You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-22 13:53:28

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Thinking of switching my laptop from dual boot & put Win 7 in a VM

Host would be Bunsen/Debian, the question is really VirtualBox, QEMU, or VMWare? Other?

Or stick with dual boot? Some of the reasoning is 7 will fall out of support before Buster does, & if I'm then still running it, it'll be safer inside a VM, not needing to browse with it.

I've no beef with VMWare being non-free as in DFSG/FOSS after all the idea is to run Windows, which is every bit as non-free.

Opinions?  All my experience is running Linux as the guest not the other way round, so what constitutes the most smooth running or performant solution may well be different.  I know what I'd pick with a Windows host, but that's a Windows host.

WINE isn't going to cut it for some of what I run, too glitchy even though it does run.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-22 14:00:27)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2 2019-01-22 15:10:02

S7.L

Re: Thinking of switching my laptop from dual boot & put Win 7 in a VM

I think you should try getting it running close to native with qemu first and see what you think of the performance, i have heard vmware is quite good at running windows vms. Do you need to be connected to the net for win7 ?

#3 2019-01-22 15:23:23

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Yes it needs a net connection, not one of the usual activities, no browsing. The software involved actually runs best in Windows of the 95/98/NT4 era, but I don't want to be running the ancient vulnerable version of SMB sharing to get files in & out of the VM that would involve.

Functionally it also runs under WINE, but the interface is broken unless you tell WINE not to allow the Window Manager to get involved, and that's darned inconvenient.  Under Windows VMWare hosts Windows guests about the smoothest of anything I've ever tried, M$ VirtualPC was next... & they were pretty close.. V-Box was always running in a poor third place.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#4 2019-01-22 15:24:18

s-rod

Been using BL at work since 2015.  As the network admin I have to have constant access to Windows apps.  I use a dual screen set up with an always-running VirtualBox Windows guest (XP,Win7,Win10).  No experience with other methods because VirtualBox has never given me a reason to look elsewhere.

#5 2019-01-22 20:25:52

unklar

With me there is no more Windows for 10 years...  cool

Host is siduction and QEMU the software. I have never tried anything else.
There are three distributions installed for playing and testing. And, almost everything I have copied from HoaS.   smile

#6 2019-01-22 21:51:59

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

@OP: I have similar setup: some franken(sid)debian as a host, and Win7 in VirtualBox. I need Windows primarily for AutoCad, certain MSOffice documents, SigmaPlot plotting software (this one can work under WINE), and sometimes LabView.

I setup this long time ago, when kvm/qemu weren't so good ... but today, AFAIK, kvm/qemu would work as good as VirtualBox - there are few posts on BLforum about this worth to read, especially about 'passthrough' to real hardware, notably GFX.

I should switch to kvm/qemu, but I'm lazy  smile

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#7 2019-01-28 03:47:48

paxmark1

Several years now with Win7 in Virtualbox, with Debian Stretch, started when it was testing. I tried the qemu route then but it did not work easily.  Nowadays I think I would go more with qemu.  What with the Virtualbox going to 6 and it probably not making it into Buster when it goes stable, I would recommend the more closed code from Virtual box. But I will give qemu another try. 

Gonnna get a ssd and set up Debian testing there and go from 8 to 12 gb memory. 

inxi - f tells you what flags you have on your cpu and if it is well suited for qemu or virtualbox. 

Mom uses quiicken, so ....

Board footer