You are not logged in.

#276 2020-05-05 09:17:28

damo
....moderator....

Re: covid-19 virus

johnraff wrote:

^How long ago did the UK stop BCG jabs for TB? I remember getting one (or two?) as a kid, and some people have suggested that past use in Japan might be one reason for the apparent low infection rate. But the UK has been hit pretty badly.

The general population vaccination policy stopped in 2005. Now it is given to at-risk groups, instead of every child, since herd immunity was established.

Covid-19: what has the BCG vaccine got to do with it?

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#277 2020-05-06 01:57:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^2005 wasn't that long ago and in view of the 30,000 C9 deaths in the UK (now higher than Italy) that seems to write off BCG as a protection factor.

Confirmed in that video.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#278 2020-05-13 02:57:39

misko_2083

This covid-19 scaring brought us an Orwellian law that requires everyone to receive a big number of untested vaccines for all sorts of decise. We won't be able to register vehicles or apply for IDs and passports without vaccination. We won't be able to sing up kids to schools and the school will have to inform social services that our kids have not received all the vaccines. Then the courts will fine us once and order us to take vaccines. If we don't the second fine will be much bigger. Social services can declare us as unsuitable parents, take away our children, give them vaccines and send them to foster parents.
We won't be able to apply for jobs without vaccination. There will be vaccination passports for "only" 190€.

Што ни оштровиди ум сагледати не може - љубав превазилази.

#279 2020-05-13 03:20:49

misko_2083

glittersloth wrote:

* Note: The opinions expressed in this post are those of the original author. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of the poster, even if the poster is the original author.

To summarise, original author has informed us he may have consumed too many beers even if the poster is claiming otherwise. :,-)

Што ни оштровиди ум сагледати не може - љубав превазилази.

#280 2020-05-13 04:09:37

damo
....moderator....

^ I would say it was Cabin Fever atm. But he is always like that wink

#281 2020-05-17 12:16:18

mariannemarlow
Website

Hi Johnraff

Yes it's awful, but better than getting the dreaded lurgy I guess.

Going stir crazy not being able to just nip to starbucks and sit with a latte.

I hope it wont be a year before I can go out!!

johnraff wrote:

Hi Marianne - that sounds like a pretty dire situation to be in. Please look after yourself!
We're all waiting for COVID treatment drugs and vaccines to be developed, but while all kinds of labs are reporting new drugs coming up, it could easily be another year before there's a vaccine.

#282 2020-05-18 05:57:50

ohnonot
...again
Website

What's the everyday situation like everywhere?
Here, I guess the country is still under lockdown, schools were closed etc., but nobody was ever forbidden from leaving their homes.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#283 2020-05-18 13:56:32

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

They are opening up here.  And it's way to early.
Number of deaths and new cases climbing.

BUT people have to eat and pay bills.

Still maintaining "our" strict social distancing and only going out where necessary rule.
c/w indoor/outdoor clothing

Let others do what they want.
We three plan on maintaining this strictness as long as necessary.

IE: A vaccine comes out and/or a nation wide green light with no cases.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#284 2020-05-18 14:57:16

damo
....moderator....

^ Be glad you don't live in Brazil. It looks like some SA countries went in early and hard and are now in much better shape.

#285 2020-05-18 15:54:13

glittersloth
...straight talkin'

^ Emphasis on some. Indonesia is the ticking time bomb in these parts. We won't know how bad until the borders open up again.

#286 2020-05-18 18:07:54

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Brasil is a disaster.  Rioting, asking for the presidents removal.

Chile not far behind and Argentine that started off with a nice tight, early lock down is opening up, as the numbers rise.  It does not make sense to me at all.

I fear REBOUND is just around the corner.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#287 2020-05-19 00:08:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

I'm back to work, but only 3 days a week with shortened hours, and only takeout orders (restaurant). Charleston is a likely candidate for being the next East Coast hotspot (we're bordered by N. Carolina and Georgia, look at their stats), fortunately Food & Bev leaders like my boss are talking constantly with our Mayor and are being cautious with reopening.

#288 2020-05-19 20:33:18

ohnonot
...again
Website

I was working the whole time, albeit only part time until the schools re-opened (just last week).
Our government is taking what they call a "hybrid approach" - not too strict, but always trying to avoid new infections. Good, IMO. They have been reasonable and well informed and not pointing the blame finger at any time. I like our government.

---

#289 2020-05-19 20:59:45

eight.bit.al

^ https://www.cfr.org/blog/women-week-fin … government

Nice. Women should run the world, can't be any worse than the men have done. IMHO, the world would be a better place for it.

8bit

“What is originality? Undetected plagiarism.” -William Ralph Inge

#290 2020-05-19 22:22:14

hhh
Meep!
Website

What? *spits tobacco* Women ain't got no more sense than a horse in a heavy wind. They'll run you into a fence without even looking, they get so spooked.

monkey

#291 2020-05-19 22:30:06

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Now, that is a gross stereotype. Does it hold water? Maybe, stereotypes are created out of a combination of fact and fiction.

Off Topic, what a great forum.

#292 2020-05-20 08:15:13

glittersloth
...straight talkin'

eight.bit.al wrote:

^ https://www.cfr.org/blog/women-week-fin … government

Nice. Women should run the world, can't be any worse than the men have done. IMHO, the world would be a better place for it.

8bit

Well, looking how well the countries run by female leaders often accused of being risk averse like Jacinda Ardern, Nicola Sturgeon and Angela Merkel are handling the pandemic relative to "strongmen" run countries like the US and Brazil, you have a sound point.

#293 2020-05-20 08:37:55

mariannemarlow
Website

I don't think women are any better than men at running things. People are just people, you get good ones and bad ones.

#294 2020-05-20 10:36:06

eight.bit.al

^ Women are generally better at socialization, communication, and cooperation.

How Men And Women Differ: Gender Differences in Communication Styles, Influence Tactics, and Leadership Styles
https://scholarship.claremont.edu/cgi/v … cmc_theses

On  average,  women  use  conversations  to  enhance social  connections  and  create  intimate  relationships  and  men  use  language  to  exert dominance,  maintain  status,  and  achieve  tangible  outcomes  (Leaper,  1991;  Maltz  & Borker, 1982; Wood, 1996; Mason, 1994; Gray, 1992; Tannen, 1990). While women are overall  more  expressive,  tentative,  and  polite  in  conversations,  men  are  more  assertive and  power  hungry  (Basow  &  Rubenfield,  2003).  Gender  differences  have  also  been identified in influence tactics: men tend to use influence tactics such as personal appeal, consultation,  assertiveness,  and  inspirational  appeal,  while  women  use  tactics  such  as consultation, inspirational appeal, and ingratiation more with other female and exchange tactics with males (Carli, 1999; Carothers  & Allen, 1999; Dubrin, 1991; Lamude, 1993; White, 1998). 

and

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolelipk … 362d866417
Yet studies show that once women land leadership positions they excel - often surpassing men - because they have developed soft skills necessary for effective leadership. Traits like empathy, communication, and listening are qualities that serve women well when in management positions.
This bodes well for the future of women leaders as study after study proves women have a natural bend toward collaboration.

and

The Psychology of Women at Work: Challenges and Solutions for Our Female Workforce (Women's Psychology)
by Michele A. Paludi
...women leaders, compared to male leaders, tend to show more positive effect warmth (Hall and Friedman, 1999). They are more likely to emphasize communication, cooperation and subordinate involvement (Cowan, Wilcox,& Nykodym, 1990; Fox & Schuhmann, 1999).

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-05-20 11:06:12)

#295 2020-05-20 15:00:39

damo
....moderator....

^ And any leader, female or male, would have to be pretty awful to be worse than many of the current world "leaders" hmm

#296 2020-05-20 15:32:24

twoion
ほやほや

eight.bit.al wrote:

^ Women are generally better at socialization, communication, and cooperation.

How Men And Women Differ: Gender Differences in Communication Styles, Influence Tactics, and Leadership Styles
https://scholarship.claremont.edu/cgi/v … cmc_theses

On  average,  women  use  conversations  to  enhance social  connections  and  create  intimate  relationships  and  men  use  language  to  exert dominance,  maintain  status,  and  achieve  tangible  outcomes  (Leaper,  1991;  Maltz  & Borker, 1982; Wood, 1996; Mason, 1994; Gray, 1992; Tannen, 1990). While women are overall  more  expressive,  tentative,  and  polite  in  conversations,  men  are  more  assertive and  power  hungry  (Basow  &  Rubenfield,  2003).  Gender  differences  have  also  been identified in influence tactics: men tend to use influence tactics such as personal appeal, consultation,  assertiveness,  and  inspirational  appeal,  while  women  use  tactics  such  as consultation, inspirational appeal, and ingratiation more with other female and exchange tactics with males (Carli, 1999; Carothers  & Allen, 1999; Dubrin, 1991; Lamude, 1993; White, 1998). 

and

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolelipk … 362d866417
Yet studies show that once women land leadership positions they excel - often surpassing men - because they have developed soft skills necessary for effective leadership. Traits like empathy, communication, and listening are qualities that serve women well when in management positions.
This bodes well for the future of women leaders as study after study proves women have a natural bend toward collaboration.

and

The Psychology of Women at Work: Challenges and Solutions for Our Female Workforce (Women's Psychology)
by Michele A. Paludi
...women leaders, compared to male leaders, tend to show more positive effect warmth (Hall and Friedman, 1999). They are more likely to emphasize communication, cooperation and subordinate involvement (Cowan, Wilcox,& Nykodym, 1990; Fox & Schuhmann, 1999).

8bit

In my experience (subjective rant), the distribution of women as in "suited to assume major economic, political or cooperative leadership tasks and grow the project to achieve a specific outcome" is such that very few outliers of women are actually able and willing to perform such a role while the vast majority is unsuited. Men generally strive for such a role which is why they are way more prevalent in such roles, and more competent as a population to do so.

My conjecture is that such women are relatively rare when compared to men.

This actually is a huge social issue. Germany for example is educating on average more female medical doctors than male ones, but female doctors handle on average close to half or less work than the average male doctor because of child rearing, unwillingness to work long hours or unwillingness to actually assume positions where there is constant pressure to perform at one's limit. They also seek out more comfortable positions such as a practice in the city while men are more willing to fill the need of e.g. rural doctors, incur the discomfort of longer commutes, business risk by opening their own practices or more stressful work patterns in general. As such, while women may be as qualified as men, that doesn't mean that they actually are able to perform. There are two kinds of "can" after all. ON a strictly socio-economic scale, shouldn't this mean to prefer to educate more male doctors because female ones just aren't worth it as doctors as much?

A lot of women in prominent leadership positions, especially in politics, are sadly also joke puppets that got there due to (party) women quotas and other bullshit bias. For example, SAP recently hired some cute but incompetent woman as a member of their board just to let her go recently when the economic downturn happened. Made a nice virtual signal in the meantime though.

That being said, I know a bunch of highly able and successful women and of course I have full respect for those and anybody really looking to pull their weight, but as explained I think such women are outliers. Every woman needs to prove her worth just lThat being said, I know a bunch of highly able and successful women and of course I have full respect for those and anybody really looking to pull their weight, but as explained I think such women are outliers. Every woman needs to prove her worth just like men. I don't give them any advance credit, none at all. Which is why I call bullshit on any statement along the lines of "we prefer to hire women because…", women quotas and other such crap.ike men. I don't give them any advance credit, none at all. Which is why I call bullshit on any statement along the lines of "we prefer to hire women because…", women quotas and other such crap.

Per aspera ad astra.

#297 2020-05-20 16:45:17

eight.bit.al

Good discussion everyone.

twoion wrote:

Men generally strive for such a role which is why they are way more prevalent in such roles, and more competent as a population to do so.

I don't think competency is a matter of volume, or quantity. More competent individuals does not mean individuals of more competency. There will always be enough women of sufficient competence who are inclined to do the job.

My conjecture is that such women are relatively rare when compared to men.

Yes. How much of that is the result of gender stereotypes in how children are raised, as opposed to raw ability and inclination; nurture vs nature?

ON a strictly socio-economic scale, shouldn't this mean to prefer to educate more male doctors because female ones just aren't worth it as doctors as much?

Oh, of course not. I would tend to shy away from judging evaluating this on lifetime output. Everyone should be allowed to output what their calling leads them to produce. (within reason, someone who produces nothing is not what we're talking about here)

A lot of women in prominent leadership positions, especially in politics, are sadly also joke puppets that got there due to (party) women quotas and other bullshit bias.

Yes, With extremely rare exceptions, quotas are a distortion of reality.

8bit

Edit: fix some grammer...

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-05-20 20:39:32)

#298 2020-05-20 17:09:10

eight.bit.al

damo wrote:

^ And any leader, female or male, would have to be pretty awful to be worse than many of the current world "leaders" hmm

So true. Nations with the highest infection/death rate:

United States   1,543,705      92,790
Russia	          308,705       2,972
Brazil	          271,885      17,983
U K          	  248,818      35,341

8bit

#299 2020-05-21 01:04:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

There are always exceptions.
Angela Merkel, who is a shining example.
Margaret Thatcher, who was a disaster.
(Both IMHO of course.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#300 2020-05-21 07:07:52

ohnonot
...again
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

Women are generally better at socialization, communication, and cooperation.

I see this every day in the kindergarten I work.
Meaning the kids.
Girls are usually better to work with for above reasons. Not generally, but usually.
I personally don't believe in genetics being the main reason for this, but I cannot completely discount it either. One thing I can say for sure: it's the parents' fault/merit (and I leave it to you to bring genetics into that or not), at least 50%, but kids also have their own unique characters.

And society in general, don't underestimate that. While most families might be fairly equal nowadays, the toy, gaming and childrens' entertainment industry is not. Quite the opposite - why create unisex toys when they can make double profit by pushing gender stereotypes. It disgusts me.
Also many families don't take gender equality far enough and the fathers are still largely absent, creating harmful imbalance for the kids.

I'm glad about each and every outlier. Bossy girls, cooperative boys, whatever.
And we encourage girls to take the stand, and boys to be more cooperative. (I'm simplifying here, of course it's much more complex than that)

---

Board footer