You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-09 10:54:56

xuve

Hello by xuve

Hi all I am new here and happy to find a system that works for me after all the things I learnt while using ubuntu together with the frustrations that started with ubuntu 17 and later Ubuntu distros...
I read what talbergor mentioned about many reasons why he/she came here and I thank him/her for voicing my exact concerns...thank you to all those who have put their time and effort to work out (as a French painter said "I am not an artist: I am an artisan. Only god creates...as for me I WORK") so thanks to those who WORKED for this "beautiful angel Lithium"
NB I was afraid I mess up the installation by installing in English in a place that mainly speaks Arabic i.e., Morocco. As I have been teaching English for decades, I use it in CG so I had trouble configuring English with my place of work and also my keyboard which is Slavic. So my real time zone is GMT zero..and my residence is Morocco but my system uses American English...

Thank you bunsenlabs

#2 2021-05-09 13:43:05

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Re: Hello by xuve

@ xuve

That's one of the nice things about Linux, not sure about Windows, it's been 14 years for me but:

Linux is great, we get to meet some really interesting people and have it setup the way we want it setup.

My setup being a Canuck in Argentina:

TimeZone: Argentina (GMT|UTC -3)
Locale: Canada
Language English Canada
Keyboard: Spanish (latam)

Welcome to the labs.
Looks like you didn't mess up the install at all  smile

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3 2021-05-09 20:37:22

xuve

@ Sector11,
thanks for your encouragements and you are RIGHT: interesting people and it's set up just the way you want it to be...oh windows...I always have a great laugh (now that I am part of Linux community) a laugh that I never realized it would exist (the truth is not only queerer than we suppose but queerer than we CAN suppose) when I worked for so many years on windows wasting my time really...and now as I said I have a great laugh when windows pops up a spinning window and saying " WINDOWS IS TRYING TO SEARCH FOR THE PROBLEM..."windows is always TRYING to do something...but never really doing anything at all...
have a nice time and thanks again
PS No I didn't mess up things thanks to the way great people have set up the system.

#4 2021-05-09 21:05:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

I do like the fact that I tried to keep the Windows 10 partition in my latest laptop when I installed Debian but managed to delete it through partition stupidity, and I don't even care.

Nice introduction, xuve. Welcome to the forums.

#5 2021-05-09 22:34:53

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

This is for xuve's amusement as others have heard it.

I came to 'linux' in July 2007 when I started my computer one morning and windows started to load and POOF the blue screen of death with a message from Windows stating there was no hard drive on my computer.

I remember thinking ONLY Windows can do that, boot off the only harddrive in a computer and then tell me there was no harddrive.  Not that it was corrupt, not that it failed - it just did not exist!

Next day I went to a cybercafe and downloaded Ubuntu 7.04 and then installed it on that HDD that didn't exist.

It's still in an old P-III downstairs running SliTaz GNU/Linux.  Although, to be honest, my MIL has not turned it in in a couple of years.

Now, I uses windows every day.  I open them in good weather and close them when there is bad weather.  Windows are very useful.  We have various versions throughout the house.

You'll be just fine here as long as you stay away from damo's biscuits in the coffee room.

#6 2021-05-09 22:41:18

damo
....moderator....

Biscuits? Did I hear someone is after my biscuits?  mad

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#7 2021-05-10 01:22:28

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi xuve, welcome to the Lab!

xuve wrote:

So my real time zone is GMT zero..and my residence is Morocco but my system uses American English...

That works. My time zone is Tokyo (GMT +9), system language is British English, keyboard layout is Japanese... No problem. cool

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2021-05-10 06:53:17

ohnonot
...again

Just like S11 and others said: these sort of things (different locale, timezone, keyboard layout etc.) are totally possible on Linux. You can even create your own locale!

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#9 2021-05-10 12:42:36

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

damo wrote:

Biscuits? Did I hear someone is after my biscuits?  mad

Now now damo, calm down.  I was just telling xuve that he shouldn't shouldn't touch em if he wanders onto the coffee room and sees them on the counter by the coffee machine.

He's ne and doesn't know all the coffee room rules.

1. NEVER touch damo's biscuits!
2. If you empty the pot you clean it and make a fresh pot.
3. Wash your own cup, the maid quit.
4. The day old doughnuts from the shop behind the Lab are for everyone, if you are the first in, open the back door and bring them in.

#10 2021-05-12 10:40:39

xuve

thanks to all who participated in this introduction/discussion that you can barely find among windows forums as they are really concerned with error reporting all the time...Sector11 you are a great find to me thanks a lot for the biscuits and the laughs I owe you a cup of coffee, though...I am really grateful to bunsenlabs living with you guys in the lithium lights...see you all,
xuve...
PS. I wonder why I always had over 3 or 4 gigas in my volume information folder under windows...I don't know what windows takes from the drive and reports it...it's called volume info....ans it's encrypted...a few files that make up over 3 gigas...

#11 2021-05-12 15:06:53

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Coffee!  I distinctly heard coffee ....
aaaaaand I'm off to the coffee room.

xuve wrote:

PS. I wonder why I always had over 3 or 4 gigas in my volume information folder under windows...I don't know what windows takes from the drive and reports it...it's called volume info....ans it's encrypted...a few files that make up over 3 gigas...

If you are asking me, you're asking the wrong guy.  I have one encrypted window and I refuse to let the guy out:
encrypted-window.jpg ← Who knows what information he has collected!
big_smile

Board footer