#1 2020-10-28 08:33:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

EU embracing open source?

This link came up today:
Open source software strategy
https://ec.europa.eu/info/departments/i … trategy_en

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#2 2020-10-28 11:07:04

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Re: EU embracing open source?

For some reason they trigger me (the EU FOSS proposals and 'strategy'), I mean are we talking about reuse of 'ls' and 'curl' (edit: the pdf actually talks about vlc and putty and there is a slight mention of ai) or are we talking about AI propelled scene detection in your 'not yet released' FOSS video editor/composer?

edit: Imho improved strategy should be 'Reusable FOSS tools that get you home at 1700 hours'.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2020-10-28 17:37:44)

#3 2020-10-29 07:35:22

ohnonot
...again
Website

I remember that this was mentioned in some journalistic article a while back (so must've been in the planning phase still, or refering to the previous implementation).
It's important I think, if only to "Progress towards digital autonomy of Europe’s own, independent digital approach".

Scroll beyond the downloads for a comprehensive quick summary. I agree with most points.

Generally speaking, politicians need (more) people who know about IT proper, and they need to start listening to them.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#4 2020-10-30 23:33:52

hhh
Meep!
Website

ohnonot wrote:

Generally speaking, politicians need (more) people who know about IT proper, and they need to start listening to them.

Also known as "Younger politicians."

#5 2020-10-31 07:18:09

nore
>2⁹

^No, IT experts of any age, who know how to talk to politicians. And politicians of any age, who listen to experts, because they understand that they themselves can not be experts for everything. That is, a society that promotes general (scientific) education.

#6 2020-10-31 08:14:52

ohnonot
...again
Website

ohnonot wrote:

Scroll beyond the downloads for a comprehensive quick summary. I agree with most points.

The key objectives of the new strategy are to enable the Commission to:

Progress towards digital autonomy of Europe’s own, independent digital approach;
    Implement the European Commission Digital Strategy;
    Encourage sharing and reuse of software and applications, as well as data, information and knowledge;
    Contribute to the knowledge society by sharing the Commission’s source code;
    Build a world-class public service;

The implementation of the strategy will be guided by 6 principles: think open, transform, share, contribute, secure, stay in control. In practice, the Commission aims to reinforce an internal working culture that is already largely based on the principles of open source and achieve the goals of the strategy by the following concrete actions:

Set up an Open Source Programme Office in the Commission;
    Set and promote the inner source default;
    Enhance the software repository;
    Revise software distribution practices;
    Enable and create innovation with open source labs;
    Develop skills and recruiting expertise;
    Increase outreach to communities;
    Integrate open source in internal IT governance;
    Ensure OSS security;
    Encourage and promote inner source;

I wonder what "inner source" means?
Sounds like typical political phrasing to me, but there's a few key points that resonate.

And btw, this is not only on paper, we are seeing this already happening in the EU, e.g. public sites using Openstreetmap for embedded navigation. That one's easy because it's visible but I guess it applies to the frameworks used as well.

my repos / my repos

#7 2020-10-31 09:41:11

Martin
Website

Then you have München dropping Windows in favor of FOSS quite a number of years ago. It was not done to save money but to ensure that the running of their IT systems was based on decisions made in München rather than by the product management of a company in the U.S. The political opposition and Microsoft claimed this was a waste of taxpayer money. I don't know the current state of affairs. Long-term consistency is hard to achieve in democracies.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#8 2020-11-01 09:13:49

ohnonot
...again
Website

Martin wrote:

Then you have München dropping Windows in favor of FOSS quite a number of years ago. It was not done to save money but to ensure that the running of their IT systems was based on decisions made in München rather than by the product management of a company in the U.S. The political opposition and Microsoft claimed this was a waste of taxpayer money. I don't know the current state of affairs. Long-term consistency is hard to achieve in democracies.

Keyword LiMux.
It has been reverted in 2017 although it's been working nicely for many years. It was a political <expletive_deleted>, most likely fuelled by Microsoft. See the last paragraphs under #History:

In 2014, Munich deputy mayor, Josef Schmid, and mayor, Dieter Reiter, considered going back to Windows due to alleged productivity problems. However, Stefan Hauf, the spokesman of the Munich city council stated that the majority of issues stem from compatibility issues in OpenOffice, something which could be solved by switching to LibreOffice. Moreover, the head of municipal IT services, Karl-Heinz Schneider, stated that most things were fine, and they had managed saved some 10 million euros (more than 13 million dollars). He emphasized that the number of complaints and malfunctions hadn't exceeded the usual level for an organization of this size. Microsoft had announced in 2013 its willingness to move its German headquarters to Munich in 2016, which according to Reiter though, is unrelated to the criticism they've presented against the LiMux project.

In November 2017 Munich city council decided to revert to Windows by 2020 with all systems being replaced by Windows 10 counterparts. Some of the reasons cited were adoption and users being unhappy with the lack of software available for Linux. A report commissioned by Munich and undertaken by Accenture, found the most important issues were organizational.

In 2018, journalistic group Investigate Europe released a video documentary via German public television network ARD that claimed that the majority of city workers were satisfied with the operating system, with council members insinuating that the reversal was a personally motivated decision by lord mayor Dieter Reiter. Reiter denied that he had initiated the reversal in gratitude for Microsoft moving its German headquarters from Unterschleißheim back to Munich.

I believe this drama would play out differently in this decade, after Trump, after all the Google/Facebook scandals.

my repos / my repos

#9 2020-11-01 11:42:41

twoion
ほやほや

I fear the EU has little left to do. Few EU corporations are leading in the software that is powering massive-scale b2b or b2c general purpose applications, such as cloud platform data + control plane implementations that power AWS or Azure or GCP. The only competitive proprietary softwares still coming out of EU are specialty applications without the potential for massive scale and adoption, on average, I dare say (excluding the EU operations of foreign tech giants).

Per aspera ad astra.

Board footer