You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-18 14:35:51

dbickin
Member
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 53

[Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

I've finally broken down and am upgrading to helium.
I have the new system set up, but I need to change the screen resolution and the text font sizes on the tty.

I KNOW I have asked this when I moved from crunchbang to bunsen, but I can not find it in the bunsen forums. NO doubt my search skills have failed me utterly.

I sort of recall that for screen resolution I had to add a call to xrandr, but I have looked all over my old setup and can't find the script where I needed to put it.

For the font bit, I seem to recall I had to run debconf_font or debconf_text or something like that, but I don't see anything named like that in my system.

So my memory is shot and my search skills suck, so I need to beg for help.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dbickin (2019-04-20 12:24:10)

Offline

#2 2019-04-19 05:32:00

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

you only ever made 1 post on BL forums that contains the word font, and that's the above.
since changing the tty font is done differently on my main desktop, i cannot help with that.

screen resolution:
fire up arandr and choose & apply the desired resolution.
then save the script to ~/wherever/you/want.sh.
then add this line to autostart:

~/wherever/you/want.sh

Offline

#3 2019-04-19 13:48:28

dbickin
Member
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 53

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

Yeah, probably I had asked on the old Crunchbang forum.

autostart.... I thought for sure I looked there! But there was my call to xrandr. So hopefully the next time I reboot, the screen resolution will be okay.

David

Offline

#4 2019-04-20 05:50:36

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

ohnonot wrote:

since changing the tty font is done differently on my main desktop, i cannot help with that.

i just remembered; i'm pretty sure it's

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

!!!

Offline

#5 2019-04-20 12:23:49

dbickin
Member
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 53

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

Thanks!

Offline

#6 2019-04-21 07:56:56

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

did you manage to make screen resolution stick across reboots?
did you manage to increase tty font size?

how?

please share your solution, others will benefit.

Offline

#7 2019-04-22 00:52:33

dbickin
Member
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 53

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

resolution changes did stick.

I added the following to autostart:

xrandr -s 1024x768 &

for ttys,

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

then select Terminus and 12x24
I might play with a smaller font, but this does work.

Next I need to play with the fonts in conky as most of the time that is unreadable. But then again some of my customizations to conky just plain don't work, which I gather is that conky itself changed. I notice the conkyrc format is different now. Just one of the reason I don't upgrade till I have to do so kicking and screaming.

Luckily, the good users on the crunchbang and now bunsenlab forums are so patient and helpful! Thank you all.

David

Offline

#8 2019-04-22 05:11:19

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

thank you for sharing your solution.

i do wonder why you need to change the screen resolution every login; Xorg should be handling this automatically.

Offline

#9 2019-04-22 13:33:03

dbickin
Member
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 53

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

I don't know. I think in years long gone by, I used to set the resolution in one of X's config files, but I think by the time I moved to Crunchbang, I had to run xrandr each time.

I fixed my conky text issue: I missed that I had changed the default_color to something more readable.

Still need to figure out why downspeed and downspeedgraph aren't working. Perhaps eth0 is no longer the correct name, but that is the topic for another post, if my googling fails yet again.

David

Offline

#10 2019-04-25 04:35:07

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

dbickin wrote:

I don't know. I think in years long gone by, I used to set the resolution in one of X's config files, but I think by the time I moved to Crunchbang, I had to run xrandr each time.

manual intervention shouldn't be necessary at all.
if you want to pursue this, show us:

xrandr
lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|display|3d'

---

Still need to figure out why downspeed and downspeedgraph aren't working. Perhaps eth0 is no longer the correct name

that seems likely.
you can see for yourself with

ip link

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-04-25 04:35:34)

Offline

#11 2019-04-25 13:35:40

dbickin
Member
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 53

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

manual intervention shouldn't be necessary at all.
if you want to pursue this, show us:

xrandr
lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|display|3d'
 
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA-1 connected primary 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 370mm x 270mm
   1600x1200     60.00  
   1280x1024     75.02  
   1024x768      85.00*   75.03    60.00  
   800x600       85.06    60.32  
   640x480      100.05    85.01    59.94  
   720x400       70.08  
DVI-D-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Gateway, Inc. 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Gateway, Inc. 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller
00:03.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 82P965/G965 HECI Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Gateway, Inc. 82P965/G965 HECI Controller
	Kernel driver in use: mei_me
	Kernel modules: mei_me

The trouble is unless I run xrandr each time I boot up, it comes up as 1600x1200 and that makes everything way way too small to see.

My current setup is still not quite right. For instance, every time I start geany I have to hit ctrl+ a half dozen times for the font to be big enough to read. I never had to do that before.

that seems likely.
you can see for yourself with

ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp0s25: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:16:76:ae:78:90 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Okay, enp0s25 works. Thanks.

David

Offline

#12 2019-04-25 15:09:16

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 4,878

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

dbickin wrote:

The trouble is unless I run xrandr each time I boot up, it comes up as 1600x1200 and that makes everything way way too small to see.

Have you been saving the setup with arandr, and adding it to your autostart?


Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#13 2019-04-25 20:44:39

dbickin
Member
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 53

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

damo wrote:
dbickin wrote:

The trouble is unless I run xrandr each time I boot up, it comes up as 1600x1200 and that makes everything way way too small to see.

Have you been saving the setup with arandr, and adding it to your autostart?

That is what I have done. I read ohnonot's post to mean that he thinks autostart is NOT needed.

David

Offline

#14 2019-04-25 21:15:26

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 4,878

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

^ There are many ways to skin the linux cat, but a common method is to put your xrandr command in autostart, either directly, or called by the script produced by arandr. Use it before loading any desktop applications, like nitrogen, conky etc.


Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#15 2019-04-27 06:31:44

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

dbickin wrote:

The trouble is unless I run xrandr each time I boot up, it comes up as 1600x1200 and that makes everything way way too small to see.

ok, but 1600x1200 is your monitor's native & best resolution; setting it to something less means you are sacrificing visual quality - things get blurry.

if you really, really want it that way, then yes, you have to add the appropriate line to autostart.

but shouldn't you be adjusting font sizes instead?
there's (mainly) two places to do that in BL:
Right-click the empty desktop => Preferences, then:

  • => Openbox => WM Preferences. That's obconf btw. Choose the Appearance Tab

  • => Appearance. That's lxappearance btw. Choose Default Font & Size.

Offline

#16 2019-04-27 07:51:26

hhh
That's it!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 7,465
Website

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

ohnonot wrote:
  • => Openbox => WM Preferences. That's obconf btw. Choose the Appearance Tab

  • => Appearance. That's lxappearance btw. Choose Default Font & Size.

And that Openbox setting is, what, six font settings? Active titlebar, inactive titlebar, menu, OSD. Awful, just set a damn font. lxappearance, you're cool.

/rant

Offline

#17 2019-04-30 21:34:19

between 2 and 25
New Member
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 3

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

Here is my "postinstall" script which does what I think you wanted and some more. Please read through it before blindly "copy-paste-execute"

Because this forum code formatting function is not working as expected I mark it:

### START OF CODE ###
#!/bin/sh

# USERNAME FOR DISPLAY MANAGER AUTOLOGIN
USERNAME=<insert your username here>

FILENAME="/etc/grub.d/00_header"
  sed -i '/if \[ "x\${GRUB_GFXMODE}" = "x" \] \; then GRUB_GFXMODE=auto \; fi/s/if \[ "x\${GRUB_GFXMODE}" = "x" \] \; then GRUB_GFXMODE=auto \; fi/if \[ "x\${GRUB_GFXMODE}" = "x" \] \; then GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 \; fi\nif \[ "x\${GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD}" = "x" \] \; then GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=1024x768 \; fi/' ${FILENAME}
  if ! grep -q "set gfxpayload" ${FILENAME}; then sed -i '/set gfxmode=\${GRUB_GFXMODE}/s/set gfxmode=\${GRUB_GFXMODE}/set gfxmode=\${GRUB_GFXMODE}\n  set gfxpayload=\${GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD}/' ${FILENAME} ; fi

FILENAME="/etc/default/grub"
  sed -i 's/GRUB_TIMEOUT=[[:digit:]]*/GRUB_TIMEOUT=2/' ${FILENAME}
  #Change I/O scheduler to Deadline, which is good for both platter disks and SSD's:
  # ...and add 'video=1024x768' to change terminal/console resolution
  sed -i 's/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="elevator=deadline quiet video=1024x768"/' ${FILENAME}

FILENAME="/etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme"
  sed -i 's/menu_color_normal=cyan\/blue/menu_color_normal=light-gray\/black/' ${FILENAME}
  sed -i 's/menu_color_highlight=white\/blue/menu_color_highlight=white\/dark-gray/' ${FILENAME}

# TTY FONT SIZE
FILENAME="/etc/default/console-setup"
  sed -i 's/FONTFACE="Fixed"/FONTFACE="TerminusBold"/' ${FILENAME}
  sed -i 's/FONTSIZE="8x16"/FONTSIZE="10x20"\nSCREEN_WIDTH="100"/' ${FILENAME}

# AUTOLOGIN & DPI - LIGHTDM
FILENAME="/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf"
  if grep -q "^#autologin-user=$" ${FILENAME}; then sed -i "s/^#autologin-user=$/autologin-user=${USERNAME}/" ${FILENAME} ; fi
  if grep -q "^#xserver-command=X$" ${FILENAME}; then sed -i "s/^#xserver-command=X$/xserver-command=X -dpi 120/" ${FILENAME} ; fi

update-grub
setupcon
### END OF CODE ###

Offline

#18 2019-04-30 21:46:20

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 4,878

Re: [Solved] screen resolution and font sizes

between 2 and 25 wrote:

Here is my "postinstall" script which does what I think you wanted and some more. Please read through it before blindly "copy-paste-execute"

Because this forum code formatting function is not working as expected I mark it:

### START OF CODE ###

#!/bin/sh

# USERNAME FOR DISPLAY MANAGER AUTOLOGIN
USERNAME=<insert your username here>

FILENAME="/etc/grub.d/00_header"
  sed -i '/if \[ "x\${GRUB_GFXMODE}" = "x" \] \; then GRUB_GFXMODE=auto \; fi/s/if \[ "x\${GRUB_GFXMODE}" = "x" \] \; then GRUB_GFXMODE=auto \; fi/if \[ "x\${GRUB_GFXMODE}" = "x" \] \; then GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 \; fi\nif \[ "x\${GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD}" = "x" \] \; then GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=1024x768 \; fi/' ${FILENAME}
  if ! grep -q "set gfxpayload" ${FILENAME}; then sed -i '/set gfxmode=\${GRUB_GFXMODE}/s/set gfxmode=\${GRUB_GFXMODE}/set gfxmode=\${GRUB_GFXMODE}\n  set gfxpayload=\${GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD}/' ${FILENAME} ; fi

FILENAME="/etc/default/grub"
  sed -i 's/GRUB_TIMEOUT=[[:digit:]]*/GRUB_TIMEOUT=2/' ${FILENAME}
  #Change I/O scheduler to Deadline, which is good for both platter disks and SSD's:
  # ...and add 'video=1024x768' to change terminal/console resolution
  sed -i 's/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="elevator=deadline quiet video=1024x768"/' ${FILENAME}

FILENAME="/etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme"
  sed -i 's/menu_color_normal=cyan\/blue/menu_color_normal=light-gray\/black/' ${FILENAME}
  sed -i 's/menu_color_highlight=white\/blue/menu_color_highlight=white\/dark-gray/' ${FILENAME}

# TTY FONT SIZE
FILENAME="/etc/default/console-setup"
  sed -i 's/FONTFACE="Fixed"/FONTFACE="TerminusBold"/' ${FILENAME}
  sed -i 's/FONTSIZE="8x16"/FONTSIZE="10x20"\nSCREEN_WIDTH="100"/' ${FILENAME}

# AUTOLOGIN & DPI - LIGHTDM
FILENAME="/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf"
  if grep -q "^#autologin-user=$" ${FILENAME}; then sed -i "s/^#autologin-user=$/autologin-user=${USERNAME}/" ${FILENAME} ; fi
  if grep -q "^#xserver-command=X$" ${FILENAME}; then sed -i "s/^#xserver-command=X$/xserver-command=X -dpi 120/" ${FILENAME} ; fi

update-grub
setupcon

### END OF CODE ###

Code tags seem to work fine for me wink Click on "Quote" for this post to see how to use [ code ] tags


Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB