You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-14 17:31:22

Runion

New user to bunsenlabs helium but.....

Hi.  I am a runaway from Windows.  I have run Linux Voyager for a few years.  I am the Install and run it kind of person.  I do some package installs and some terminal installs, not a lot of changes to anything in the system.  I like it simple.

I attempted to install MX Linux about a year ago.  I liked how it ran but the FILE MANAGER was irratic.

(When I say irratic, It does not act like the Linux disto file menus, and I must have tried over 100 distros by now.  None act like the file menu in the DEB distro.
I place the mouse over a file and it selects by itself, I move the pointer and it selects the next file but then deselects the previous file.
I try to select multiple files and that seems a whole new battle.  It does not seem to respond to click the first file then move down and use Ctrl V.  It deselects all between.)

I couldn't use it and saw no other option so I shelved MX Linux and when back to Linux distros.
I am looking for a new distro for whatever reason and because of my MX Linux experience, I have tried to stay away from the Deb distros.  However I did find, by chance the Bunsenlabs Helium distro and the reviews seemed very good so I wanted to see it.

I feel comfortable with this distro, but....  the file manager is just the same as the MX Linux file manager, very irratic.

Ok, I am big enough to admit that I may be doing something or I don't understand the file manager but I have used file managers from the time they were invented, and i am talking from the early beginnings of DOS menus.  I have been through all the Windows op Sys's upto but NOT including Windows10, Linux Mint, ubuntu Studio, many other distros and landing on Voyager so I am not exactly the new kid on the block, in some ways.

I am also having a problem with the out dated Adobe Flash that comes with the install.  I can't find a way to replace it.

As for the file manager, does this have different controls than the normal file managers?  As it is, or my not understanding how to use it, and that is a strange feeling if it is true, then at present this program is not beneficial as I need a working reliable file manager.  I am in it during most of my computer time.  any thoughts would be helpful on either subject.

I have been looking through the pages to see what anyone else may have done with the file manager, but I have yet to find even a comment, so whats the secret?

Thanks for any thoughts.
200214 1130

#2 2020-02-14 18:04:14

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Re: New user to bunsenlabs helium but.....

Hi and welcome.
Many of us are Windows runaways and fugitives, so you're among friends.
Regarding file managers, why don't you try something other than Thunar, for example pcmanfm.

#3 2020-02-14 18:24:13

THX1138

Bunsenlabs is a Great choice. Obviously you will know it was born of Crunchbang Linux.
Malm suggests pcmanfm. Personally I prefer a fork of that called spacefm
Anyway I hope you like bunsenlabs theyre a great bunch of EXTREMELY knowledgeable devs
with a great distro and forums that are a lot of fun

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#4 2020-02-14 19:16:52

rbh

Runion wrote:

I am a runaway from Windows.

Wellcome.

I place the mouse over a file and it selects by itself, I move the pointer and it selects the next file but then deselects the previous file.

Yes, thunar acts default like that. Pcmanfm, spacefm, and some others do not.

I try to select multiple files and that seems a whole new battle.  It does not seem to respond to click the first file then move down and use Ctrl V.  It deselects all between.)

If you hold Shift and select the last file in the range, the whole range will be selected. If you want to add some single files, release Shift and press Ctrl.

I feel comfortable with this distro, but....  the file manager is just the same as the MX Linux file manager, very irratic.

You can use many more. The full list of file-managers in debian repo is on page https://wiki.debian.org/FileManager

I have used file managers from the time they were invented, and i am talking from the early beginnings of DOS menus.

If you liked Norton Commander, you might like Midnight Commander (# apt install mc)

Last edited by rbh (2020-02-14 19:17:22)

// Regards rbh

#5 2020-02-15 01:45:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi Runion, welcome to the community!

Runion wrote:

This is the default behaviour, but you can easily change it in Thunar's preferences. There's no need to install a different file manager.

Open Thunar, then Edit>Preferences>Behaviour choose "Double click to activate items".
(I prefer it that way too.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#6 2020-04-21 20:37:31

Runion2

I appreciate the responses.
I was going to shelve the BunsenLabs Lithium distro from all the problems I was having but I came back here for one last time.
- The help with the File Manager has it back under control, many many thanks for those telling about the different control keys.  Why would they do that?
- I can only run BunsenLabs Lithium from the live USB.   I am NOT ABLE TO INSTALL this distro as it stops during the installation about where it is finding network data.
BunsenLabs Helium did install, as did many other distros so the glitch must be in the installation scripts.
- Now that BL Lithium is more or less undercontrol, I am enjoying it more and really like some of its unique features though since it does not log in new program names, it may not fare out as well for a direct install on the hard drive now.
- Just wanted to say thanks for the FileManager info, that really made a huge difference of how the file manager was reacting, now it is under control. Wow.

I will be looking for then next release for comments or the actual release of the distro itself.  As this one cannot be installed I won't be too concerned as it is a non release for comments.
- Thanks again, you all are great...

200421 1445

#7 2020-04-21 21:19:10

damo
....moderator....

Runion2 wrote:

... it does not log in new program names, it may not fare out as well for a direct install on the hard drive now....

It should do, unless you are running an openbox-session instead of the (default) bunsenlabs-session. jgmenu will auto-update new applications, unlike the Openbox menu, which is one of the reasons it was added to Lithium. How that works in a Live session though, I'm not sure.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#8 2020-05-26 18:18:59

Runion2

I appreciate your time, considering this is only a test release...

- in response to :
It should do, unless you are running an openbox-session instead of the (default) bunsenlabs-session. jgmenu will auto-update new applications, unlike the Openbox menu, which is one of the reasons it was added to Lithium. How that works in a Live session though, I'm not sure.

I am running from the Thumb drive as live, I cannot install BL Lithium as a system.  Someone said they think this is a quirk that a certain chip is having - I don't know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me.  I am sure it will be found and fixed.

I can, however install BL Helium as system, however it failed with the flash, it won't load, where the Lithium flash works out of the box.  Thumbs up on that.

I have found the BL Lithium a very interesting system, I like it a lot and when all the quirks are worked out, it will be a pretty great system.  Even with the quirks it has now,  I like it a lot and will continue to use it for a USB source along side my MX-Linux usb.

I am not selecting open box, this is in reference to BL Helium which I had installed as system.  I did normal start ups, and the addition of programs did not add to the menu, I had to use terminal to bring them up.

How do I get the (default) bunsenlabs-session to run so the added program names are updated?  Again I am referencing Helium since Lithium won't install as system, but I have attempted (tested) adding programs to Lithium in its present form, and it does not add the new program names to the menu either.

Default is a term I understand but if I am running on default then perhaps this fore mentioned chip is interrupting the process again??  I don't know.

Really like the Lithium system and I can be tempted to run it as system when the quirk is fixed and the menu update is corrected.

You guys are doing a great job, thanks for the comments.

Lenovo M91p,  Lenovo M58p, Acer Aspire One, Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga
R

#9 2020-05-26 18:35:23

DeepDayze

For a file manager PCManfm can't go wrong. Also Lithium has been pretty darn solid even with the test ISO even installed to bare metal.

Real Men Use Linux

#10 2020-05-26 21:40:42

hhh
Meep!
Website

Runion2 wrote:

I appreciate your time, considering this is only a test release...

Yes and no. Some minor tweaks will occur before our upcoming Official Release, but this is essentially what we are releasing next.

#11 2020-05-26 22:23:08

damo
....moderator....

Runion2 wrote:

I am not selecting open box, this is in reference to BL Helium which I had installed as system.  I did normal start ups, and the addition of programs did not add to the menu, I had to use terminal to bring them up.

How do I get the (default) bunsenlabs-session to run so the added program names are updated?  Again I am referencing Helium since Lithium won't install as system, ...

Helium doesn't have bunsenlabs-session, it is the new default for Lithium. You can install jgmenu if you want, in Helium:

sudo apt-get install -t stretch-backports jgmenu

If you have questions about using it I suggest you start a separate help request thread. After reading the manpages of course wink

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#12 2020-06-24 12:28:16

deanr72

I'll throw in my thoughts. SpaceFM doesn't have a trash bin so when you delete stuff it's gone. Not useful. Dangerous. Plug-ins? I couldn't find any that worked.

PCManFM wins.

Last edited by deanr72 (2020-06-24 12:28:35)

Board footer