You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-14 19:45:28

THX1138

Tracking and all that malarkey

I'm not a programmer. I cant just get a 1000 lines of code and work out what is really
happening in it. I can kind of work it out if I put my mind to it,
but I have a question for you people who are programmers
do you actually ever read the source code of a project, such as google chrome or firefox to see what they are doing. Do you ever get peed off by what you see, in a political sense, not a technical sense?
I mean with all the tracking and invasion of privacy that people tell us is going on, do you take a look for yourself and ever see objectionable stuff or are companies playing with a straighter bat than people imagine? I mean I always imagine the worst like google is really the NSA or GCHQ and theyre out to find out what colour underpants you are wearing on a particular day,  ya know

Last edited by THX1138 (2020-02-14 19:45:54)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#2 2020-02-15 03:29:02

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Tracking and all that malarkey

There are programmers here? Where? (turns 360 degrees) I always thought twoion was the only one.

THX1138 wrote:

do you actually ever read the source code of a project, such as google chrome or firefox to see what they are doing.

Well first ofall Chrome is closed source.
And FireFox? What a behemoth. No, I didn't.

Here's the thing about FOSS: it's open for everyone to look at. And many likeminded people, some of whom really are programmers. They tend to find these things and spread the word.
Because only one person finds the problematic piece of code, word goes around and everyone cango see and check. The latter I might have done once or twice.
But esentially I have just learned to trust the process.

Disadvantage: depends on (online) communication, which isn't always ideal.

Tracking is a little easier to find out because it depends on network connections.
So it's enough to monitor those, no need to read the code.

#3 2020-02-15 09:18:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Tracking and all that malarkey

ohnonot wrote:

There are programmers here? Where? (turns 360 degrees) I always thought twoion was the only one.

To the Quote Cave, Robin! There's no time to lose!

Board footer