You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-18 15:26:58

wrobat

[Solved]How do I set up a VPN connection?

I would consider myself an amateur at best when it comes to configuring Linux. I went to protonvpn for a free vpn to get my feet wet with this since my trust is growing ever smaller. I tried setting up their software and it tells me and authentication error. They do provide OpenVPN / IKEv2 username and password. I got network-manager-openvpn-gnome installed but I can't for the life of me figure out what I need to do. For some reason when I go into networking my head starts to spin.

If someone can help me out or point me in a direction that can explain this at a 5 year old level I would a appreciate it.

Thank you.

wrobat

Last edited by wrobat (2020-10-18 16:57:23)

Windows free since Crunchbang 8.10

#2 2020-10-18 16:16:23

glittersloth
...village idiot

Re: [Solved]How do I set up a VPN connection?

Not a ProtonVPN user, so can't really handhold you. I assume you followed this;
https://protonvpn.com/support/linux-vpn-tool/

You say "authentication error" which would imply you installed their tool successfully but have trouble with login credentials. Do you get some sort of member/user dashboard on the website? If so, you can usually find the required credentials there. They're different from your regular ProtonVPN member username and password.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-10-18 16:17:48)

#3 2020-10-18 16:28:40

wrobat

Yes, I did that. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with that but they provide credentials for an openvpn connection I hoping to get help with.

I'm sorry this stuff just confuses me to no end.

#4 2020-10-18 16:40:57

wrobat

Well thank you for the link, it helped me get to the one I needed
https://protonvpn.com/support/linux-vpn-setup/

I feel stupid when I do this.

Thank you

#5 2020-10-18 16:43:27

glittersloth
...village idiot

So, using this screenshot featured in the guide as reference, you're getting the authentication error at the "Enter your ProtonVPN OpenVPN username/password" part?

If that's truly the case, nobody here will be able to help you, I reckon. Helping you setup the client is one thing a forum can help with, but authentication involving your account is between you and the provider.

Just to confirm, are you sure you're looking at the right OpenVPN-related credentials on your user account dashboard on their site, and are you sure you're entering them (copy-paste is your friend) correctly? Also, assuming ProtonVPN requires your email address for registration, did you confirm/authenticate your account in the email they sent you (if any) right after the registration?

Edit:
Ah, looks like you got it working in the time I took to type this. Good to know. Mark the topic [Solved] once you're sure everything's working fine.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-10-18 16:47:15)

Board footer