You are not logged in.

#101 2020-03-17 23:47:38

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: covid-19 virus

glittersloth wrote:

Fwiw, I'm personally calling it the Wu Tang virus, mainly because I feel they're the most overrated hip-hop group in history.

Agreed, but Old Dirty Bastard was unique. Agreed on everything else.

#102 2020-03-18 00:08:55

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

He meandered a bit by including his fetish for rich horse-ladies...

That's no fetish, that's just good common sense. Yeah they're always crazy, but the sex is fantastic! Get out early, that's my only caveat, and then move without a forwarding address, change your phone number and assume a new identity. Even then it's not sure that you're out, because of the crazy and the crazy resources and race horses they have.

Lol, that was OK. Good post, hhh.

#103 2020-03-18 00:22:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

johnraff wrote:
iMBeCil wrote:

But, honestly, now, what is really the gain in testing people to covid-19 (I'm talking about people with normal (as in non-fatal), mild or no symptoms)?

Surely it's about slowing proliferation? Even people with few or no symptoms can infect others, I understand. People with the virus can at least avoid going out...

The more we (humanity) can slow down the spread, the better the chance of developing a vaccine in time to bring it to a halt.

Yes, it's about trying to predict the next hotspots so resources can be effectively allocated. The whole "flatten the curve" response has nothing to do with making less people sick and everything to do with not overwhelming hospitals which results in more of the sickest of us dying.

It is a piss-poor response, it means the virus will last longer this initial season, resulting in longer global shutdown and the resulting economic fallout. Even with socialized medicine in the First World except for the US, this is the best they could do? It is the third recent exposure of the failures of our corporate-oligarchy ruled society. 9/11 and the 2008 global recession didn't teach our leaders bupkiss.

And that is the end of my rant, thanks for tuning in!

#104 2020-03-18 00:30:38

hhh
Meep!
Website

Oh, and everybody get ready for when this strain settles down in, oh, I don't know where... yes I do, equatorial Brazil, and mutates and next year or soon after Covid-20 or whatever sweeps across the globe in the opposite direction with a less lethal but still significant health and financial toll.

What a time to be alive.

#105 2020-03-18 04:20:29

cog
Developer
Website

It’s been weird on this end.  I had bronchitis and fractured rib and ended up in the hospital before everyone started freaking out.  Also oil crashed, that’s the sector I work in.

Then...

The Coloradans came down and raided our little grocery store on the New Mexico side of the border.  We’ve just been fishing 24/7 and enjoying nature.  The river is normal as can be!  Also our client in the oil and gas industry said they’re gonna work through it so I’ve been doing title work online in between catching badass fish.

I think it’s gonna settle down some like Malcom Gladwells study in one of his books about the bombings in World War II.  People eventually get use to stuff.

I read a real good post from Australia.  We need an outbreak of thinking about others and only getting what we need.

It’ll level out.  I do feel for any of y’all in the hi-risk category. Hope everyone stays good.

Last edited by cog (2020-03-18 04:39:30)

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

#106 2020-03-18 06:28:02

ohnonot
...again
Website

misko_2083 wrote:

Empty stores and lines of people waiting in front of drugstores. Forbidden gatherings of people and travel ban to other countries. We had that in the nineties for years so it's nothing new for us. We got used to this. All of this is new for you so it must be harder for you.

I wouldn't say that for all our forum members, but this is true for myself at least: grew up in central Europe, it's always been largely safe & quiet.
OTOH, I am trying to find out if something about this pandemic is indeed worse or larger than what we had before.
Look at this chart, everything that says "Worldwide".
Helps put things back into perspective.
Media hype has a short memory.
Maybe people are also flying even more nowadays than, say, in 2009.

That brings me to a question I'd like to pose to y'all:

If, right now, someone is abroad, what should they do:

1. stay right where they are

2. get (on a plane) home immediately

???

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-03-18 06:28:32)

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#107 2020-03-18 06:31:50

damo
....moderator....

cog wrote:

I think it’s gonna settle down some like Malcom Gladwells study in one of his books about the bombings in World War II.  People eventually get use to stuff.

I read a real good post from Australia.  We need an outbreak of thinking about others and only getting what we need.

It’ll level out.  I do feel for any of y’all in the hi-risk category. Hope everyone stays good.

Saw a good comment, along the the lines of...

hey millenials, your grandparents had to live through a World War, and all the restrictions and dangers it caused. They pulled together and fought together and suffered together.

You are being asked to wash your hands and sit on the couch. Don't f**k it up!

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#108 2020-03-18 06:48:49

glittersloth
...village idiot

ohnonot wrote:

???

Well, it appears that simply getting on a plane and heading home is getting really hard now with all the travel restrictions being put in place everywhere.

damo wrote:

Saw a good comment, along the the lines of...

hey millenials, your grandparents had to live through a World War, and all the restrictions and dangers it caused. They pulled together and fought together and suffered together.

You are being asked to wash your hands and sit on the couch. Don't f**k it up!

Here's what I don't quite get. Almost everywhere on the web, there seem to be write-ups about hand-washing, as if it's some newfound lost art. Seriously, how filthy have people been prior to all this?

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-03-18 06:54:34)

#109 2020-03-18 08:00:13

damo
....moderator....

glittersloth wrote:

Here's what I don't quite get.... Almost everywhere on the web, there seem to be write-ups about hand-washing, as if it's some newfound lost art. Seriously, how filthy have people been prior to all this?

I doubt if it was ever a found art - apart from amongst health professionals, and OCDers.

Just seen this in today's Guardian: Keep it clean: The surprising 130-year history of handwashing

Last edited by damo (2020-03-18 08:29:34)

#110 2020-03-18 09:54:42

misko_2083

ohnonot wrote:

???

There is flight ban in the USA.
My cousin is under quarantine for 28 days in there.
After that he can come back.
When he get's back after that it's another 28 days in the quarantine for him here.

Што ни оштровиди ум сагледати не може - љубав превазилази.

#111 2020-03-18 16:34:44

ohnonot
...again
Website

About flying home:
IMO, it's a very human and very typical and very, very irresponsible thing to do: sh!t is coming down, I have to get home quickly!
So talking to people, they make logical leaps by the busload to justify that they have a very good reason to do that. Since my workplace is rather international this is actually happening right now.
Add to that that the Finnish government has not (yet) imposed travel bans, they were even calling to their fellow citizens abroad to get home NOW.
This is exactly the sort of selfish reaction that spreads the disease.

glittersloth wrote:

Here's what I don't quite get. Almost everywhere on the web, there seem to be write-ups about hand-washing, as if it's some newfound lost art. Seriously, how filthy have people been prior to all this?

Matter of degrees.
As an adult, I can attest that I wash my hands maybe 5 times a day instead of 3 times. And possibly longer.
For kids I can say that they will do this very, very perfunctorily, and often we adults don't bother to insist. Kids are dirty anyhow, that's a fact, not an insult!
But currently both parents & professionals are pulling in the same direction and all our kids wash diligently with soap and warm water and the right motions. We told the older ones to count to 30, the younger ones to sing a song while washing smile

Another thing that worries me:
I got the impression from some media reports (and people on other forums) that young people develop a certain carelessness towards the rules of self-isolation, because their age group is so low risk. Add to that closed schools and universities, this sounds liek a real problem.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#112 2020-03-18 17:57:06

eight.bit.al

ohnonot wrote:

I got the impression from some media reports (and people on other forums) that young people develop a certain carelessness towards the rules of self-isolation, because their age group is so low risk. Add to that closed schools and universities, this sounds liek a real problem.

Read somewhere this morning:

hey millenials, your grandparents had to live through a World War, and all the restrictions and dangers it caused. They pulled together and fought together and suffered together. You are being asked to wash your hands and sit on the couch. Don't f**k it up!

Doesn't look good for the US:
https://scrot.cloud/image/virus-chart.ag1O

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#113 2020-03-18 18:11:57

damo
....moderator....

eight.bit.al wrote:

Read somewhere this morning:

hey millenials, your grandparents had to live through a World War, and all the restrictions and dangers it caused. They pulled together and fought together and suffered together. You are being asked to wash your hands and sit on the couch. Don't f**k it up!

Yes - I wrote it! post ^

#114 2020-03-18 18:15:02

eight.bit.al

^  Nice, forgot where I read it.  smile

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#115 2020-03-18 20:15:07

twoion
ほやほや

Germany is now close to doubling officially registered (=symptomatic and significant) infections every 2 days:

imdW.png

Per aspera ad astra.

#116 2020-03-18 20:16:22

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

Seriously, how filthy have people been prior to all this?

Generally, I'll refer you to Urban Dictionary. Specifically, it's somewhere between Hoarders and Two Girls One Cup, that's the closest I can get.

#117 2020-03-18 20:33:25

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^^ @TwoIon's graph: I know it is too much to expect from media people, but I would literally like to slap personally any reporter [1] who doesn't show much much more informative logarithmic graph.

BTW, in Croatia, from midnight, there is a ban of almost anything except food and pharmacy stores. Which means that my favored pub with the most fine and cheap beer (original Kozel and Pilsner Urquell) will not work on Friday. I'm afraid ... what if my waifu divorces me because of this? monkey monkey

[1] Anyone have time to GIMP this for me? For a beer?

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#118 2020-03-18 22:40:09

damo
....moderator....

iMBeCil wrote:

[1] Anyone have time to GIMP this for me? For a beer?

Link? Job specification?

#119 2020-03-18 22:52:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

^You get what you pay for.

BlAY4Pt.jpg

Holy irony, Batman!

Yes, old chum! It seems that he who laughs last... laughs best. *drinks a glass of milk*

#120 2020-03-18 23:00:10

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Hahahahahahahahahaha ... o dear LMAOTF  ... hhh smile You forgot the funnel devil

@Damo: The text should be "Make it a logarithmic graph" (or something more in the spirit of real English language). As I indicated, people are showing lin-lin graphs of infected patients, instead of log-lin graphs; the latter would be infinitely more informative. (When one is studying exponential curve, log-lin axes graph makes sense; lin-lin axes graphs don't.)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#121 2020-03-19 09:16:11

damo
....moderator....

^ But I still don't know which graph, which text to go where etc hmm

#122 2020-03-20 22:19:38

twoion
ほやほや

damo wrote:

^ But I still don't know which graph, which text to go where etc hmm

It's always safe to assume that things are getting worse by the day:  https://corona.help/country/germany (have an ad blocker). And yes, there's an option for a logarithmic scale.

Daily infection counts (<=maximum provisioned testing capacity, so probably all at least 2x higher in reality) over the past few days were +2k, +3k, +3k, and today we got +4k. Looking at how little people actually heed the advice to self-quarantine and social-distance themselves, I'm positive we'll be looking at +10k daily next week. The future consequences are there to see right in Italy.

Here's how bad Europe is doing in direct comparison: https://corona.help/compare/logarithmic … an/taiwan/

I'm staying put, won't visit my parents. Hope they don't get sick (50+ & 70+ w/ preexisting conditions). Unfortunately they only watch TV news in the evening so they have no real idea how bad this is except for what public broadcast is telling them. Though I keep calling them daily.

Per aspera ad astra.

#123 2020-03-21 00:13:13

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Saw a video yesterday of 50 Military vehicles carrying over 600 coffins out of "Ground Zero" in Italy as their crematorium could not handle them all, so the bodies were being delivered to surrounding cities, villages to be cremated.

SO SAD!  And still there are idiots that will not stay at home.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#124 2020-03-21 00:55:00

damo
....moderator....

Sector11 wrote:

SO SAD!  And still there are idiots that will not stay at home.

But at least this story has a (relatively) happy ending. The first news caused a "what an idiot" reaction, then more detail came out...
No prosecution for man who 'failed to self-isolate'

#125 2020-03-21 03:53:27

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Hey, homeless but responsible gets my respect way over someone with a home but refuses to stay in it.
==========
The 26-year-old handed himself in at police headquarters in Douglas on Thursday evening.

He had been unable to find a place to self-isolate after arriving that morning, a police spokesman said.
==========
...so he did find a way to self isolate.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

Board footer