You are not logged in.

#1176 2020-06-05 21:28:01

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Cool Random Internet Stuff

ratcheer wrote:

I disagree. A full beard makes a man appear more manly, but it is natural. A push-up bra enhances a woman's appearance, but it is by using an artificial appliance.

Jokes on you, my beard enhances my legs when I wear my hose and heels (-edit- unintentional double entendre, maybe a triple, I'm still doing the math on it).

Also, the beard is glue-on. (calculus intensifies)

I'm in a phase, it's hard to explain. There was a lovely/hideous black & white pic posted here or at #! once, I'm sure old-timers will know the one I mean. No, don't Google it. We've all seen Rocky Horror Picture Show.

#1177 2020-06-05 21:49:08

hhh
Meep!
Website

ratcheer wrote:

A push-up bra enhances a woman's appearance, but it is by using an artificial appliance.

Artificial appliance sounds redundant.

Think of it as a guide. "Put your hands here and gently squeeze." And boom goes the dynamite.

#1178 2020-06-05 21:51:48

hhh
Meep!
Website

Random, yes, cool... ? What did I just post? Fuuuuu!!!!!

#1179 2020-06-06 07:56:38

ohnonot
...again
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

This conversation is veering too close to objectifying women, so I'll have to back out, IMHO.

Yep.
Certainly wasn't my intention.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#1180 2020-06-06 08:11:11

glittersloth
...village idiot

I've never worn a beard or grown a bra before, so I can't provide a fair assessment.

#1181 2020-06-22 21:49:23

eight.bit.al

If I had a compatible phone, I'd be all over this:
https://e.foundation/products/

8bit

Computers don't grow, they accumulate.

#1182 2020-06-24 06:22:17

ohnonot
...again
Website

---

#1183 2020-06-24 14:22:06

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

ohnonot wrote:

maybe that: com.android.stk that was scary to uninstall is:

com.android.stk. = com.android.stalking

Personally I'd go back to my dumb phone is a second.  But my kids use in-yur-face_FaceBook
So finally I am comprised and one of the sheep.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#1184 2020-06-25 05:32:21

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ Hey, I'm not dissing /e/, quite the opposite. It's definitely better than stock Android, and more stable than LineageOS. If it wasn't for Maemo & Sailfish, I'd still be using it.

---

#1185 2020-06-25 07:44:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#1186 2020-07-01 15:53:01

cloverskull

https://www.serpentos.com/about/

Not sure if anyone has seen this, from the Solus creator. Seems like a pretty cool and novel approach to building a distro.

#1187 2020-07-02 14:18:41

ratcheer

Ikey? He grew weary of supporting Solus and gave it up. I guess he got the itch, again.

#1188 2020-07-02 16:04:05

eight.bit.al

^ freenode #serpentOS  32 in channel after just a couple of days. Right now - the never ending systemd debate.

8bit

#1189 2020-07-02 16:58:36

Martin
Website

Good, IMHO.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#1190 2020-07-06 07:52:08

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

I am in awe of non-native speakers of English on these forums. They put us to shame with their ability to join in with colloquial banter.
For language nerds, there is a great series of podcasts about language here: https://lingthusiasm.com/. The psychology, anatomy and culture that affects the meaning of collections of sounds, and strings of symbols. is fascinating.

Here's another language video which I enjoyed. Haven't checked out any of that poster's other stuff yet:
The Tribe That Cursed Too Much - the linguistics behind Oceanic taboos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knv1OSMW2rU

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#1191 2020-07-08 01:44:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

re: Ikey, serpentos. I get it. Lispy Snake, Ltd.

https://itsfoss.com/ikey-doherty-serpent-interview/

https://lispysnake.com/

"Listhpy Sthnake". My apologies to those with a speech impediment. Hey, I make fun of my own faults all the time, lighten up.

#1192 2020-07-09 18:13:22

eight.bit.al

Stunning collection of images.

https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/projects/photographs

8bit

#1193 2020-07-09 18:32:35

ratcheer

Very interesting, indeed, 8bit.

#1194 2020-07-09 21:31:15

hhh
Meep!
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

I saw this image for the first time a few years ago...

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont … 96_big.jpg

Great photography.

#1195 2020-07-11 10:16:57

misko_2083

mpv drops support for Gnome
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commi … cccd22acb1
It was later reverted to a warning
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commi … f72910066d
Gnome is refusing to implement a simple standardized Wayland method of inhibiting screensavers using idle-inhibit, something mpv needs.
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commi … 568a4e49c6
Some free software projects have a very hard time making their software function properly under GNOME due to its intentional lack of basic building blocks like server-side window decorations which all other desktop environments have.

Last edited by misko_2083 (2020-07-11 10:24:06)

Што ни оштровиди ум сагледати не може - љубав превазилази.

#1196 2020-07-11 14:46:18

twoion
ほやほや

If you recall there was the drama surrounding the Zoom video conferencing platform because of privacy issues.

Well, today I've tried Zoom myself (allegedly encrypted and whatnot, but who cares, the lecture was public anyway) and ..... the experience on Linux for multi-media video conferencing is FIRST IN CLASS. Nothing comes even close. It's smooth, fast, powerful and bugfree. And here's why: THEY HAVE A CROSS-PLATFORM DESKTOP APP. Written in Qt. That's right, Qt5, the only OSS enterprise-class cross-platform C++ toolkit. If you use a the correct tool for job, you get an application that is miles ahead of the Electron crap all the other vendors are pushing (Microsoft Teams, Signal Desktop, ...). You may say what you like, but Zoom executed beautifully here. It's also what they have in common with the only popular social messenger application that also has a decent desktop application: Telegram Desktop is also a Qt app. One would think all the other services (starting from Slack and ending at BlueJeans) would learn, but no ... Electron they use.

Per aspera ad astra.

#1197 2020-07-11 15:00:28

twoion
ほやほや

misko_2083 wrote:

mpv drops support for Gnome
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commi … cccd22acb1
It was later reverted to a warning
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commi … f72910066d
Gnome is refusing to implement a simple standardized Wayland method of inhibiting screensavers using idle-inhibit, something mpv needs.
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commi … 568a4e49c6
Some free software projects have a very hard time making their software function properly under GNOME due to its intentional lack of basic building blocks like server-side window decorations which all other desktop environments have.

It's just the mpv frontend (mpv binary) removing direct support for GNOME's session inhibition protocol. Indirect support is easy to add (custom user script (fully supported), wrap in gnome-session-inhibit (as shown)). Likewise, frontends other than mpv that use libmpv as their backend (such as gnome-mpv aka celluloid) will be perfectly able to implement what they need without toil.

People who want mpv-like rendering can also use VLC which has libplacebo support courtesy of haasn, which is the rendering abstraction layer that mpv itself uses.

This is not optimal for users who just want to run "mpv" in a terminal because user intervention is required to fix stuff then, but GNOME have been moving into the direction of having GNOME apps since the beginning. With Celluloid, they can have a central GNOME media player with all the features of mpv plus some more what they need.

So, not a very big problem, but of course not nice for the "Linux Desktop". It also shows why Wayland was dead at birth and not a long-term answer to X11. Not that everybody is baking their own Wayland subprotocols, this is the same situation as before with X11 when people had to add X11 extensions by the dozen to accommodate their needs. Now everything is secure but doesn't integrate.

All in all it's wm4's right to implement things this way. He almost singlehandedly (huge support from other people like haasn or pigoz, but you get the idea) built/lead mpv up from the ashes of mplayer2 and to this day is the person making the most commits to it by far. When he went on hiatus for a year, well, there wasn't a release of mpv that entire year.

Per aspera ad astra.

#1198 2020-07-11 19:17:00

misko_2083

^OK. When runing mpv people will have to make a wrapper for the inhibitor.
Why are gnome developers so stuborn? It's a few lines of code that is present in other DE's.

Што ни оштровиди ум сагледати не може - љубав превазилази.

#1199 2020-07-26 10:37:47

ohnonot
...again
Website

Since I found it last night, I keep returning to this blog, esp. this article (it was a true random find btw, not connected to any existing discussion).

I am weirdly fascinated. It's partly some sort of freakshow fascination, I must admit.
But more importantly, this blog of a random LGBT+ (*) person gives me insight into the mindset of "gender activists" (not sure that's a thing, I mean a fairly defined group of people who are very active online, calling everyone "out" to be "transphobic" etc. at the slightest transgression of a set of rules that they themselves set up).

So, about the article. First of all I must say it's absurd right from the start. Rambling. The actual topic of the article ("What is the tipping point of one's crimes to allow their death to be celebrated?") is of little interest to me, I find it childish; but it gives the article a morbid quality right from the start. Possibly that is why the blogger wrote it. I also find the term "celebration" is poorly chosen - it is normal to celebrate death across most cultures. What the blogger really means here is "to rejoice at someone's death".

Be that as it may, here's what I found interesting:

• They say that something is a crime, not because of law but simply because they perceive it so, or because it disagrees with their moral values.

• They compare three very different people with very different "crimes" - all of them were probably arseholes, but their "crimes" are very different in extent and quality, they are held together solely by the fact that they're dead and/or said moral values. To put it shortly: two US politicians that clearly made the rich richer and the poor poorer, one person who opposed a Gender Recognition Act in Scotland.

• Their first conclusion is: if a person has done "sufficiently bad things" it's OK to rejoice at their death.

• Next, the blogger proposes how one should be punished for these "crimes". Again, I find they have rather naive ideas about "healing" these "criminals". They also propose that one should take the law in one's own hand if "victims can not receive proper justice through the state".

• Here's something that should sound familiar to many internet dwellers: "One way I see to erase the crimes is to point them out." - so, if you're being constantly called out and/or doxxed it just might be because somebody is convinced that you committed a crime by their own definition!

Esp. the last two points gave me a better understanding of the overly agressive stance of some "gender activists".
First they define a new set of moral values, raise them to the status of law because a few people agree, then they blame anyone who "does wrong" for their own confusion and suffering.

(*) I decided to let the + stand for all the "rest", as wikipedia suggests - something this blogger would probably disagree with.

---

Board footer