You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-16 04:07:27

trilobite

Second old laptop with this distro

Well truth is that I put CrunchBang on an eeepc 901 some 7 (?) years ago which makes 3. I still have it. It works. 4gb solid state HD.

Last week put Helium 32bit on an HP6910 probably 2007 vintage.

This week Toshiba Satellite 300 which must 2nd about the same age (was Windows Vista). Both work fine.

Next on the list is another HP. HP6930. It'll be fine too.

These 3 were "free as in sunshine" and I'm giving them away to at-risk COVID-locked up older people. Need more old computers!

I added the XFCE desktop to these as it's more intuitive for the people who're going to use them- I'm imagining they climbed through Windows when previously using computers.

They can do video calls. Telling everyone to use Jitsi for that. Netflix no problem. The rest is up to them.

Need to get some more old lappies now.

Last edited by trilobite (2020-06-16 04:13:10)

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#2 2020-06-16 06:43:35

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Second old laptop with this distro

You giving the eeepc away as well? I'm so in need! wink

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#3 2020-06-16 15:57:42

trilobite

So sorry!  The eeepc is the one I'm keeping. 

Good little travelling device (if I ever travel again).  The customs and security people look at it like it is the computer equivalent of an Easy Bake Oven, a child's toy.

Must say:  BL is really quite outstanding, nicely done. I'd previously been putting on Linux Mint on newer boxes to give away.  Not to criticize, but would suggest LM is a little too much now for the older machines I'm acquiring.

#4 2020-06-16 18:58:04

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

This experience gives me an idea to wipe windows off a laptop and putting XFCE atop BL on it for my mom. As long as it has icons to launch a browser she can access email and chat on facebook. I am going to test this using a spare hard drive in that new model HP.

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2020-06-16 21:18:05

damo
....moderator....

DeepDayze wrote:

This experience gives me an idea to wipe windows off a laptop and putting XFCE atop BL on it for my mom. As long as it has icons to launch a browser she can access email and chat on facebook. I am going to test this using a spare hard drive in that new model HP.

That is what I did for my mother. It was the set up that was easiest for me to maintain, and the most familiar for her after her old XP install.

(She never uses it now - everything is done with iPad!)

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#6 2020-06-16 22:43:09

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

damo wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

That is what I did for my mother. It was the set up that was easiest for me to maintain, and the most familiar for her after her old XP install.

(She never uses it now - everything is done with iPad!)

that's nice...I might even snag the Windows 10 wallpaper and set up the panel to mimic Windows 10 smile

Yeah my mom been using her new iPhone that I bought for her a great deal too, but she does use the laptop at times. She's sick of the constant reboots and already had one virus attack so I might try to convince her to try Linux. I'll even set up the machine for me to access remotely to fix problems.

Real Men Use Linux

#7 2020-06-17 18:14:22

trilobite

I talk to the person and put icons just as you say.  Click and go.  Just don't tell them about sudo or put synpatic on a panel or desktop icon.

Board footer