You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-21 11:55:22

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,026

Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

Existing users and users trying to register may find themselves unable to receive any subscription notification, password reset or sign-up emails from us. This is because a few weeks back, Microsoft has started to block the IP address ranges of our SMTP-as-a-service provider Sendgrid on practically all of their free and possibly also paid email hosting service platforms. This means that emails to you, should you use a @live.com, @hotmail.com, @outlook.com or similar Microsoft email service, will never arrive as they are just not getting accepted in general.

We moved to Sendgrid 5 years ago in the hopes of not having to deal with email deliverability issues again, because it is not getting easier to send email directly to the big hosters from random cloud IP address ranges, but as we likely won't be able to or want to cough up money in order to get a clean, dedicated source IP address from Sendgrid, we need to evaluate other options and eventually migrate to another email sending setup.

Until then, please use an email address not hosted at Microsoft for signing up, and if you put value into receiving notifications for your topic subscriptions, we recommend to switch email addresses, too.

If you have problems signing up, please email admin@bunsenlabs.org -- as some of new users have already done -- with your username and from the email address you used when signing up; we'll be happy to manually set a password for you so you can sign in normally after registering (although it may take a day or two).

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.


Per aspera ad astra.

Online

#2 2020-10-21 13:02:04

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 1,031

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

Gmail and yahoo email domains should work. Microsoft has been actively blocking domains it thinks are a magnet for spammers and maybe Sendgrid got caught up in that. Wonder if spammers have been using sendgrid for their malicious emails enough for people to be reporting it?


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#3 2020-10-21 18:48:03

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,404

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

hhh wrote:

+1.  Very impressive.


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#4 2020-10-21 18:51:44

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 10,755
Website

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

^ I deleted my post, I can't see a free account option any more.

We've been using it for free as our BL internal email client for over five years now with no problems, so maybe $1 a month is worth it. They haven't billed us, grandfather clause I guess.

And I've jinxed it, we'll probably get a $300 bill next month.

Offline

#5 2020-10-28 11:41:38

rbh
Member
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 750

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

twoion wrote:

a few weeks back, Microsoft has started to block the IP address ranges of our SMTP-as-a-service provider Sendgrid on practically all of their free and possibly also paid email hosting service platforms. This means that emails to you, should you use a @live.com, @hotmail.com, @outlook.com or similar Microsoft email service, will never arrive as they are just not getting accepted in general.

Do you have any source for this? I am member of Swedish GreenParty. They have bought a crappy suplier for membership-services: kommed.se, they use sendgrid for membership mailings.
I asked our IT Manager, if I, due to the blacklist, had to manualey mail affected accounts. He had not heard abot it...


// Regards rbh

Offline

#6 2020-10-28 17:46:23

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 2,152
Website

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

Similar problem reported on this forum.

Offline

#7 2020-10-28 20:52:25

rbh
Member
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 750

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

Ok. Paid services is not affected. Most hotmail-accounts that received my last mailing, has read the mail.


// Regards rbh

Offline

#8 2020-10-28 21:42:14

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,026

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

rbh wrote:
twoion wrote:

a few weeks back, Microsoft has started to block the IP address ranges of our SMTP-as-a-service provider Sendgrid on practically all of their free and possibly also paid email hosting service platforms. This means that emails to you, should you use a @live.com, @hotmail.com, @outlook.com or similar Microsoft email service, will never arrive as they are just not getting accepted in general.

Do you have any source for this? I am member of Swedish GreenParty. They have bought a crappy suplier for membership-services: kommed.se, they use sendgrid for membership mailings.
I asked our IT Manager, if I, due to the blacklist, had to manualey mail affected accounts. He had not heard abot it...

Just our own data. The only big hoster which blocks our email is Outlook Live (aka hotmail etc).

38p6z3.webp

That and users emailing admin@ directly. I've manually signed up 3 users this month, and that's only the users who bother I guess.


Per aspera ad astra.

Online

#9 2020-10-29 14:59:19

trilobite
Member
From: Saskatchewan, Canada
Registered: 2017-06-27
Posts: 47

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

I'm using gmx email for non-work email.  Create and delete email addresses at will. No idea what the merits of various free web mails are.  But I avoid google and microsoft things the same way I avoid sour milk.


{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

Offline

#10 2020-10-29 16:15:02

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 1,031

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

trilobite wrote:

I'm using gmx email for non-work email.  Create and delete email addresses at will. No idea what the merits of various free web mails are.  But I avoid google and microsoft things the same way I avoid sour milk.

So far Gmail and Yahoo still work AFAICS...unless Google and Yahoo start going the way of M$ and starts blocking IPs of mail services such as Sendgrid's.

So it does look like Sendgrid's getting blocked by M$ if other forums using it are reporting issues.

@twoion have you opened a case with Sendgrid about this?

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-10-29 16:15:32)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#11 2020-10-29 23:45:24

rbh
Member
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 750

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

trilobite wrote:

I avoid sour milk.

But sour milk and youghurt is much healthier than fresh milk! The lactic acid bacterials, are douing wonders in the body.


// Regards rbh

Offline

#12 2020-11-02 21:44:01

kozimodo
Member
Registered: 2015-10-04
Posts: 68

Re: Problems with receiving our email on Microsoft hosts

It appears to be that Sendgrid is at least intermittently on spamhaus's sbl list.  Received an email from bunsenlabs earlier today but not since.  From the log on my personal mail server:

Nov  2 16:42:38 box postfix/smtpd[23765]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from xtrwptqk.outbound-mail.sendgrid.net[167.89.55.65]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [167.89.55.65] blocked using zen.spamhaus.org; https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL500526; from=<bounces+1917583-afb4-user=example.com@mailer.bunsenlabs.org> to=<user@example.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<xtrwptqk.outbound-mail.sendgrid.net>

Last edited by kozimodo (2020-11-02 21:44:52)

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB