You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-08 22:54:16

dbvolvox

Upribox

Does anyone have experience with this privacy device?

See https://docs.upribox.org/

#2 2018-12-09 10:35:35

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Re: Upribox

^No, I'm not using it, but from the web page it seems to be a sort of 'anonymizing-router'. in a sense that how would one configure its computer to increase anonymity, it is instead scaled up to the entire (sub)network.

It depends what do you want to do ... it seems to be perfect for anonymizing against regular web pages.

And it certainly looks interesting, and worth a try if you want to - say - anonymize your entire family. Although, some services might not work if they cannot plant a cooky in your browser ...

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#3 2018-12-09 13:48:35

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

It's basically similar to some of the "add-on" boxes some companies sell - you basically use the box as a "go-between" device between your router and connected devices.

From what I understand (I haven't read it all yet), you can get most of the features using open source router firmware (with compatible router, obviously) like LEDE, OpenWRT, DD-WRT, etc, or a decent enterprise grade router setup.

An interesting project, but nothing new, really.

iMBeCil wrote:

Although, some services might not work if they cannot plant a cooky in your browser ...

Either that or perpetual Captcha hell cry

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-12-09 13:51:47)

#4 2018-12-09 19:33:38

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

glittersloth wrote:

Either that or perpetual Captcha hell cry

Oh ... don't remind me. Sometimes I fear the question 'Select all boxes with the street sign' ... I never got it right. Either I'm a robot, or I am a total imbec... oh wait!

Seriously, though, about the Upribox project ... It emphasizes '[you] won’t get bothered anymore by annoying ads and trackers', 'you can use your upribox to surf the web anonymously via Tor', '[it can] be your OpenVPN server'. It looks cool to me, RPI with all that stuff.

Fun thing: in my language, the word 'upri' in EngRish means 'to do something pronouncedly' or 'strongly pressing (with hand or finger)' ... and box is - well, the box. So, I would call it 'strong-box'.  smile 

Actually, this 'fun thing' bit is not that funny, not funny at all, and actually, it is a bit stupid. Now, I'm ashamed of writing it ...  monkey  monkey

Last edited by iMBeCil (2018-12-09 19:33:58)

#5 2018-12-10 08:24:30

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

@iMBeCil: I thought it means simply 'resist'?

#6 2018-12-10 09:44:39

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^No, no no, i doesn't.

To be more precise, in Croatian (my language), it means exactly as I said.

Brontosaurex, you are probably referring to the 'upreti (se)' in Slovenian language, where it does mean 'resist'.

A bit of history: Slovenia and Croatia are among countries which were former 'states' of Yugoslavia; they border each other, the first one positioned more west. Although they were cloe one to another, Slovenian language differs a lot from the Croatian language, but Croatian people closer to the Slovenia border can understand Slovenian language. Reverse is also true.

#7 2018-12-10 22:54:43

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

According to google translate it may actually be Hindu Hindi for 'Upper'.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-12-14 12:10:05)

#8 2018-12-14 03:07:42

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

^ I'm no expert at languages. My Slovenian is limited to the word "Akrapovič", my Croatian is mostly learned from this respected online resource and I'd wager the name of this delightful beverage doesn't mean what we think it means in its native German and/or Austrian.... but I'm pretty sure "Hindu" is a religion, not a language. I assume you were referring to Hindi, or possibly Sanskrit?

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-12-14 03:15:05)

#9 2018-12-14 12:10:16

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

^ fiixed.

#10 2018-12-14 15:42:39

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Huehue ... it is very funny when my English (actually, Wales) friend talks about this Croatian beer ... It has been particularly funny once when he tried to order this in the pub in Zagreb, simultaneously utterly embarrassed, drunk and thirsty: 'Hey, waiter, gimme one Fakin IPA beer.' big_smile big_smile

FYI: 'Fakin' (accent on 'ki') is local Zagreb-word and actually means 'rowdy' in a good sense  wink

#11 2018-12-15 07:30:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

glittersloth wrote:

I'd wager the name of this delightful beverage doesn't mean what we think it means in its native German and/or Austrian....

first of all, virtually all germans and austrians understand enough english to be captivated by the english meaning first, and only later figure out it's an elaborate joke:
"hell" simply means "light" - it's a light (colour) beer. Lager, basically.
and there really is a place in austria called fucking.
if i remember correctly (i will not look that up now) the mayor of the town protested vehemently against this beer - which was created (solely for this joke) not so long ago - apparently without success devil

completely off topic...

Board footer