You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-23 11:32:04

topsweg

Mirroring Bunsenlabs?

Hi!

Is it possible to mirror the bunsenlabs repository?
I don not have any programming skill so I can contribute by code, but helping you (possibly) to save bandwith atleast smile

I am already running a mirror official mirror for various distros, such as Debian, Ubuntu, Alpine, Slackware and some more. So I would also mirror Bunsenlabs repositories and help you out with that.

Some information about my mirror:

HTTP|HTTPS - mirror.linux.pizza
TOR (HTTP) - lxpizzamm6twgep2.onion
RSYNC - rsync.linux.pizza

Speed - 1Gbit
Location - Southern Sweden
Contact: Jonathan Sélea (admin@selea.se) & Joakim Svensson (admin@operationtulip.com)
Thanks to: Operationtulip.com

Would it be possible to set up an rsync daemon on your server so we can mirror it?

Looking forward to your reply!

#2 2018-12-24 10:47:49

twoion
ほやほや

Re: Mirroring Bunsenlabs?

We're a pretty small operation, repository-wise, our repository is only 600M in size (most of that wallpaper and artwork packages) and we already have two public geolocation-balanced mirrors ({asia,eu}.pkg.bunsenlabs.org via pkg.bunsenlabs.org) and the option of adding more if the load would be higher, but it isn't. I also like the ability to control mirror contents in realtime, without delay and having to depend on third parties pulling updates from a root mirror. So from a capacity perspective, I do not see much of a point by taking up your offer as that would only increase complexity.

Remains redundancy.

We encourage people to put https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org into their package manager configurations in order to be able to steer traffic if needed (though putting eu.pkg.bunsenlabs.org or asia.pkg.bunsenlabs.org literally is also an option). This makes the host serving pkg.bunsenlabs.org a single point of failure at the moment. I'm planning to add another A record for the domain though so this problem is going to go away. Therefore, from this perspective, we do not really need an additional mirror either.

For the project, the best way to help is just seeding our ISO torrents smile

Thanks for the offer though. We won't integrate the mirror into our loadbalancing, but if you still want a copy, we can set up an rsync daemon for you.

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#3 2018-12-24 11:47:49

topsweg

Re: Mirroring Bunsenlabs?

twoion wrote:

We're a pretty small operation, repository-wise, our repository is only 600M in size (most of that wallpaper and artwork packages) and we already have two public geolocation-balanced mirrors ({asia,eu}.pkg.bunsenlabs.org via pkg.bunsenlabs.org) and the option of adding more if the load would be higher, but it isn't. I also like the ability to control mirror contents in realtime, without delay and having to depend on third parties pulling updates from a root mirror. So from a capacity perspective, I do not see much of a point by taking up your offer as that would only increase complexity.

Remains redundancy.

We encourage people to put https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org into their package manager configurations in order to be able to steer traffic if needed (though putting eu.pkg.bunsenlabs.org or asia.pkg.bunsenlabs.org literally is also an option). This makes the host serving pkg.bunsenlabs.org a single point of failure at the moment. I'm planning to add another A record for the domain though so this problem is going to go away. Therefore, from this perspective, we do not really need an additional mirror either.

For the project, the best way to help is just seeding our ISO torrents smile

Thanks for the offer though. We won't integrate the mirror into our loadbalancing, but if you still want a copy, we can set up an rsync daemon for you.

Hi,
Thanks for the answer!
Regarding that you want to control content mirror content i realtime I can let you push up the content directly via rsync, so that is easily solvable smile

I would gladly help in the future if you find that there is a need for it! Thanks for a good product an for your time!

Board footer