You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-19 04:38:13

hhh
Meep!
Website

The sorry state of Steam on Linux

A.K.A. The sorry state of my ten year old hardware on linux.

So, it's really old. I hooked up the new monitor and the graphics sucked OOTB, completely choppy. So I look into installing the Nvidea driver for my card, but the Quadro is old enough that the legacy driver has been dropped from bullseye, which I'm running. But it's available in sid, so I think "screw the risk" and install it and all is perfect.

So, install Steam from the Steam website, they have a deb package. It won't run, missing libgl.1.s0 or something.

Find a post that suggest installing something like nvidia:i386, now the computer won't boot into the login manager (lightdm), so I drop to TTY, uninstall everything nvidea, reboot using nouveau, boom I'm in but video is jittery beyond use again, so reinstall nvidea from sid again, good.

Now Steam suddenly opens, so I install Path of Exile after enabling the beta channel. It's a six hour install. It crashes when running it with the uninformative error "invalid 'T' sector". So it's saying my graphics card is too old, fine. But this is NINE HOURS later.

I try installing Star Trek Online. No dice after another hour.

Currently installing Strife because the title is fitting, it's almost done. Will I finally achieve victory, or will the third and final boss defeat me?

#2 2021-04-19 08:11:17

twoion
ほやほや

Re: The sorry state of Steam on Linux

Funny, I never had problems with Steam on Linux, for years... I can only recommend you set up a dualboot with Arch or switch to Arch because it's "well supported" by the community there. On the other hand, only Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is officially supported by Steam maybe give that a try as well? libgl is usually provided by the gfx driver package (either mesa or a proprietary libgl), so libgl missing at one point clearly points towards an improper install of the nvidia driver. IIRC setting up xorg.conf manually may also be necessary in difficult configurations --- however, I believe the main property of the unsupported/legacy nvidia drivers is that they don't support current versions of Xorg, not necessarily the kernel, which is why it may not have started. People are going so far as to install old versions of Xorg to keep these drivers going I hear.

Again, on Arch these acrobatics can be easier because the archlinux archive has many old versions of packages including X11 archived, so with a bit of tinkering you can build and rebuild packages for an "old" Arch system from scratch. I don't think this is possible with Debian/Ubuntu, which only tend to have most recent package versions on file.

There is no competition between bugs. When you combine two awesome bugs, you get a totally awesome bug.

#3 2021-04-19 20:48:22

Naik

^ AFAIK with proper apt pinning you may have older versions of any package in debian too, but I wouldn't even try to do this for Xorg... wink

Anyways, what strikes me the most is how fast a hardware is too old in terms of gaming nowadays. That's the reason why I ended up buying my son and myself a gaming console instead of further compromising our laptops...

naik --greetz

"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

#4 2021-04-19 23:40:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

Thanks for the feedback, @twoion!

@Naik, agreed. Plug even an old N64 in or a PS1 and your set up for instantly hours of fun, no driver upgrades or configurations required or additional libraries.

BTW, Strife didn't run. SuperTuxCart ran but was unplayable. Steam is now gone from my rig. Currently playing GNOME Chess and losing (repeatedly, I think I've on once).

Board footer