You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-04 04:43:50

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Hate Mail

This is probably mainly for the BL devs etc but probably applies to all.

Do you guys ever receive hate mail from users who don't like changes you make?  I seriously received one of the most vitriolic, hate filled emails I have ever received from a guy today because he doesn't like our installer.  Though when I was on G+ he did pester me with how much he hated AL.  Haven't been on G+ in months and today I receive this email.

I think there are far too many unstable, mentally unwell people out there.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#2 2018-10-04 04:59:38

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

Re: Hate Mail

Dobbie03 wrote:

*raises hand*

#3 2018-10-04 07:25:35

Jimbo_G

Was the hate mail specifically about changes you had made to the installer? If it's someone who just generally hates AL, maybe he could... use another distro?

There is definitely something about dealing with change that some people have a really hard time accepting. I've been involved in a few forums where major design changes have been made, and the reactions from some people seem far out of proportion to the actual importance of what's been implemented.

I guess the internet does also make it easier to react very violently, in a way (most) people wouldn't dream of IRL.

#4 2018-10-04 08:34:38

Nili
Website

WTF Dobb? Well, If he/she do not like your rice, then worse for him/her after losing a chance to enjoy a good distro.
Hate a distro? WOW, i don't like too many distro but never express hatred when it comes to any distro including Windows.

You said well, there something wrong with that person, just ignore it, don't feed it by replying.

Nothing beats peace and quiet. - Tomoki Sakurai

#5 2018-10-04 10:36:07

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Dobbie03 wrote:

This is probably mainly for the BL devs etc but probably applies to all.

Never got something like that.

Very few people know my personal email addresses anyway.

But I tend to completely ignore people who don't add value to my day, so I don't think I'm especially vulnerable to what asshats write on the internet.

You probably feel attacked less on a personal level but because the person tries to devaluate the work you've done on AL.

If the attack contains some valid criticism (I wouldn't know) why AL is a bad idea, consider this:

I'm Mark Shuttleworth, I copy the entire Debian software repository, rebrand it, make it pretty, don't change much else and call it Ubuntu. Is it useful at this point? No. Is it a stupid idea? Maybe. But it's free as in free beer so take it or fuck off. My hobby is no business of yours.

#6 2018-10-04 11:01:46

glittersloth

earlybird wrote:

I'm Mark Shuttleworth, I copy the entire Debian software repository, rebrand it, make it pretty, don't change much else and call it Ubuntu. Is it useful at this point? No. Is it a stupid idea? Maybe. But it's free as in free beer so take it or fuck off. My hobby is no business of yours.

I also live on the Isle of Man* where we have no national speed limits and the TT, so all you pansies complaining about operating systems can sod off.

*let's ignore the tax breaks for a moment here.

earlybird wrote:

But I tend to completely ignore people who don't add value to my day.

Yup. The path of least resistance is often the most sanitary.
On a related note, did you know that when talking to someone in real life, even if more than an arm's length away, you're still flinging small microscopic particles at each other. Eeeewwww.....

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-10-04 11:14:37)

#7 2018-10-04 11:15:23

S7.L

Might be an Arch Forum moderator wink

I think i remember hearing AL is working on a new installer?

Calamares ive found to always be a bit tricky, not just with AL but a fair few other distros that use it. For me it was a second attempt at installing AL that worked, 1st time it just shut down so i restarted it and tried again and had luck.

Last edited by S7.L (2018-10-04 11:15:53)

"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate."...Voilà!

~ V

#8 2018-10-04 23:01:08

hhh
That's easy!
Website

glittersloth wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

*raises hand*

I knew it. You're who Papa Nominal meant when he said "bat-fucking-crazy nutters". points finger    YOOOOUUU!!!!!

Posting this here for posterity before all all traces of The End go offline and Skynet takes over...

corenominal   2015-02-06 12:22:13

corenominal
    WRONG

The end.

I have decided to stop developing CrunchBang. This has not been an easy decision to make and I’ve been putting it off for months. It’s hard to let go of something you love.

When I first started working on CrunchBang, the Linux landscape was a very different place and whilst I honestly didn’t know if there was any value to it, I knew there was a place for CrunchBang on my own systems. As it turned out, there seemed to be quite a demand for it on other people’s systems too. I’m not entirely sure why this was the case, but if I had to guess, I would say that it was probably due to the lack of competition/alternatives of the same ilk. If I’m remembering correctly, at the time, there was no LXDE tasksel in Debian and certainly no Lubuntu around. CrunchBang filled a gap and that was nifty.

So, what’s changed?

For anyone who has been involved with Linux for the past ten years or so, I’m sure they’ll agree that things have moved on. Whilst some things have stayed exactly the same, others have changed beyond all recognition. It’s called progress, and for the most part, progress is a good thing. That said, when progress happens, some things get left behind, and for me, CrunchBang is something that I need to leave behind. I’m leaving it behind because I honestly believe that it no longer holds any value, and whilst I could hold on to it for sentimental reasons, I don’t believe that would be in the best interest of its users, who would benefit from using vanilla Debian.

Talking of its users, thank you, you’ve been awesome and you’ve taught me so much, much of which is beyond the scope of this post, but needless to say, I think I’m much wiser now than I was before the existence of CrunchBang and its community of users. I’ve made many friends through the project, which for me, has ultimately been the biggest benefit of the project, and something I’ll be forever grateful for.

I also want to take a few words to thank my wife, Becky, aka bobobex. She has supported me and the project from the outset. Over the years, I’m sure I’ve bored her almost to death with my geeky gobbledygook and she’s never moaned about it once, well, not to me at least. Seriously though, thank you Becky for your support, help and guidance, you’re my rock and I love you.

Regarding what will happen to the CrunchBang forums, they will remain online. Ultimately, they belong to the community and so it will be for the community to decide what happens to them. I’m happy to continue supporting them for as long as need be. I have already expressed my thanks to the forum moderators, privately, but I would like to do so publicly too. Unless you’ve been involved with a project like CrunchBang, I’m not sure you can entirely appreciate the behind-the-scenes work that goes into it. The forum moderators have effectively kept the community running and without them, I’m sure there would not have been a community at all. Over the years, they’ve had to deal with some truly bonkers and poisonous people (seriously, there are some bat-fucking-crazy nutters out there with far too much time on their hands) and they’ve done so with enormous tact, diplomacy and decorum. All the forum mods have my utmost respect, they are an incredible bunch of people.

As for me, while I’m deeply sad to let go of a project that in many ways has defined my existence for many years, but I’m also excited to see what happens next. I’ve got a few little pet projects I want to work on, and I’ve also got a day job that I want to excel at. It’s going to be interesting to see what the future brings.

See you around smile

#9 2018-10-04 23:05:22

hhh
That's easy!
Website

On Topic, I've never received BL hate mail, and none of the other devs have ever reported receiving any that I can recall.

Of course, we have an installer that doesn't suck. rimshot I kid, I couldn't resist. I'm a dick sometimes.

#10 2018-10-05 00:03:38

glittersloth

Did some reading on this Calamares installer thing. From their About page;

The idea of Calamares arose from a desire of several independent Linux distributions to come together and work on a shared system installer.

So it's like Lollapalooza. No wonder you're attracting the crazies.

but wait....

Instead of everyone working on their own implementation and forking forks of forks, why not work together on something that can be used by many?

Now it sounds like a Lollapalooza organized by the PLA.

#11 2018-10-05 04:07:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Touch wood, but to date I've not had any hate-filled mails about BL or anything else.
(Someone once took criticism of my bash coding style a bit beyond what was necessary, I thought, but even they kept to relatively civilized language. roll)

Calamares gets good reports from some people btw, but I've not tried it.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#12 2018-10-05 05:17:10

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Thanks for the replies dudes.

Its some dude from Google+ who has English as a second language who tried calling me out on a site saying that he contacted me for help and I told him to purchase new hardware, which was totally false.  I asked him to show me where I did that and never heard a peep until about 12 months later when I received this email.

Maybe in promoting AL I have put myself out there on the web and am just asking for this?  I dunno, I treat all internet users with respect and sort of expect the same back.

Anyway I'm not bothered about the email, it just surprised me that someone was that upset about AL they took the time to email me and abuse me! I'm in the habit of generally ignoring something I don't agree with and just move on.

OH WELL!

P.S.  hhh.....flip you man......flip you to heck and back!

#13 2018-10-05 05:47:08

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ why am i not surprised google+ is involved?
anyhow, my empathy, and i do hope you have plenty different email addresses!

Jimbo_G wrote:

I guess the internet does also make it easier to react very violently, in a way (most) people wouldn't dream of IRL.

this.

wait... is Calamares what they sometimes call "Arch's installer"? - because that phrase always confuses me.

#14 2018-10-05 06:01:57

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

^ thanks my friend.  It was one of the reasons I deleted my account there.  Yes I have a couple of other private email addresses.

AL doesn't use Calamares, we use a fork of ABIF.  Calamares is what Manjaro uses.

#15 2018-10-05 06:17:13

ohnonot
...again
Website

Dobbie03 wrote:

AL doesn't use Calamares, we use a fork of ABIF.  Calamares is what Manjaro uses.

my-oh-my, why are people discussing it in this thread then?
going off-topic in off-topic is still off-topic.

#16 2018-10-05 11:30:39

S7.L

^ my bad, i must have been thinking of the old AL before minimo.

"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate."...Voilà!

~ V

#17 2018-10-05 17:50:21

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

S7.L wrote:

^ my bad, i must have been thinking of the old AL before minimo.

That's it, we haven't used Calamares for a very long time.

#18 2018-10-05 22:48:02

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Dobbie03 wrote:

That's my man!

#19 2018-10-06 00:05:24

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

hhh wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

That's my man!

LOL, sorry I had to use such strong language but I felt I needed to get my point across.

So the hate mail continues, I must say this guys style of insulting is at neanderthal levels of intelligence.  Its hilarious, though I have grown tired of it and have created a filter to just delete his mails before they arrive.

#20 2018-10-06 00:25:21

hhh
That's easy!
Website

My virgin eyes!

Nice on the filter. Sucks that you were targeted, but I guess it can happen to anyone with a public email address.

#21 2018-10-06 00:57:59

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

hhh wrote:

Sucks that you were targeted

I must have inadvertently done something to upset the guy.  It's all good though.

#22 2018-10-06 01:02:54

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Offer him double his money back.

Calamares is in upstream Debian--we looked at it a bit for MX, but we thought the KDE runtime libraries (libkf5*) that it requires were a bit much for a non-KDE distro: https://packages.debian.org/buster/calamares

#23 2018-10-06 01:11:32

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

stevep wrote:

Offer him double his money back.

I like that idea.

Last edited by Dobbie03 (2018-10-06 01:12:01)

#24 2018-10-06 01:41:53

hhh
That's easy!
Website

I'd say triple, but I bet this idiot would send you an itemized bill.

#25 2018-10-06 01:45:53

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Dobbie03 wrote:
hhh wrote:

Sucks that you were targeted

I must have inadvertently done something to upset the guy.  It's all good though.

It takes a while to heal butt-hurt. Coccyx, ouch. Damn you, residual tail-bone.

Board footer