You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-06 14:22:46

ratcheer

Google wants to prescribe security to Open Source

https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/04/ … _security/

The entire open source movement started because things were locked down, and shit. "Need to fix your printer's code? Nope, it is forbidden."

#2 2021-02-06 19:15:51

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Re: Google wants to prescribe security to Open Source

ratcheer wrote:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/04/ … _security/

The entire open source movement started because things were locked down, and shit. "Need to fix your printer's code? Nope, it is forbidden."

If I could I'd tell Google where to go, how to get there and what to do once there.

AND I'd close & lock the steel door and weld it shut, including the keyhole.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3 2021-02-06 20:49:01

ohnonot
...again

Google has proposed a framework (...) its approach may be at odds with open-source culture.

That is putting it mildly.
Always trying to look like they really care - after you sell them your soul. Which too many people are already taking for absolutely granted these days.

Re Google and Open Source, I still recommend this article:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07 … necessary/

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#4 2021-02-07 20:28:43

twoion
ほやほや

Maybe they could have started by forcing an eternal upgrade mechanism into their Android OS distribution so that even phones which are no longer supported after 1-2 years by their OEMs can be used securely for a long time. Not even their latest Android iteration can do without OEM support for deployments. It has been a shitshow for 10+ years, only slightly getting better by virtue of Samsung, who now offer the longest software upgrade cycles on even midrange products. Still nowhere close to Apple.

Given that billions of obsolete Android devices, which run an OS based on largely open source software components, are still being used productively daily and hold banking apps, communication logs, and personal media of several billion people, Google's very own track record is about as bad as billions of insecure devices.

They recently also stopped shipping updates to some chromebook devices. Literally a web browser on a minimal Linux distro and they stopped the updates...

Interesting to hear what Google says about fixing their own stuff.

一期一会

#5 2021-02-07 22:16:29

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

twoion wrote:

Maybe they could have started by forcing an eternal upgrade mechanism into their Android OS distribution so that even phones which are no longer supported after 1-2 years by their OEMs can be used securely for a long time. Not even their latest Android iteration can do without OEM support for deployments. It has been a shitshow for 10+ years, only slightly getting better by virtue of Samsung, who now offer the longest software upgrade cycles on even midrange products. Still nowhere close to Apple.

Given that billions of obsolete Android devices, which run an OS based on largely open source software components, are still being used productively daily and hold banking apps, communication logs, and personal media of several billion people, Google's very own track record is about as bad as billions of insecure devices.

They recently also stopped shipping updates to some chromebook devices. Literally a web browser on a minimal Linux distro and they stopped the updates...

Interesting to hear what Google says about fixing their own stuff.

Have to give props to Apple for even still supporting devices that are 10 years old. Too bad Google can't even provide updates to the base OS to the makers after say 2-3 years for the various flavors of Android out there. I have a Samsung Galaxy Prime that's 5 years old and only got updates from ATT for the first year....sad state of affairs. Now I have an Apple iPhone XR that's 2 years old and still well supported and expected to be supported for *at least* another 3-5 years.

I no longer use the Samsung Galaxy as a phone but only as a music player so have removed/disabled all apps and don't even use the browser.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-02-07 22:17:22)

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2021-02-08 19:14:33

trilobite

These two quotes capture everything, rather politely.

Good luck with that, Google"

"it does seem far removed from the norms of open-source culture.

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#7 2021-02-09 05:06:11

ohnonot
...again

DeepDayze wrote:

I no longer use the Samsung Galaxy as a phone but only as a music player so have removed/disabled all apps and don't even use the browser.

Where it's possible.
I tried the same on a Samsung phone that doesn't get updates anymore; esp. those Samsung apps can't even be disabled.
There's no way to just disable internet connections, either.
mad

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

Board footer