You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-29 00:21:28

Kimwatson

I want to create a modern looking GUI application but I'm not sure.

Hello all,

I've been looking into creating a GUI for a while now. I've been learning python the last month and a half and from what I've seen, I can't seem to create what I want in this language.

I know that many people will tell me that I should be looking into functionality over prettiness, but I have a certain vision for this application and would really like to create it the way I imagine it. When it comes to python, it doesn't look like the applications I can make look very "modern". They look very bland and basic.

It looks beautiful and sleek but I don't know what this type of development is called or how I can start doing it myself. I'm very overwhelmed looking at this video and am looking for a sense of direction. Thank you for all your help!

#2 2019-10-29 00:38:05

damo
....moderator....

Re: I want to create a modern looking GUI application but I'm not sure.

What kind of gui?

Are you trying to use eg GTK or QT? Appearance is very dependant on the theme your window manager is using.

I'm very overwhelmed looking at this video and am looking for a sense of direction.

Which video?

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-10-29 07:07:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

Kimwatson wrote:

I know that many people will tell me that I should be looking into functionality over prettiness, but I have a certain vision for this application and would really like to create it the way I imagine it.

Well, I'm telling you the same.
It's obvious that functionality comes first.
FWIW, I think you want to code python with GTK.
Do you know how many applications already installed on your system are exactly that?

#4 2019-10-29 13:11:34

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

No experience there, but kivy does look good
https://kivy.org/#gallery

#5 2019-10-29 13:36:12

clusterF

Sounds like you want to put together a jigsaw puzzle without knowing what the puzzle picture is. Learn the functionality first, having functional programs work well with few bugs is something you should strive for first. Are you aiming for cross platform or keeping it in the linux area? If linux, GTK and QT as have been mentioned are the two giants of the GUI space within linux.

"Thou Wanderer, Father of all! Thou Wanderer, Spirit of all!"

Board footer