You are not logged in.

#351 2020-09-13 01:24:48

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: covid-19 virus

^ OK, if anyone is going into the independent beer brewery business, please make this the name of your first beer... "Gloating Dobbie Metalbeer". It should be a high-alcohol beer like an India Pale Ale, and I'd say 7% ABV or higher. Bonus points if it's brewed and bottled in New Zealand.

#352 2020-09-13 01:34:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

Fine, 6% ABV. I thought you were better than 6%, New Zealand. Choosing taste over punch, what the hell? Are you guys secretly Dutch?

https://oct.co/essays/everything-you-ne … ealand-ipa

All right, so we need to lobby Garage Project to name a beer after Dobbie, "Gloating Dobbie Metalbeer"...

https://garageproject.co.nz/

Let's make this happen as a statement of solidarity in the face of the Global Pandemic that is covid-19. Cheers.

#353 2020-09-13 02:09:40

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

WOW!!!!  I started something.

Three cheers for Gloating Dobbie Metalbeer!

Hip Hic .. Horray
Hip Hic .. Horray
Hip Hic .. Horray
... HIC

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#354 2020-09-13 02:18:59

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Sector11 wrote:
hhh wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

It's like normal gloating but with Metal and beer.

So, for me, like normal gloating but with Metal.

Not to be confused with Gloating Dobbie Metalbeer

No, to confuse the two would be fatal.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#355 2020-09-13 02:22:36

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

hhh wrote:

^ OK, if anyone is going into the independent beer brewery business, please make this the name of your first beer... "Gloating Dobbie Metalbeer". It should be a high-alcohol beer like an India Pale Ale, and I'd say 7% ABV or higher. Bonus points if it's brewed and bottled in New Zealand.

Personally I find anything over 6.5ish% a little shitty tasting.  I like a good tasting beer and I don't get these extreme high percentage beers.

Garage Project make some really f'd up beers.  Probably other than Cassels Milk Stout (which won yet another worldwide 2020 award for their Milk Stout) and Brave Tiger Milk I stick to just standard Lagers or Stouts.

I would quite like to sample this Gloating Dobbie Metal beer you speak of.

Also I apologise for taking this so far off topic.

NZ is still finding daily cases of Covid.  We have an evangelical church who have spread it and are refusing to tell the Government their last few weeks of whereabouts.  Also they don't believe in Science hence they aren't wearing masks.

**** them.  Shoot them in the head.

MOD EDIT Language

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#356 2020-09-13 03:10:48

phuturism

ohnonot wrote:
phuturism wrote:

Actual Australian here.

Thanks for taking us back on solid ground.

So, how do Jakarta and Bali come into it, if you don't mind me asking (feel free to ignore/be vague about it)?

No problem!   Been working in Jakarta for the last 2.5 years, don't get to Bali so much this year for obvious reasons.    I'm one of those Australians who fell in love with Asia in my 20s while backpacking around so love working here, particularly SE Asia.   Mind you the Covid19 thing and lockdown has given me a new perspective on family and home so i'm looking to head back to Australia some time soon.   Have to find another job back home first, which isn't so easy in the current climate.

L I N U X  -  M O T O R B I K E S  -  B O O K S  -  T R A V E L  -  A S I A

#357 2020-09-13 03:12:31

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

↑↑ Dobbie your post reminds me of Charlie the Tuna. ↑↑

Only good tasting beer gets to be Gloating Dobbie Metalbeer!

NOTE:  Metalbeer one word  big_smile

Charly the Tuna - Who!

All that nice fun stuff done BM¹

#358 2020-09-13 03:12:40

hhh
Meep!
Website

It's OT, you're fine.

The US is approaching 200,000 deaths, and the most likely predictions are that after this short downturn we will soon see a rapid increase resulting in 400,000 deaths by Jan. 1st. That's also a global prediction, a doubling of deaths by the New Year, about 2.5 to 3 million. These are the conservative figures. Nearly triple is the worst-case scenario in the US, nearly half a million dead in the US alone by New Years. Globally, according to Johns Hopkins Medical University, we're at 916,000 deaths worldwide. This graph is from the university of Washington in Seattle..

https://covid19.healthdata.org/global?v … &tab=trend

Hmm, which projected curve is humanity most likely to take? I'll bet Grey. Brazil is stupid, but I'll stick with the most likely prediction, only 2.5 million dead globally by January 1st to win, spin the wheel.

As for the US, we are a stupid country with a stupid government and an insane President, I'll double down on Red for this one. 500k dead by New Years...

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s … &tab=trend

#359 2020-09-13 09:18:54

twoion
ほやほや

Stupid people here in Germany already have caused infections to go from 200 new reported infections püer day to 2000 new reported infections per day since Mid-June (unchanged testing frequency, so the numbers are at least somewhat comparable). It's incredible how people in 1st world countries with all the entertainment and luxury they could possibly need for a few comfy months at home fail so hard at the most basic containment strategies (staying away from other people, wearing masks, disciplined hygiene to combat smear infections). Instead they go to 200+ people weddings, travel abroad and back, and go partying. Darwin Awards are being given away with summa cum laude predicate right now.

They can't realize the price that has been paid (economically, not even speaking of loss of life or health) already to get the numbers to 200. And they blow it all away. Most expensive holiday season to the tax payer ever.

Per aspera ad astra.

#360 2020-09-13 11:11:50

glittersloth
...village idiot

twoion wrote:

It's incredible how people ...............................................fail so hard at the most basic.......

Unrelated, but a couple of years ago I learned that 99% of my real world acquaintances don't even know how to read basic topo map. Even those that should be at the age where they could seem to have forgotten. Lat year I learned that a significant percentage (forgot the exact number) of primary/middle-school kids couldn't even read analog clocks....

On a side note, Seiko released a modern day remaster of their famous "Captain Willard" watch earlier this year. Think I'll need to get one, since I'm fairly certain I'll be living a real life Apocalypse Now pretty soon.

#361 2020-09-13 13:47:30

sleekmason

So very depressing, and dangerous.  Became extremely ill last of February through March. Was on the job ripping apart a brick stem wall.  Started that day as a sinus infection with the weirdest drainage ever, then went to double pneumonia.
Went to the VA here twice.  Did cat scan and said Bronchitis. wouldn't do a test Ffs.  I cycle a few thousand miles a year.  Couldn't convince them it wasn't normal.  I feel now that I almost died.
Fast forward to today.  We are watching our grandchildren as the daycare they were in is now in quarantine, and the cases here run upwards of 25% positive. What do they expect those without support to do?
Nobody here wears masks because of the abject utter failure of "those in charge".  If people are not dropping in the streets, they can't seem to realize the horror of what is taking place.
Their shame should show no bounds. Monsters who care more for the almighty dollar than the welfare of their people.  How did we fall so low?

#362 2020-09-14 06:30:58

cog
Developer
Website

sleekmason wrote:

So very depressing, and dangerous.  Became extremely ill last of February through March. Was on the job ripping apart a brick stem wall.  Started that day as a sinus infection with the weirdest drainage ever, then went to double pneumonia.
Went to the VA here twice.  Did cat scan and said Bronchitis. wouldn't do a test Ffs.  I cycle a few thousand miles a year.  Couldn't convince them it wasn't normal.  I feel now that I almost died.
Fast forward to today.  We are watching our grandchildren as the daycare they were in is now in quarantine, and the cases here run upwards of 25% positive. What do they expect those without support to do?
Nobody here wears masks because of the abject utter failure of "those in charge".  If people are not dropping in the streets, they can't seem to realize the horror of what is taking place.
Their shame should show no bounds. Monsters who care more for the almighty dollar than the welfare of their people.  How did we fall so low?

That’s the closest I’ve ever heard of what happened to me too at the end of Feb and beginning of March.  The only difference was I coughed until I fractured some ribs trying to expectorate, the wierd drainage.

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

#363 2020-09-14 08:01:23

phuturism

sleekmason wrote:

I know it's after the fact, but you could get a rapid antibody test - this would show if you have the ImG antibodies (long-term immune response) - a positive result confirm whether or not you had Covid19 as you suspected.   They aren't sure how long this immune response persists in the body so a negative result doesn't necessarily show that you didn't have Covid.

L I N U X  -  M O T O R B I K E S  -  B O O K S  -  T R A V E L  -  A S I A

#364 2020-09-14 15:30:54

pymd

With the greatest respect, this is a foolish rhetoric. One can't judge an entire race, simply based upon the location a virus originated.

#365 2020-09-14 16:49:26

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Agree 100%

pymd wrote:

With the greatest respect, this is a foolish rhetoric. One can't judge an entire race, simply based upon the location a virus originated.

italics = mine

#366 2020-09-14 18:22:07

sleekmason

pymd wrote:

So true!  Very tired of the folks here in the US saying such nonsense.

Looking through this thread though, I didn't see where this has occurred.  You didn't quote anything. Just a general statement?

#367 2020-09-14 18:41:50

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

sleekmason wrote:
pymd wrote:

Looking through this thread though, I didn't see where this has occurred.  You didn't quote anything. Just a general statement?

Actually pymd's post is a perfect response to the thread's OP.

#368 2020-09-14 20:00:48

sleekmason

Sector11 wrote:
sleekmason wrote:
pymd wrote:

Actually pymd's post is a perfect response to the thread's OP.

Lol, only went back a few pages:)  yeah, makes sense now.

#369 2020-09-15 01:09:41

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

I see said the light.   big_smile

#370 2020-09-15 07:15:12

ohnonot
...again
Website

@phuturism: thanks for answering!

twoion wrote:

Stupid people here in Germany already have caused infections to go from 200 new reported infections püer day to 2000 new reported infections per day since Mid-June (unchanged testing frequency, so the numbers are at least somewhat comparable). It's incredible how people in 1st world countries with all the entertainment and luxury they could possibly need for a few comfy months at home fail so hard at the most basic containment strategies (staying away from other people, wearing masks, disciplined hygiene to combat smear infections). Instead they go to 200+ people weddings, travel abroad and back, and go partying. Darwin Awards are being given away with summa cum laude predicate right now.

And those protests!
I couldn't believe the number of people when I heard it on the news - a few hundred, OK, but 20,000??? I was literally slack-jawed. At the stupidity.
The commentator said "they are protesting for their right to pandemic".

sleekmason wrote:

Went to the VA here twice.  Did cat scan and said Bronchitis.

You still didn't get a Covid test???

I hope you're doing better...

Here, it thankfully isn't a problem. Did my 2nd test already, they say "if you have the symptoms you have a right to do the test".

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#371 2020-09-15 11:47:44

sleekmason

ohnonot wrote:

You still didn't get a Covid test???

I hope you're doing better...

Here, it thankfully isn't a problem. Did my 2nd test already, they say "if you have the symptoms you have a right to do the test".

Thank you! Yes, doing much much better:) 

Back then, they would only give you a test if you met their criteria (must have fever, been in country of major outbreak, swapping spit with a known covidite, e etc . . .),
Now, aannybody can have a test. yay!  We are so infected here that it really seems pointless now. Our leadership was an utter failure from the beginning, not that that is any surprise:)

Open up! Open up! they said.  Teacher for the local high school lives next door.  Shes had cancer twice, and is coughing constantly from that, and goes to school everyday to sit in a classroom risking her life for nothing.  Says she eats in her closet, and has stuff around her desk for about 8'-9' to keep the kids away. Cant retire, and cant quit.

My wife and I feel extremely fortunate that we are able to help our children and grandchildren, and pretty much just stay worried about everybody we know.
Very sad times here to be sure, but there is hope!  and bicycles to ride, vegetables to tend, and hikes to be had:)

Glad you are safe there and are able to take care of business when needed. Maybe we will too in a couple of months. smile

Last edited by sleekmason (2020-09-15 18:47:54)

#372 2020-09-15 15:44:06

trilobite

Newly posting here.  In Saskatchewan, Canada, we are idiots.  Gov't doesn't want to mandate anything because we have an election coming and they are conservative.  The conservative vote is rural.  So we have "recommendations" to wear masks which foolish in cities.  It needs to be mandatory.  So schools have had to make up their own policies about everything.  And we have now schools with infections. And everyday, there's announcements of where infected people have been and "self monitor".

But it is a huge place - more than two times larger in area than the UK - with only 1.1 million people.  We're sparse in population because the climate is cold.  Just +5°C today.  We get 101 days per year of frost free. 

Re beer.  Drinking oatmeal stout these days.  It's like burning your breakfast porridge and fermenting that.  If this virus keeps going, I will start having it for breakfast.

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#373 2020-09-15 18:03:50

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

We have to pay for the tests here in Argentina.

#374 2020-09-16 17:40:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ I was thinking about that. We are lucky there. Although, I'm not 100% sure that I won't get a bill evtl...

sleekmason wrote:

Glad you are safe there and are able to take care of business when needed.

I should've added that both tests were negative. Yes, I'm OK, just a normal seasonal flu.

trilobite wrote:

In Saskatchewan, (...) we have "recommendations" to wear masks which foolish in cities.

Same here (Helsinki).
For the people of this country, safety is everything. How many times have I heard "we live in the safest country" etc.
I don't understand this. Maybe they think, because they live in the safest country already, there's no need to wear masks?

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Board footer