You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-09 00:13:14

blackup

Heya

Greetings, everyone. Just wanted to thank you for making this eye-pleasing distro.
I am quite a newbie in Linux world, except when it's about distro-hopping. Earlier today BL came to my mind again so I installed it on my laptop. I've been playing with it for few hours. Successfully installed software that I needed but screen tearing gave me headache (nvidia 820m card -.- ). I followed some links on youtube and somehow managed to fix it but right after, every time I logged into system, I had to manually fix screen resolution/wallpaper (laptop + external monitor). It made me scream and I replaced BL with another openbox distro. Shortly after that, I again ended up reading BL forums. Realised I maybe wasn't patient enough during first attempt so here am I, writing iso to usb before bed so I can give BL another chance when I wake up.
Once again, thanks for all the effort you guys putting into this beauty, giving us opportunity to choose something else than corporate telemetry crap.
Looking forward to spend more time here and learn as much as possible. See you around.

"It's not about kill. It's about hunt."

#2 2020-12-09 05:04:30

damo
....moderator....

Re: Heya

Hope it goes well for you, and thanks for letting us know about your experience smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-12-09 14:10:15

sleekmason
zoom

howdy blackup, and welcome!
You will find the community here to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful.  Always feel free to ask questions.  Hope you get your issue sorted with the nvidia card.

#4 2020-12-09 18:59:09

blackup

Hey, guys. Busy day in rl so I had no much time to play with BL.

So far, looks like I successfully installed nvidia drivers. Screen tearing is no more. What I am dealing with right now is trying to make nitrogen restore my wallpapers and their scaling properly after reboot. Tried some methods mentioned in earlier threads on BL forum that included nitrogen --restore && sleep 2 and such but none of them worked. Also tried with feh but I am not able to set two different wallpapers on two different screens so solution I stick to is restoring BLOB theme every time I log in.

Another minor issue I am experiencing is mirrored login screen which wasn't the case before installing gpu drivers but I guess I can live with these two for now. I am off to install some software and try to be productive now when I don't have to spend bunch of time "ricing", due to sweet default BL theme.

Last edited by blackup (2020-12-09 19:00:18)

#5 2020-12-10 22:43:02

blackup

Small update:
couldn't stand those two minor issues and reinstalled BL. Skipped installing nvidia drivers. Added this line at the end of /etc/bunsen/compton-startup:

--backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc

and voila! At first, I tried adding it to /.config/compton.conf and /.config/bunsen/autostart but it was working only after 1st restart. Next time screen tearing would be back.
Fortunately, I found useful info on line 190 of /.config/compton.conf :-)
Now smooth scrolling is back without paying the price of ruined login screen/wallpapers. Things are nice and tidy. *slurp :-)

Last edited by blackup (2020-12-10 22:46:31)

#6 2020-12-11 00:13:49

hhh
Meep!
Website

Newbie, huh? You did all the trouble-shooting on your own. Welcome to the BunsenLabs Forums, where no distro is excluded from the conversation, and no newbie is too new.

#7 2020-12-11 06:30:14

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi blackup, looks like you got it! smile

blackup wrote:

I found useful info on line 190 of /.config/compton.conf

Also, in the Menu > Preferences > Compositor there are:
Edit Compositing Settings (opens /.config/compton.conf in an editor)
Edit compositing system settings (root) (opens /etc/bunsen/compton-startup for editing)

Please excuse the inconsistent capitals.  hmm

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2020-12-11 11:24:34

blackup

Thank you hhh and johnraff.
These nice, useful shortcuts are triggering my ocd easily. Wasn't satisfied with my solution so I went back to /etc/bunsen/compton-startup and simply removed # tags from lines 40, 61 (edited: --vsync opengl-swc) and 114 so now file has 1 line of code less and looks more native. Tested with couple of reboots and it works lovely. :-)
I'll end this mentioning hardware I was dealing with, in case someone else has similar problem on same device:

blackup@Okama2001:~$ lspci -nn | egrep -i "3d|display|vga"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0a16] (rev 0b)
08:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] [10de:1140] (rev a1)

Btw hello, Alex. Welcome to this friendly place. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do so far. See you around. :-)

Last edited by blackup (2020-12-11 11:26:28)

Board footer