You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-04 18:18:57

linux_user

New Bunsenlabs website

I think that our BL website doesn't do justice to the looks and feel of the distro itself. Not much of a creative guy wink, but If I redesign it, would you guys consider it?

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#2 2019-04-04 18:36:14

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: New Bunsenlabs website

really interested to hear what twoion/earlybird has to say about this.
devil
fwiw, i think the site is just right and aesthetically pleasing.

#3 2019-04-04 19:01:22

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

ohnonot wrote:

fwiw, i think the site is just right and aesthetically pleasing.

I totally agree.  I often just stop by to admire it big_smile

Saying that, I would be interested to see what linux_user comes up with.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#4 2019-04-04 19:56:18

twoion
ほやほや

Hmmmm big_smile What I really like is the warmdarkgrey-orange theme with the flame (you can get the colors from the CSS) smile Well, it was my idea (IIRC, might have been damo or ututo [who did the original logo designs] or somebody else).

I agree that the page could need improvement. While I don't see that immediate need with the content pages (except improving the actual content, but that's not the point here), the landing page could use a revamp. There are better ways to provide a clean, hasslefree, informative entrypoint to visitors. In fact, there is a draft I began for a more modern landing page here https://github.com/BunsenLabs/website/t … e-redesign but it still has @media query bugs in the CSS for the handheld/mobile mode (looks like crap -- I want single-column responsive body content and hidden thumbnails -- help please big_smile). Here's the current state of the landing page (full view and new screenshot slideshow expandable on click):
Screen-Shot-2019-04-04-at-21.55.47-fullpage.th.pngScreen-Shot-2019-04-04-at-21.56.23-fullpage.th.png

The entire page suffers a bit from not having used a CSS framework with sane columnation etc. Which is regrettable, but until the landing page, it worked well enough. hhh especially likes the mobile view. Plus, I like how clean it looks (except the landing page).

That being said, I have no idea about frontend and just make stuff up as I go. Using the most modern browser features is OK (flexbox...)

Another issue is that the...opiniated...build framework that holds the entire static site together is not exactly fragile but """well integrated""". A move to a different builder would require something of a rewrite. As would a move to a different CSS framework (well, then only the template, but repoidx.html and news.html also have API-using JS relying on markup, so...).

To sum up: Quality contributions are very welcome. All the code is here: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/website, and here: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/website-api. Fork it, develop it, replace it, free for all.

I do NOT underestimate the amount of time/work that goes into this kind of thing, so don't feel obligated to contribute by any means.

In the end, the aspiration of the sites is to provide useful information, well-organized and presentable but not as flashy as you would do it to sell a product. We do calm, friendly invites.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#5 2019-04-04 20:08:06

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

@twoion - that's such a great response. Thanks for leading on this.

I like the no-frills style of the site - but am also curious to see any suggestions for improvement (@linux_user smile)

#6 2019-04-04 20:27:04

DeepDayze

Maybe use the forum's theme colors for the site itself? The dark grey is easy on the old eyes smile

Real Men Use Linux

#7 2019-04-04 20:36:40

twoion
ほやほや

DeepDayze wrote:

Maybe use the forum's theme colors for the site itself? The dark grey is easy on the old eyes smile

Not a far fetched idea. Which also was the original concept I had (there was a dark version of the site in the very beginning). The aspect of the warm grey and orange is based on this forum's Mercury theme (selectable in your profile settings) which in turn is a version of the original FluxBB scheme which I modified further to my liking. In fact, most blogs and sites I visit regularly (including this forum) I have made a "Mercury" user CSS theme for.

#8 2019-04-05 04:47:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

so there's room for improvement.

i guess it'd make sense to make the forum defualt and the website look alike.

I just tested a few other forum themes, and there seems to be none that is dark AND responsive ... ?

btw once you changed themes it's impossible to know which one the default is. a limitation of FluxBB i guess - so which one is the default?

#9 2019-04-05 04:58:01

linux_user

What is the necessity of the menu 'Repositories' on our website? Who is it for? Anyone who want to use BL would go to the 'Installation' menu or the others.

#10 2019-04-05 05:01:30

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

Another issue is that the...opiniated...build framework that holds the entire static site together is not exactly fragile but """well integrated""". A move to a different builder would require something of a rewrite. As would a move to a different CSS framework (well, then only the template, but repoidx.html and news.html also have API-using JS relying on markup, so...).

To sum up: Quality contributions are very welcome. All the code is here: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/website, and here: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/website-api. Fork it, develop it, replace it, free for all.

i don't see much here (i deliberately ignored all the javascript); it seems to come down to this file: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/website/b … /plain.css ???

I do NOT underestimate the amount of time/work that goes into this kind of thing, so don't feel obligated to contribute by any means.

well put. devil

#11 2019-04-05 05:41:02

hhh
Meep!
Website

ohnonot wrote:

btw once you changed themes it's impossible to know which one the default is. a limitation of FluxBB i guess - so which one is the default?

It's Hydrogen, I'm nearly positive. That's the theme that's displayed if you're not logged in.

#12 2019-04-05 06:58:06

twoion
ほやほや

linux_user wrote:

What is the necessity of the menu 'Repositories' on our website? Who is it for? Anyone who want to use BL would go to the 'Installation' menu or the others.

https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation … ed-install links there. Plus, an equivalent of packages.debian.org (with repoidx.html).

Also, https://www.bunsenlabs.org/repoidx.html is mainly for us (johnraff and me), and also in order to be able to link to packages.

#13 2019-04-05 07:04:42

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:

so there's room for improvement.

i guess it'd make sense to make the forum defualt and the website look alike.

They are both white, at least.

I just tested a few other forum themes, and there seems to be none that is dark AND responsive ... ?

FluxBB CSS (and markup) is a pile of garbage. None of the original themes is "responsive", and editing them without breaking them here and there is impossible. Writing from scratch is a couple  of 100s of cases to handle. On userstyles.org, install the BL forums: configurable width userstyle, it'll allow the page to take the full width of the monitor and essentially infinite zoom. More responsive, there is not.

Check out the Helium theme; it's my attempt so far to adapt to the look of the website [alpha quality].

Hydrogen.

#14 2019-04-05 07:15:01

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

I've been using the CrunchBang theme since the start, and have no usability issues, at least on a desktop PC with a reasonably wide display. Oh, except the logo at the top is almost invisible.
13pdiUGl.png

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#15 2019-04-05 10:02:57

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

^ Yes; dark and bright themes should use a different logo. I think it can be done using CSS; currently the image is still the one configured in FluxBB, which is black. [Something else to work on.]

#16 2019-04-05 13:56:59

hhh
Meep!
Website

earlybird wrote:

^ Yes; dark and bright themes should use a different logo. I think it can be done using CSS; currently the image is still the one configured in FluxBB, which is black. [Something else to work on.]

The site also uses an early logo of ours. We've since revised it so the flame sits above the letter "l" instead of the "e", that should get updated.

https://github.com/hhhorb/Lithium_theme … -flame.svg

#17 2019-04-05 14:07:53

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

hhh wrote:
earlybird wrote:

The site also uses an early logo of ours. We've since revised it so the flame sits above the letter "l" instead of the "e", that should get updated.

https://github.com/hhhorb/Lithium_theme … -flame.svg

Oh. That logo looks unbalanced IMO. If at all, the cone of the inner flame should be centered over the letter L,  otherwise it'd be a pretty weird bunsen burner. I'd also move the flame down a bit, if it has to be done that way. I can try drafting this later.

#18 2019-04-05 16:14:48

zharmad

Honestly one of the biggest fixes would be making it easier to find the install images. There's no link directly on the landing page to download them, and on the installation page the links require you to scroll down to find them.

I came here looking for something I could download quick to try it out, and it took nearly 5 minutes to find.

If there's a desire to increase the userbase, making the download easy to find would be a great way to make the distro more accessible to people.

#19 2019-04-05 18:22:45

linux_user

zharmad wrote:

Honestly one of the biggest fixes would be making it easier to find the install images. There's no link directly on the landing page to download them, and on the installation page the links require you to scroll down to find them.

I came here looking for something I could download quick to try it out, and it took nearly 5 minutes to find.

If there's a desire to increase the userbase, making the download easy to find would be a great way to make the distro more accessible to people.

From what I understand, most of the people behind BL aren't pro web designers or pro UI/UX designers. They are more focused on the harder part of developing the distro and they are pretty good at it.

Since this distro isn't meant to be a commercial project with aggressive user acquisition, a basic design that'll do the job would have sufficed.

But I understand your point and in the redesign I have thought of this CTA button big_smile.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-04-06 05:07:51)

#20 2019-04-06 04:28:16

nore
>2⁹

Many distros have direct download links in their main page and I think it is a mistake. After clicking "Installation" link in BL main page you are almost forced to read through the page before downloading. Of course you can jump directly to section "Downloads", but even then you have to read, what you are expected to do.

Crunchbang and Bunsenlabs have both had a strong educational mindset: hands off, unless you are willing to read instructions. Look down, before you jump, and don't complain afterwards. Think of post installation script or menu, they are full of text.

In the pages, those black boxes in download section, under ".torrent/https/SHA-256/PGP .sig", are too small and humble to look like clickable buttons, though.

#21 2019-04-06 05:02:14

ohnonot
...again
Website

nore wrote:

Many distros have direct download links in their main page and I think it is a mistake. After clicking "Installation" link in BL main page you are almost forced to read through the page before downloading.

this.
i can't believe how often i have to ask people (on LQ) if they read the distro's own installation instructions instead of trying to fix their problems with youtube videos.

#22 2019-04-06 05:10:01

linux_user

nore wrote:

Many distros have direct download links in their main page and I think it is a mistake. After clicking "Installation" link in BL main page you are almost forced to read through the page before downloading. Of course you can jump directly to section "Downloads", but even then you have to read, what you are expected to do.

Crunchbang and Bunsenlabs have both had a strong educational mindset: hands off, unless you are willing to read instructions. Look down, before you jump, and don't complain afterwards. Think of post installation script or menu, they are full of text.

In the pages, those black boxes in download section, under ".torrent/https/SHA-256/PGP .sig", are too small and humble to look like clickable buttons, though.

It's a good point too, sort of a guiding structure.

#23 2019-04-06 17:01:40

Pirx

There is nothing wrong with the current website. And please, do not change the forum. This one is simple, fast and looks good on mobile devices. Do not ruin it with some modern design. wink

Board footer