You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-27 19:15:51

hhh
That's it!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 7,240
Website

Microsoft officially takes over GitHub

https://blog.github.com/2018-10-26-gith … microsoft/

GitHub will operate independently as a community, platform, and business. This means that GitHub will retain its developer-first values, distinctive spirit, and open extensibility. We will always support developers in their choice of any language, license, tool, platform, or cloud.

GitHub will retain its product philosophy. We love GitHub because of the deep care and thoughtfulness that goes into every facet of the developer’s experience. I understand and respect this, and know that we will continue to build tasteful, snappy, polished tools that developers love.

Offline

#2 2018-10-27 21:20:09

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 629

Re: Microsoft officially takes over GitHub

So MS is going to keep Github at arms-length, yet cherry pick (steal) projects that are hosted there?


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#3 2018-10-28 02:38:57

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 5,143
Website

Re: Microsoft officially takes over GitHub

I think for now we just need to keep a careful eye on things.

I don't know how easy it would be for MS to actually steal projects that were GPL licenced - ie to re-release them under more restrictive commercial conditions - but of course like anyone they're free to use the code. But they wouldn't need to buy GitHub to do that.

My guess is that they might start introducing more and more "features" to try to make GitHub necessary for people using git. Pros like Debian devs won't get caught, but some general users might find themselves trapped and unable to migrate to eg GitLabs...

As long as your git repos remain usable from the CLI via vanilla git, I'm guessing/hoping it should be OK.


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#4 2018-10-28 03:27:11

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 629

Re: Microsoft officially takes over GitHub

johnraff wrote:

I think for now we just need to keep a careful eye on things.

I don't know how easy it would be for MS to actually steal projects that were GPL licenced - ie to re-release them under more restrictive commercial conditions - but of course like anyone they're free to use the code. But they wouldn't need to buy GitHub to do that.

My guess is that they might start introducing more and more "features" to try to make GitHub necessary for people using git. Pros like Debian devs won't get caught, but some general users might find themselves trapped and unable to migrate to eg GitLabs...

As long as your git repos remain usable from the CLI via vanilla git, I'm guessing/hoping it should be OK.

Debian devs are too smart to let MS trap them but yes the ordinary folks who use Github for their hobby projects might well be. Just hoping MS does not cripple that place and making it harder for those people to migrate to another hub.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#5 2018-10-28 09:45:53

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,578
Website

Re: Microsoft officially takes over GitHub

DeepDayze wrote:

So MS is going to keep Github at arms-length, yet cherry pick (steal) projects that are hosted there?

i don't understand how that relates to the OP; can you clarify and show some proof esp. for the second half?

i'm just glad i moved my stuff elsewhere months ago.
i don't mind about getting less exposure, it's not like people cared much for my projects when they were on github, either.

btw, gitlab.com (not to be confused with the FOSS software gitlab) is not much better than the old github.com, and probably not much better than the new github.com either.

Offline

#6 2018-10-29 02:09:00

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 5,143
Website

Re: Microsoft officially takes over GitHub

Anyway, for now GitHub remains a very useful resource IMO.
Heavily used too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso … Popularity
69 million projects!

EDIT Other possible motivations MS might have:
*) Leverage Linkedin to enable companies to find skilled developers. (Mentioned in Wired)
*) Improve its (justifiably terrible) image in the FOSS world.
*) Simply by the fact that those 24 million GH users will suddenly find themselves using an MS-owned platform, to lower the barrier to adoption of other products.

The hate that many developers have for MS and all its works is based on history, and it will take a lot of work by MS to convince them that it really has changed its ways (if it has).

Last edited by johnraff (2018-10-29 04:16:04)


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#7 2019-02-11 21:08:34

THX1138
Member
Registered: 2019-01-14
Posts: 191

Re: Microsoft officially takes over GitHub

johnraff wrote:

The hate that many developers have for MS and all its works is based on history, and it will take a lot of work by MS to convince them that it really has changed its ways (if it has).

I dont know why but as I read this the image of a leopard came into my mind and all these spots appeared in front of my eyes


The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB