You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-30 12:46:26

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: Experimental BunsenLabs Lithium

bl-welcome:

ERROR MESSAGE:
E: Package 'bunsen-images-extra" has no installation candidate

Use the Helium one till there is one for Lithium?

bunsen-meta-lamp : Depends : phpmyadmin but it is not installable

Currently not available in buster, probably Debian bug #916310

The PNMixer config needs a tweak to use the right icon.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-30 12:56:33)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2 2019-01-30 17:23:41

hhh
Meep!
Website

Experimental BunsenLabs Lithium

@johnraff has posted the repo announcement!

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5546

Post your feedback in this thread, and happy testing! If you encounter a major issue, open a new thread for it. Thanks!

#3 2019-01-31 02:10:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

It all went smoothly. After a little tweaking...

Screenshot_2019-01-30_21-00-04.th.png

@Bearded_Blunder is correct, contrib and non-free have to be manually added to the debian buster line in sources.list before running the install of bunsen-meta-all.

His lamp and bunsen-images-extra issues didn't effect the standard installation.

Since iwconfig sets up the internet connection during the installation, editing of /etc/apt/interfaces was necessary after the BL desktop was installed to allow Network Manager to handle connections. Comment out anything except for the first eight lines as so...

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
#allow-hotplug enp9s0
#iface enp9s0 inet dhcp

And since b43 drivers for Broadcom WiFi are not available in buster, I downloaded the packages from sid and installed them with dpkg -i...

https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/fir … r/download

For amd64...

https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/b … r/download

For i386...

https://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/b4 … r/download

pnmixer has a GUI update that hasn't been configured yet in our repo. Fix the panel volume icon via right-click>Preferences>View>Icon Theme, select Use System Theme and click Apply.

@johnraff, we are in very good shape, and right on schedule! Would you be so kind as to ammend your announcement to include the sources.list, interfaces and pnmixer workarounds? Thanks again!

#4 2019-01-31 02:38:10

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: bunsen-images-extra it's not in the meta deps and I didn't consider it a high priority to build and upload for current test purposes. By all means use the Helium package for now if you need it. Lithium's might be slimmed down a bit, or split.

Re: phpmyadmin I was surprised lintian didn't pick that up when I built bunsen-welcome yesterday - it caught dpatch in the deps of bunsen-meta-packaging. Anyway phpmyadmin was removed from Buster two weeks ago. Till 4.8 comes out (if it does) I guess we just have to remove it from our deps, though it seems to be considered an important utility (never used it myself).

B_B wrote:

The PNMixer config needs a tweak to use the right icon.

@hhh how does it look to you?

Last edited by johnraff (2019-01-31 02:42:12)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2019-01-31 02:49:53

hhh
Meep!
Website

OOTB it uses PNmixer's default, Gnome-ish looking icon in the panel. Tweaking it in Preferences as I described sets it to the system theme (Paper).

#6 2019-01-31 02:57:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

@johnraff... Would you be so kind as to ammend your announcement to include the sources.list, interfaces and pnmixer workarounds?

Done smile

John
--------------------

#7 2019-01-31 03:08:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

Thanks! In ~/.config/pnmixer/config (skel), this is the commit we'll need, line #28...

SystemTheme=true

#8 2019-01-31 03:30:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Thanks! Added, but I'll hold the package upgrade a bit to see if anything else has to go in.

John
--------------------

#9 2019-01-31 03:50:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

Sounds good!

#10 2019-01-31 10:08:23

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

The phpmyadmin thing is probably a corner case, I doubt that all that many users set up the LAMP stack, something like the adminer package might drop in instead without three much difficulty, there are others. The more well-known phpmyadmin package seems to be getting very little love in Debian, & even the version in sid is too old for the default PHP version.  If that were updated by Debian, then it might backport, but seems better to switch to something that's seen an active maintainer rather than having to maintain a backport, assuming sid sees an updated version, backporting what's in sid right now would be pretty pointless.

Or modify bunsen-meta-lamp to just ship without phpmyadmin & leave users to find their own database admin tool. Or drop the package, sure it's a convenience, but there's eleventy-four tutorials out there on how to set up a LAMP stack by just putting Debian LAMP into a search engine.  Sadly many of them stop with just getting the stack installed & running rather than covering any security considerstions.  Most web tutorials tend to be on the thin side to keep blog post length down.

Personally I have no strong feelings about it either way.

I was just doing a "Yes to everything" install to see what broke if anything.

I've used phpmyadmin a few times, not as delivered in the bunsen metapackage, but as included in a pre-packaged WAMP stack (yes Windows, I know, sad) it's actually rather handy for db admin, much less likely to mess up than trying with the command line interface.  There are as I said, other things that do the same.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-31 21:07:08)

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#11 2019-02-01 07:02:54

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Or modify bunsen-meta-lamp to just ship without phpmyadmin

Done in bunsen-welcome 10.0.2-2

John
--------------------

#12 2019-02-02 07:51:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

The new jgmenu 2.0 is now available here (experimental Lithium).

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade # always a good idea on this repo
sudo apt-get install jgmenu

Enjoy!

And much kudos to developer malm. cool

Last edited by johnraff (2019-02-03 03:12:47)

John
--------------------

#13 2019-02-02 20:56:00

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Thanks @johnraff.

release notes

scrot

You can get the following menu by running the code below.

2019-01-31-212814_1024x600_scrot.th.png

jgmenu_run greeneye --config >$HOME/.config/jgmenu/jgmenurc
jgmenu_run greeneye --widgets >$HOME/.config/jgmenu/prepend.csv

#14 2019-02-04 09:24:59

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Seiously! I got stood up last Thursday, so I stayed home and installed Lithium to hd instead, big_smile on a T60. Stuff works well it seems, at the least for me. So far I have not done much of changes, and normally I just use what is there by default as long as it works for me.

Installed Spotify using the instructions for debs on their homepage, all sweet and playing right now. Added printer support and after three clicks or so the test page came out as it were supposed to. Wireless printing worked ootbx. W10 sent me into a rage that lasted for three hours doing the same thing.  yikes

There are a couple of small things that I want ot mentiong though. Conky does not start with the desktop. I have to do it manually, ok since I do not really use it. Catfish does not start from the right click menu for me, neither form dmenu. From gmrun and terminal, and there it comes with a warning.

(catfish:9348): Gtk-WARNING **: 09:18:17.360: ../../../../gtk/gtkwidget.c:8584: widget not within a GtkWindow

There has also been a weird message (is another process...) while doing update&upgrade, but I will come back to that if it reappears.  I suspect it is user related. ops

All for now, dolly smile

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#15 2019-02-04 22:41:16

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

W10 puts me in a rage about printing & scanning support too, works instantly and as expected with Bunsen on Buster, to make it work in W10, I have to reinstall 32 bit ignoring the 64 bit processor, extract the printer software & tell it to run 2 chunks of the installer in compatibility mode for Vista.. which makes it work till the 6 monthly "feature downgrade" which breaks it & forces another extract > compatibility mode > reinstall print/scan software & drivers cycle that or limited printing & no scanning support at all.  It's annoying enough I'm seriously considering shifting my Mum's PC onto Buster(64 bit) with XFCE or LXQt (she's the main scan & print user).

I think there may be a timing or ordering issue with the openbox autostarts on Buster, you're not the first to report issues like conky not loading or wallpaper not restoring, the odd short sleep seems to fix it.

#16 2019-02-06 09:30:46

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Nice to see the return of the tty log in feature after todays upgrade. Will not set it as default though, not yet, maybe later.

Installed dropbox directly from their site, choose to test the cli method, and it worked as it is supposed to do. Will stay with starting   it manually, that is ok for me since I do not use it that much. Though it is an essential service that comes in really handy sometimes. smile

Last edited by dolly (2019-02-06 09:35:35)

#17 2019-02-07 09:10:26

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

A little update about the Catfish unwillingness to start from the rightclick menu, or dmenu. If I have another application, or an inactive terminal window up on the desktop, it starts with both methods. Just thought I should mention this in case someone were wondering about it. Probably some peculiar gtk issue behind it. Please correct me if I am mixunderstanding. smile

#18 2019-02-07 09:36:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

dolly wrote:

A little update about the Catfish unwillingness to start from the rightclick menu, or dmenu. If I have another application, or an inactive terminal window up on the desktop, it starts with both methods. Just thought I should mention this in case someone were wondering about it. Probably some peculiar gtk issue behind it. Please correct me if I am mixunderstanding. smile

I saw this issue too. I resized the catfish window to open larger and that works for me, it consistently opens via the main menu. I still get a GTK warning message if I open it via a terminal though, something about icon size.

#19 2019-02-09 22:14:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

I use lxtask as a system monitor and noticed that every logout and back in was spawning a new process that was listed as "agent". I checked htop and discovered it was caused by the inclusion of geoclue-2.0 in buster...

https://packages.debian.org/buster/geoclue-2.0

GeoClue is a D-Bus geoinformation service. The goal of the Geoclue project is to make creating location-aware applications as simple as possible.

This package contains the D-Bus system service for GeoClue.

Well, I'm not an application developer and I certainly don't want six instances of "agent" running. My workaround...

sudo apt purge --autoremove geoclue-2.0

For good measure...

sudo apt purge --autoremove avahi*

Reboot.

#20 2019-02-10 17:24:35

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Just installed this Lithium ... and there is a problem with libreoffice i.e. bunsen-meta-libreoffice meta package. Here is the output from terminal after attempt to install libreoffice via Rightclick(OnDesktop)-Menu:

Installing package...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 bunsen-meta-libreoffice : Depends: libreoffice-systray but it is not installable

There were problems installing  bunsen-meta-libreoffice

Press "d" for details (q to quit)

Inspecting the libreoffice-systray package:

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-systray
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package libreoffice-systray is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libreoffice-systray' has no installation candidate

I haven't messed with sources.list:

$ apt-cache policy 
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 https://kelaino.bunsenlabs.org/~johnraff/debian lithium/main amd64 Packages
     release o=bunsenlabs,n=lithium,l=bl_lithium_experimental,c=main,b=amd64
     origin kelaino.bunsenlabs.org
 500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/contrib amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=buster,l=Debian,c=contrib,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
 500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/non-free amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=buster,l=Debian,c=non-free,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
 500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=buster,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
Pinned packages:

It seems the package libreoffice-systray is not avaliable in Buster. (However it is avaliable in stretch and sid.)

EDIT: forgot to ask: I need libreoffice; is it enough to install libreoffice, libreoffice-gtk2, libreoffice-systray, libreoffice-gnome, as per bunsen-meta-libreoffice, or are you doing important additional pre- and post- install stuff?
EDIT1: nevermind the question, if I understand what's inside deb, the control file simply lists all the packages whichi will be installed; notheing else will be done.

Last edited by iMBeCil (2019-02-10 17:37:20)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#21 2019-02-12 03:47:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

iMBeCil wrote:

if I understand what's inside deb, the control file simply lists all the packages which will be installed; nothing else will be done.

Correct!
But thanks for the bug report. I thought I had fixed that one already...
EDIT: I hadn't, that was something else. But libreoffice-systray is in Sid, on a higher version, so maybe it will arrive in Buster eventually. Let's just leave it in for now, and wait a bit.

Last edited by johnraff (2019-02-12 06:17:57)

John
--------------------

#22 2019-02-12 03:49:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

I use lxtask as a system monitor and noticed that every logout and back in was spawning a new process that was listed as "agent". I checked htop and discovered it was caused by the inclusion of geoclue-2.0 in buster...

On my Lithium test system geoclue-2.0 is not present. Maybe some app you installed later pulled it in?
'aptitude why geoclue-2.0'

John
--------------------

#23 2019-02-12 03:51:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

dolly wrote:

Conky does not start with the desktop.

Confirmed - thanks! I think I let a bit of old config leak through from helium - will have a look.

Catfish too, but I don't understand that one - could be a catfish bug.

Last edited by johnraff (2019-02-12 03:58:36)

John
--------------------

#24 2019-02-12 04:50:42

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

The catfish one is crazy,  at least for me the really crazy thing is, if you have thunar open,, then it'll open from the menu..

#25 2019-02-12 16:58:36

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

johnraff wrote:
iMBeCil wrote:

if I understand what's inside deb, the control file simply lists all the packages which will be installed; nothing else will be done.

Correct!
But thanks for the bug report. I thought I had fixed that one already...
EDIT: I hadn't, that was something else. But libreoffice-systray is in Sid, on a higher version, so maybe it will arrive in Buster eventually. Let's just leave it in for now, and wait a bit.

By all means, let's wait for final buster debian ... who knows what will enter or not final buster distro  wink

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

Board footer