You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-24 20:24:35

manyroads
Member
From: around here, somewhere
Registered: 2019-04-16
Posts: 61
Website

Openbox setup...

Lately as the world has become unglued, I have been working a bit on improving my Openbox & bspwm skills.  Recenttly I have been setting things up to run on MX and arch based platforms (esp. manjaro).  Given I have made some pretty good progress (by my definition) I thought I'd share my current Openbox layout.  btw. I apologize that I have not done this yet with BunsenLabs.  The tools I am using include:

1. tint2 to track and manage Workspaces visually as well as my system tray. You'll note apps running on some of my 10 workspaces... apps are set to open magically on designated workspaces.
2. conky to track resource and space usage.
3. jgmenu because it is 'slick' and fits nicely on tint2 for easy application access; btw. I, also, use rofi as a tool to access app from my F1 key.
4. pyWal to dynamically recolor toolbars, terminals, etc. and change wallpapers
5. zenity & yad are used to manage and present various dialogs (an online help dialog is shown on one of the images).

Openbox-MX19-1-mocp-neofetch-jgmenu.png Openbox-MX19-1-tint2-rofi-workspace-trackers-Conky.png Openbox-MX19-1-zenity-help-calcurse-midnight-commander-Conky.png

When I have bspwm 'up to snuff' I'll place a write-up here somewhere.  Details on how-to to build these (as well as access to the relevant dotfiles for those who are interested), will be available from my eirenicon.org website.


Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau (manyroads)
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."    ---H. L. Mencken
Reg. Linux User #449130

Offline

#2 2020-03-25 03:31:04

MALsPa
Member
From: albuquerque
Registered: 2016-06-20
Posts: 189

Re: Openbox setup...

Very nice!

manyroads wrote:

Details on how-to to build these (as well as access to the relevant dotfiles for those who are interested), will be available from my eirenicon.org website.

Good, I'll want to take a glance at some of those.

Thought it was interesting that you have "Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)" at the top of your conky instead of MX-19. I haven't really played around with jgmenu yet as I'm a big fan of the obmenu menu editor. tint2 is great -- I'm even using it in Fluxbox instead of the Fluxbox toolbar.

Offline

#3 2020-03-25 05:42:05

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,630
Website

Re: Openbox setup...

manyroads wrote:

4. pyWal to dynamically recolor toolbars, terminals, etc. and change wallpapers

Does this reflect in the screenshots? 2 different wallpapers = 2 different color schemes? They look the same to me.
Anyhow, if you'd like to elaborate on using pywal, I'd be thankful.


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#4 2020-03-25 13:57:38

manyroads
Member
From: around here, somewhere
Registered: 2019-04-16
Posts: 61
Website

Re: Openbox setup...

@MALsPa The conky 'mis-label' has something to do with what the devs at antiX & MX label the distro as being.  On all arch based distros my conky command gets a useful label.  Oh well....jgmenu works nicely.  I have problems getting obmenu-generator to work correctly with the native tools on MX and antiX; everything else seems okay.

@ohnonot I use pyWal a lot.  I have it set such that everytime a new terminal is loaded.  The background and most variable settings in things like my polybar, terminal change at that time.  Because it's automated and based on my wallpaper image(s), the variations in color are sometimes great and other times nearly invisible.  I have noticed that I like photos that use very similar color palettes.... you can read more about my experiences with pyWal on my site here: https://eirenicon.org/?s=pywal


Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau (manyroads)
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."    ---H. L. Mencken
Reg. Linux User #449130

Offline

#5 2020-03-27 08:34:41

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,630
Website

Re: Openbox setup...

manyroads wrote:

I use pyWal a lot.  I have it set such that everytime a new terminal is loaded.  The background and most variable settings in things like my polybar, terminal change at that time.  Because it's automated and based on my wallpaper image(s), the variations in color are sometimes great and other times nearly invisible.  I have noticed that I like photos that use very similar color palettes.... you can read more about my experiences with pyWal on my site here: https://eirenicon.org/?s=pywal

Ah, so it doesn't actually change the window decorations.
Anyhow, thanks for the link, I will take a look!


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB