You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-16 21:05:33

The Byte Size Brawler

Hello And Greetings From The UK

Hello everyone and greetings from the UK smile

Another longtime Windoze user (since Win95)that is new to Linux, here is a little background information on how I got here.

To cut a long story short my main laptop is beyond repair (fixing it is going to cost more then it worth in the long run) plus in the current climate and state of affairs, I really can’t justify spending a lot of cash on either repairing it, purchasing a new laptop or building a new PC rig. So I’ve dug out and dusted off my old 2011 laptop and decided to recycle it (I had some ram and a spare solid state hard drive laying about which I’ve upgraded)

My laptop specs are the following:

Compaq Presario CQ57
AMD E-450 1.65 GHz Dual Core Processor With Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6320M
8GB Crucial DDR3 PC3-12800 SODIMM Ram (2x 4GB Sticks)
Kingston KC600 256GB SSD

Firstly I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone that is involved in this Linux distro. After testing and digging through the multitude of different lightweight Distros out there, I spent a good few months on antiX although it ran like a hot knife through butter I felt it was lacking something, like there was something missing I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. So I went back to the distro list and discovered this distro, I was super impressed with how lean, mean and downright snappy this distro is even booting it and shutting down it's automagically big_smile . It makes my bottom end CPU which to be honest in 2021 has all the processing power of a baked potato feel like it running on rocket fuel, I really cant begin to describe how great this distro is!

Also many thanks to the users in this forum, I’ve been reading some great beginner sticky threads which have been a really great help on my road to learning more about how it works. I'm still searching for a media monkey alternative so I need to do some research in finding a Linux alternative but overall I’m really enjoying my first taste and experience of Lithium.

Obviously I’ve got a long way to go and so much to learn but I’m here for the long haul, I look forward to getting to know you all and hopefully adding something positive to this community.

#2 2021-05-17 01:32:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Hello And Greetings From The UK

Hi The Byte Size Brawler, welcome to the Lab! smile

Your Compaq specs don't look all that bad - 8GB of RAM and a reasonably roomy SSD should be plenty for a lot of work.
I don't know much about your processor though - maybe a more hardware-savvy member can advise.

There is usually a Linux alternative for Windows apps, or a different approach to the task that works OK...

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2021-05-17 23:22:27

The Byte Size Brawler

Re: Hello And Greetings From The UK

Thanks for the warm welcome johnraff  smile

Yeah the upgrade of 8GB of ram, SSD and using Lithium certainly has brought this old girl a whole new lease of life. The processor is certainly showing its age now (saying that it wasn't particular great when it was released, more aimed towards the budget notebook/laptop and desktop pc market for causal light office work, browsing the web etc) it only spikes and hits 100 percent CPU average on start up after the login screen for a few moments. Using a few extensions on Firefox I can run YouTube and have multiple tabs open at the same time without it struggling (normally around the 60 to 80 percent mark) so its all good for the time being.

Yeah I was looking at an all in one media monkey alternative but I would probably be best using a separate metadata tagger and music player combo, I will get myself into the research department of the Lab and do some digging.

Board footer