#551 2020-09-12 18:06:57

Nick

Re: BunsenLabs film thread

A few recent movies:

Mulan (new live action)
Mission: Impossible - Fallout
John Wick: Chapter 2
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Mulan was Mul-eh. Not very challenging, hero story, formerly outcast and misunderstood girl with pure intentions saves the world and is secretly magic. I liked the original better, the new one had no songs.

Mission Impossible was to me good old fashioned American spy movie, nobody does it like Tom Cruise. Best watched with McDonalds and Code Red Mountain Dew.

John Wicks 2 and 3 were fun but very violent - but the gun scenes were cool, and I'd never seen motorcycle sword fights before.

1917 was cinematically interesting due to the appearance of the movie having been taken in one two hour long shot, a serious story with a serious sad.

#552 2020-09-12 21:00:51

hhh
Meep!
Website

Nick wrote:

... I'd never seen motorcycle sword fights before.

There are motorcyclists with Japanese swords in one scene of the 1989 Ridley Scott movie "Black Rain", starring Michael Douglas. I highly recommend this movie.

#553 2020-09-12 21:19:31

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

I watch Jojo Rabbit the other day....not overly enamored with the movie.  It didn't click with me.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#554 2020-09-12 22:11:17

ohnonot
...again
Website

Nick wrote:

Mulan was Mul-eh. Not very challenging, hero story, formerly outcast and misunderstood girl with pure intentions saves the world and is secretly magic.

Disney. I already wasted a whole sentence on something that hasn't changed in 80 years.

John Wicks 2 and 3 were fun but very violent - but the gun scenes were cool, and I'd never seen motorcycle sword fights before.

I complained about all of the John Wick movies and was told that looking for coherence, plot or story in those movies is besides the point. One apparently needs a high res screen and a complete disregard for dramaturgy or story telling to be able to enjoy a John Wick movie.

That said: Keanu Reeves => The Matrix => The Wachowskis => Sense8
Sense8 is what I've been (re-)watching. Just finished season 1, it has such a solid ending, I'm not sure I even want to go straight to season 2...
I like what the Wachowskis are doing, flawed as it may be.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#555 2020-09-12 23:45:20

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ I understand Cloud Atlas has it's flaws, but I thought it was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s

#556 2020-09-13 02:24:51

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

I refuse to watch Disney remakes.  Mainly because it screws the original people who worked on the original films over.

I'm waiting to hear the news that Disney have bought the rights to LOTR and then they can wreck that as well.

I'm in a cynical mood sorry people.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#557 2020-09-13 08:26:42

Martin
Website

Yesterday I discovered Mosfilm, the Russian film company, has been renovating a lot of films and uploaded them to youtube. A lot of Soviet propaganda but also things like Kin Dza Dza and Tarkovski's films like Solaris and Stalker available in high resolution for free (including English sub-titles).

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#558 2020-09-15 06:25:46

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ very nice, esp. the last two!

hhh wrote:

^ I understand Cloud Atlas has it's flaws, but I thought it was great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s

Oh yes, absolutely brilliant.
Sense8 was written by them, Cloud Atlas wasn't (although I am just finding out that the writer of the book Cloud Atlas has been working with the Wachowskis ever since and helped to write the last episode)!

Still, Sense8 is well worth watching if you liked Cloud Atlas - it shares some of its greater themes.

my repos / my repos

#559 2020-09-15 17:53:39

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Martin wrote:

Yesterday I discovered Mosfilm
/Martin

I just watched:

Анна Каренина. История Вронского.
Anna Karenina. Vronsky's story.
- a free adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's 1877 novel of the same name
- English Subtitles.
- Excellent story, just excellent
- Listening to the original Russian soundtrack adds so much more feeling. People that do voice over soundtracks never seem to do "inflections" correctly.

Next is: Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace - with English subtitles.
Война и мир. Фильм 1.
Война и мир. Фильм 2.
Война и мир. Фильм 3.
Война и мир. Фильм 4.

Never read the book but have heard about it all my life.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#560 2020-09-15 23:52:09

hhh
Meep!
Website

I re-watched Tombstone (1993) last night. It's really great as a western, but Val Kilmer's performance as Doc Holiday and the amazing ensemble cast puts it in another league. Kurt Russell was only sleeping 4 hours a night when they were on their second film director who was almost worse than the screenwriter they hired in the first place. Russell gave himself less screentime, gave Kilmer and the other cast members more, changed the focus of the film away from Wyatt alone to Wyatt's relationship with his brothers, his wife and his affair, and especially with Doc, and saved this film from being crap to being outstanding.

I want to watch it again.

#561 2020-09-16 01:58:42

cog
Developer
Website

+1 for Tombstone.

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

#562 2020-09-16 03:07:29

hhh
Meep!
Website

cog wrote:

+1 for Tombstone.

Val Kilmer's lines are so quotable. Jarre couldn't direct, but he wrote a great script...

Doc wrote:

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.

Make no mistake about it, it's not revenge... It's a reckoning.

I don't know, it's something about the eyes. He reminds me of... me! No, I'm sure of it, I hate him.

You're no daisy Ringo! You're no daisy 't'all!

I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear.

Oh, I wasn't quite as sick as I made out to be.

My hypocrisy only goes so far.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

*after being told he's seeing double* I have two guns here, one for each of you. *spins both pistols into position and cocks them*

#563 2020-09-16 03:35:48

hhh
Meep!
Website

cog wrote:

+1 for Tombstone.

Val Kilmer's lines are so quotable. Jarre couldn't direct, but he wrote a great script...

Doc wrote:

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.

*sarcastically during a poker game dispute* You know Ed, if I thought we weren't friends, I just don't think I could bear it.

Make no mistake about it, it's not revenge... It's a reckoning.

I don't know, it's something about the eyes. He reminds me of... me! No, I'm sure of it, I hate him.

You're no daisy Ringo! You're no daisy 't'all!

I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear.

Oh, I wasn't quite as sick as I made out to be.

My hypocrisy only goes so far.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

*after being told he's seeing double at the end of his 36 hour bender* I have two guns here, one for each of you. *instantly spins both pistols into position and cocks them*

#564 2020-09-16 17:48:26

ohnonot
...again
Website

Sector11 wrote:

Анна Каренина. История Вронского.
Anna Karenina. Vronsky's story.
- a free adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's 1877 novel of the same name
- English Subtitles.
- Excellent story, just excellent
- Listening to the original Russian soundtrack adds so much more feeling. People that do voice over soundtracks never seem to do "inflections" correctly.

Downloading. (*)
Those films are on Youtube (the site links there): https://www.youtube.com/c/MosfilmRuOfficial/videos

(*) Holy cow, it's a 10GB file! 2h10min at 3840x2160px!

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-09-16 18:12:24)

my repos / my repos

#565 2020-09-18 05:37:32

Nick

hhh wrote:
Nick wrote:

... I'd never seen motorcycle sword fights before.

There are motorcyclists with Japanese swords in one scene of the 1989 Ridley Scott movie "Black Rain", starring Michael Douglas. I highly recommend this movie.

Thanks, I've added it to the list! I'll let you know what I think.

ohnonot wrote:
Nick wrote:

Mulan was Mul-eh. Not very challenging, hero story, formerly outcast and misunderstood girl with pure intentions saves the world and is secretly magic.

Disney. I already wasted a whole sentence on something that hasn't changed in 80 years.

I like some Disney, especially the classics and some of the franchises they've acquired, like Star Wars. The Mandalorian season 2 I'm excited for. However there's not been one live action Disney remake I thought was better than the original.

ohnonot wrote:
Nick wrote:

I complained about all of the John Wick movies and was told that looking for coherence, plot or story in those movies is besides the point. One apparently needs a high res screen and a complete disregard for dramaturgy or story telling to be able to enjoy a John Wick movie.

It's an it is what it is situation for me, if I want a gnarly action gun in my face flick what better is there.

ohnonot wrote:

That said: Keanu Reeves => The Matrix => The Wachowskis => Sense8
Sense8 is what I've been (re-)watching. Just finished season 1, it has such a solid ending, I'm not sure I even want to go straight to season 2...
I like what the Wachowskis are doing, flawed as it may be.

I'll have to check out Sense8, haven't seen it yet.

Dobbie03 wrote:

I'm waiting to hear the news that Disney have bought the rights to LOTR and then they can wreck that as well.

I believe there's a new LOTR series being released through Amazon... idk, low expectations here as well.

In any case, anybody see I'm Thinking of Ending Things on Netflix? New film by Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)... It was creepy and fun to watch, left me feeling sad, but I truly did not understand it and will need to watch again.

#566 2020-09-18 19:29:45

eight.bit.al

Sense8 season 2 possible spoiler alert.
Season 1 was okay, enough plot to keep interest. A little too much LGBTQ propaganda for my taste. But maybe I'm not the intended audience for that. I already think anytime two people can find a little happiness in this cold world, they better grab it. Never know when it might come around again. I watched season 1 a while back, it held up for a re-watch.

Season 2 confirmed it for me. The two hour opener was 30 min of plot and 90 min of sex is fun and LGBTQ is okay.  Gave new meaning to cluster fsck. Half way through season 2 and the premise is getting old, even with new antagonists/protagonists.

8bit

Also, the selection of music throughout is most enjoyable.

Also, I don't see the mechanism that allows something to happen to one member and it effects the entire cluster, but only sometimes. Seems only when it works for the story.

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-09-20 14:39:10)

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

Board footer