries I may be able to stay away from 'modern' smartphones for yet some time.

/Martin (still working from home)

Piet Hein

#21 2020-09-15 06:32:02

ohnonot
...again
Website

Martin wrote:

Half a year later: How is your Sailfish adventures going?

It's going great.
I have recently shelled out the EUR49 to get on-device upgrades and Android support, so now I have a better browser, too.
There's a few articles on my blog explaining things (they're badly structured atm but the info is there).
This OS is truly GNU/Linux, giving me full control!

Reason for asking: The battery of my Nokia 700 suddenly started showing sings of age. But since I see it is still possible to buy such batteries I may be able to stay away from 'modern' smartphones for yet some time.

I don't understand - surely a Sony Xperia is a "'modern' smartphone"?
And I don't think there's SailfishOS for the Nokia 700 (although some interesting community builds exist).

---

#22 2020-09-15 09:27:53

Martin
Website

ohnonot wrote:

I don't understand - surely a Sony Xperia is a "'modern' smartphone"?
And I don't think there's SailfishOS for the Nokia 700 (although some interesting community builds exist).

What I was meaning to say is that I wouldn't mind continuing with the 700 with its current OS by means of a new battery: staying away from 'modern' smartphones. If I change my mind the Sailfish-Sony combo is a tempting, 'modern' alternative.

I will check out your blog.

/Martin

Piet Hein

#23 2020-09-16 17:30:31

ohnonot
...again
Website

I see.
Isn't the 700 a Symbian device? I think I still have a 701 here, as an alarm clock, and that one definitely is. That means: not a Linux-based OS.
It's not featured on TMO AFAICS...

---

#24 2020-09-16 18:41:23

Martin
Website

ohnonot wrote:

I see.
Isn't the 700 a Symbian device? I think I still have a 701 here, as an alarm clock, and that one definitely is. That means: not a Linux-based OS.
It's not featured on TMO AFAICS...

Yes, I think it is at least derived from Symbian. It could even be just a name change for the last generations.

Btw, a retired colleague was once one of the architects behind Symbian consortium. He had some colourful stories about project meetings in saunas and strategy decisions depending on the outcome of ice-hockey matches between Sweden and Finland :-)

That was before bean counters in slick costumes and with stock options in mind took over :-(

/Martin

Piet Hein

Board footer