You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-15 04:48:42

Rockbell

Hello brave new world!

Hello, nice to be here.
I've been using Ubuntu for a long time. A while ago i tried crunchbang and an early bunsenlabs version.
Now I'm trying again and I like it a lot!
Runs fine on this old Dell laptop that is an important support for my small business.

Only one thing:
The highlight color of the default theme is a bit too loud for me, can you change that?
I would love to have the Lithium theme in beautiful shades of gray. Is that possible?
How do you change themes at all? I tried the Appearance menu, but it does nothing.

Otherwise a really great distro.

#2 2021-05-15 05:15:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Hello brave new world!

Hi Rockbell, welcome to the community! smile

GTK themes are changed by lxappearance: menu > Preferences > Appearance
Openbox Themes (frames and window decorations) are changed in: menu > Preferences > Openbox > WM Preferences
There are some preset theme collections available: menu > BL Utilities > BLOB Themes Manager

And here's an Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Have fun!

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2021-05-16 03:39:19

Rockbell

Many Thanks.

I tried the Appearance Menu yesterday and it didn't respond. That was the live version.
Today I installed Bunsenlabs and it works. This is strange, has this ever happened to anyone?
I can see in the Blob Theme Manager and Appearance Menu that I have themes to choose from. But what I wrote first is still true: I like BL Lithium best because it's flat, but I would like to change the highlight color. Is this possible?

I correct: the Yeti theme is flat and I like it, but it has a few other problems, e.g. invisible buttons.
I would just love to change the highlight color of the lithium theme.

Last edited by Rockbell (2021-05-16 03:51:35)

#4 2021-05-16 04:11:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

You can edit any theme:
1) First find the one you're interested in among the directories in /usr/share/themes and copy it to $HOME/.local/share/themes
2) Change the name so you can identify it in menus.
3) Open the directory and edit the files to taste. This is the hard part, and might requre a good bit of research on GTK theming. I'm afraid I'm not the person to ask about that. @hhh might be able to help with the highlight colour. The openbox theme is mostly defined in <theme-name>/openbox-3/themerc
4) Your new theme should now appear in the menus.

Sorry not to be any more helpful about your specific issue.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#5 2021-05-23 05:41:00

Rockbell

Sorry for late reply, I was very busy.
I have copied BL lithium to $HOME/.local/share/themes and renamed it to BL-Fullmetal. I can find the theme in Appearance, but not in Blob Theme Manager.
But now I don't know, how to continue, there are so many files.
What is @hhh? A user here? Can she help me?

Last edited by Rockbell (2021-05-23 05:41:36)

#6 2021-05-23 09:51:28

rbh

Rockbell wrote:

I have copied BL lithium to $HOME/.local/share/themes and renamed it to BL-Fullmetal. I can find the theme in Appearance, but not in Blob Theme Manager.

You use Blob Theme Manager, to backup your ~/.local/share/themes/BL-Fullmetal and some other important userfiles, so it is easy to restore if you make error when editing theme.

If you are so lost, is it realy the right quest fore you to learn how to edit the the theme? As johnraff pointed out: "This is the hard part, and might requre a good bit of research on GTK theming. "

Yes, hhh, is a user here. He reads the forum quite regularly. In many electronic forums, @ prepended a string usually denotes a user.

Last edited by rbh (2021-05-23 09:53:49)

// Regards rbh

#7 2021-05-23 10:45:49

damo
....moderator....

Rockbell wrote:

Sorry for late reply, I was very busy.

BLOB saves the setups that you are using at the current time. Just run it and save a new BLOB collection - name it how you like. It will include the OB/GTK theme configs if you select that option, so you can restore them together in the future, and will save a screenshot for reference.

Have a look at the BLOB section in Getting Started > Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

NB Rather than using this Intro's section for a help request, may I suggest you open a new thread in Basic Help & Support? wink

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Board footer