You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-02 09:34:35

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

What Windows tools/methods have you used installing Bunsenlabs?

Been Ms/windows free for a few years now and a recent post reminded me it's not always so cut and dried when it comes to installing gnu/Linux when a person is doing so on another platform, like a Windows operating system.

So led to this, what tools or methods have you had real success with using in Windows installing Bunsenlabs gnu/Linux? So what say you? What method/tool did you use? What media, cd/DVD, USB?

Which version(s) of windows was this done on? Extra good karma pts to anyone who may even want to test the waters and try successfully doing Bunsenlabs  installs with a selection of tools on whichever Windows versions and sharing here. Ye shall be blessed in the afterlife, possibly even with X number of virgins. smile

#2 2019-03-02 09:43:18

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: What Windows tools/methods have you used installing Bunsenlabs?

Windows method eh? This then This No install media required. Read instructions for step 2 using phone or other PC.

I can't recommend it to the user who's help thread inspired this, since I've no experience of using it on UEFI systems & dunno about the support there.

One of the two methods Rufus offers has always met with success too, worst case you have to make a USB stick twice, switch to dd mode if the default mode failed.

I've also used dd for Windows with success.

Update, on investigation DebianInstaller Loader does not play with UEFI/GPT, Debian bug #824648 so while I've used it on old BIOS based boxes it's a no go at present with newer stuff.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-03-02 20:15:32)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#3 2019-03-02 22:28:19

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ That's a vote for Rufus. Which Windows os(s) has this applied to, several bare metal installs, of a range of distros?

Really do think the Debian creating install media, which BL's page links to, leaves much to be desired. Thought about doing a thread in dev/suggests about revamping install instructions.

Easily said of course, in practice a Pita, Windows and proven tools/methods, gnu/Linux with decent explanation and possibly Mac. Then further complications of bios/mbr - uefi/gpt etc. Not a trivial task, even if there's no shortage of pertinent information, compiling it all into an orderly resource a headache for sure.

Guessing vast majority of people coming to BL already have some degree of gnu/nix experience anyway VS fresh from Windows, so could very well not even be worth it. In terms of time/effort. Not that it needs to be a master work of every single install method known to humankind either.

Some of the better thought of tools for Ms etc. People here have had issues here and there installing and no doubt were helped in figuring those out. Oh well just random brain fart.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-03-02 22:55:23)

#4 2019-03-03 00:57:57

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

In terms of "alongside" that pretty well covers the period Win 2000 --> Win 10 for dual boot (I skipped Vista)
dd for Windows I used way back with something old I  *think* it was 2000 but *may have been* NT4

Prior to that I don't really recall, but I had some flavour of Linux dual boot with Win 95 on a 486 Compaq laptop, actually that setup was weird.. Win 95 on the internal drive and Linux on a HDD hooked to the sound card (along with the CD) in the docking station.  That one I recall being "fun" to set up EZ Bios to use the docking station drive, burned an actual CD and boot from floppies to install, and to get the installer to recognize the CD on the SB16 clone I had to first modprobe a wrong driver, then rmmod & then modprobe the right one, if I let it detecty it'd modprobe the right one first & if you did that it wouldn't be recognized.  Rawwrite or Winimage for the floppy writing.

That's the real hardware installs, Virtual machines are easy, floppy images or .iso files

I'm just not counting the times I burned actual disks using whatever software I had at the time, been through about half a dozen solutions for that.. but burning real disks tends to be as reliable as the software used, it used to make a lot of coasters.

Debian's install media page truly sucks if you're starting from Windows, hence the amount of times I reach for Rufus first. Oddly enough I've never even tried unetbootin.. but I've seen *lots* of threads here and elsewhere of folks asking for help who did.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-03-03 00:58:21)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#5 2019-03-03 03:35:51

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Never tried unetbootin either or don't remember it if did. With Debian specifically advising against, taking that as a down vote for unetbootin.

Board footer