You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-22 13:19:04

extraspecialbitter
Website

What is the best way to install python 3.6 on Helium?

I've been happily using Helium for over a year, but recently encountered a limitation. By default, the distribution ships with Python 2.7. One can also download the package "python3", which is Python 3.5.3, but I'm faced with a Docker installation that requires python 3.6 or higher.

I know that I can grab python 3.7.3 from a Debian "buster" repository, but won't that result in dependency issues or other side effects? I'm wondering if there's a sanctioned way to install python 3.6 (plus the appropriate pip, etc.) without breaking Helium.

I suppose an alternative would be to try out Buster, although I'd rather wait on a "Busterized Bunsen", whenever that might be available.

Thank you as always for keeping this distribution alive.

- Paul

#2 2019-07-22 13:33:45

clusterF

Re: What is the best way to install python 3.6 on Helium?

Pip install would be nice but i dont know if that is viable.

I think it would break your installation if you grabbed/added python3.6/7 from buster repos if you are on stretch. Your best bet is to maybe wait it out until BL is ready to full upgrade or build the latest python3 from source.

https://www.python.org/downloads/source/

Last edited by clusterF (2019-07-22 13:36:30)

"Common sense is like deodorant, those who need it the most never use it."

git: clusterF

#3 2019-07-22 15:33:41

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

There is no sanctioned way.

The "system" way:

Compile the latest Python 3.6.x distribution from scratch with a prefix like --prefix=/opt/python3.6.9 during the configure step and calling the interpreter from that location if needed. The "python3" link can (?) be managed using update-alternatives to point to that location, or use xstow.

The "developer" way:

Use pyenv (https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv) to create any number of virtualenvs using the python version you like. It'll compile any selected and supported python version that is not locally available from scratch and will manage symlinking, environment variables and so on for you. Integrates well with other python tooling like tox.

The "atomic" way:

Install docker and pull any desired python version into your local docker demon, as an "official" image (https://hub.docker.com/_/python). Flavors for Debian, Ubuntu etc are available. Execute any Python3.6 application in the context of a Python3.6 container. Drawback is, if you have state as input or output to your python3.6 program, you need to manage bind mounts and such. Another con is that using docker containers with X applications is difficult.

The "systemd" way:

Bootstrap a Debian buster container for systemd-nspawn, which is a SURPRISIGNLY complete container runtime. Run your python3.6 stuff via systemd-nspawn. This has good ways of running GUI applications also.

For ease of use, I'd recommend pyenv. BTW, I'm not sure how exactly python3.6 relates to installing Docker but you probably know what you need smile

#4 2019-07-22 19:35:59

extraspecialbitter
Website

@earlybird - that's a fairly accurate summary of the options. I'm not a developer, nor do I want this exercise to be complicated. What I might do instead is take advantage of a spare partition I have and install Buster.

#5 2019-07-23 01:24:40

kozimodo

Another alternative is to use the Anaconda Python distribution.  This approach has similarities to the "developer" way but Python and many packages are precompiled.

#6 2019-07-23 14:51:25

extraspecialbitter
Website

Here's an update: instead of trying to install python 3.6 on Helium, I built out Buster on a separate partition so that I could get my work done. After that, I thought "what this really needs is openbox, tint2 and some Bunsen themes."

#7 2019-07-23 21:52:23

hhh
Meep!
Website

lithium theme proposals, BL-Cthulhu (dark) works pretty flawlessly, it's what the default lithium theme will most likely be, some tweaks aside...

https://github.com/hhhorb/lithium-theme-proposals

https://github.com/hhhorb/lithium-theme … BL-Cthulhu

Matching default wallpaper proposal (logo only, the default will have the full icon-and-text-logo)...

BL-Moonlight5-logo-only.png

#8 2019-07-23 22:03:52

extraspecialbitter
Website

Call me a little bit slow, but it just dawned on me that Lithium is the third element in the periodic table, following Helium. And given that BL Helium is based on Debian Squeeze, it follows that BL Lithium would be based on Debian Buster. Eureka! I plan to give it a test drive in the very near future.

#9 2019-07-23 22:11:17

hhh
Meep!
Website

Our first release, based on jessie, was named Hydrogen.

We're simple men...

#10 2019-07-23 22:22:28

extraspecialbitter
Website

hhh wrote:

Our first release, based on jessie, was named Hydrogen.

We're simple men...

I still have Hydrogen installed on a dusty partition.

pablo@riverview=> cat /mnt/sda7/etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID="BunsenLabs"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="BunsenLabs GNU/Linux 8.2 (Hydrogen)"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="8.2"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="Hydrogen"

Make that 2 partitions:

pablo@riverview=> cat /mnt/sda8/etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID="BunsenLabs"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="BunsenLabs GNU/Linux 8.9 (Hydrogen)"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="8.9"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="bunsen-hydrogen"

Last edited by extraspecialbitter (2019-07-23 22:24:07)

#11 2019-07-27 02:11:54

extraspecialbitter
Website

Being the impatient type, I followed the instructions found here and came up with a perfectly usable Lithium desktop.

pablo@murcielago=> cat /etc/lsb-release.bunsen
DISTRIB_ID="BunsenLabs"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="BunsenLabs GNU/Linux 10.0 (Lithium)"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="10.0"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="lithium"

Thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement!

Board footer