You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-21 17:04:14

danypendeira

What distro would you recommend for this PC?

Hey all:

What distro wheter it's bunsen or not would you recommend for a PC like this?:

i5-2400 at 3.10GHZ, 8GB of RAM and 1TB hard drive and integrated video card of Intel. The PC isn't that old.

I'm not a gamer and don't care about gaming at all.

I'm sick of Windows 10 constant updates, recently they messed up the system. I have nothing important of the PC. I'm willing to reformat if needed since there's nothing to back up.

Thanks for your good recommendations.

#2 2018-09-21 18:01:00

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Re: What distro would you recommend for this PC?

^Well, an obvious recommendation would be the BunsenLabs smile , wouldn't it?

Seriously, it depends on so many factors, like do you like fancy Desktop Manager (GNOME; KDE), or you like minimalism (BunsenLabs, ArchLabs, ....), do you like 'batteries included' (Ubuntu, Mint, ...), or do you want to tinker with your configuration to get optimal setup (BunsenLabs, ArchLabs ...).

All mentioned distros will work on your PC nicely.

Last edited by iMBeCil (2018-09-21 18:01:53)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#3 2018-09-21 19:06:17

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

Your system is good enough to run any distro out there. You can go easy (Ubuntu), go crazy (Qubes), or go vegan (Arch). The choice is yours.

Obviously, most politically correct route would be BoysLove BunsenLabs, because forum.

#4 2018-09-21 20:50:18

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

glittersloth wrote:

Obviously, most politically correct route would be BoysLove BunsenLabs, because forum.

Nice to see you haven't lost your touch.

Last edited by PackRat (2018-09-21 20:50:40)

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#5 2018-09-21 21:24:44

twoion
ほやほや

danypendeira wrote:

Hey all:

What distro wheter it's bunsen or not would you recommend for a PC like this?:

i5-2400 at 3.10GHZ, 8GB of RAM and 1TB hard drive and integrated video card of Intel. The PC isn't that old.

I'm not a gamer and don't care about gaming at all.

I'm sick of Windows 10 constant updates, recently they messed up the system. I have nothing important of the PC. I'm willing to reformat if needed since there's nothing to back up.

Thanks for your good recommendations.

That hardware will run anything.

You can stick to Linux. But that thing will also run OpenBSD just fine (which is a bit difficult on most laptops for example) so if you're into that: now you have the choice.

If you want a consistent desktop experience for many years at a time with 1 upgrade per decade, for example to run a file server or just to get it out of your way, use CentOS or RHEL. RHEL takes the crown in terms of LTS, no questions asked, and RedHat invests 100s of millions USD in maintaining that platform. CentOS 7 has a pretty nice and simple desktop (a GNOME 3 that looks like GNOME 2, aka fallback mode).

If you want some more frequent feature updates and wider hardware support, use Debian Stable or Ubuntu LTS with HWE stack, or BunsenLabs of course which is based on Debian stable. Debian Stable is a good choice if you're using a window-manager based  desktop, or if by accident the release captured a good state of GNOME or KDE if you want to use one of these (usually NOT the case). However...

If you want to get a first-class big-desktop experience with polished and bug-fixed KDE or GNOME, use Fedora, OpenSuSE Leap, the latest Ubuntu release, Debian testing, or a solid rolling-release distro like Arch Linux. KDE Neon for example is a specialty distro for delivering a polished KDE experience on top of a stable Ubuntu release.

If you can live without OpenGL accelerated applications and video playback (I can't) and like security, you might enjoy QubesOS, which is probably the most secure and usable-at-the-same-time distro today.

Other specialty distros are Nix, Void, Alpine, and a bunch of others I'm sure.

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#6 2018-09-22 03:09:55

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Just a note about Debian testing, I'd recommend tracking sid instead, or waiting till the beginning of the testing freeze around January to run testing, and then you'll be running the next stable (buster). Packages are coming in to testing at a quick but staggered rate ATM, and GNOME and KDE can easily break as a result.

KDE was broken in testing less than 3 weeks ago and upgrading to sid was the fix. This may not be the case any more, YMMV.

BTW, Plasma 3.15 or newer for the win.

#7 2018-09-22 22:57:14

danypendeira

Thanks all.
I wanted to try CentOS but the torrent gets stuck at 81% and never finishes downloading, I've tried many mirrors and it's always the same.
I tried Debian cinnammon, fedora mate compiz. For some reasons distros with KDE never run fine in my PC. And yes, I have tried some Arch such as Manjaro or Antergos. Manjaro XFCE works great in my PC but Antergos never installs properly, no matter what I do. OpenSUSE crashed!

#8 2018-09-22 23:09:03

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Well, how did you like Cinnamon and Mate?

#9 2018-09-24 22:33:44

danypendeira

Yeah, I like cinnamon, mate and xfce. I don't like kde.

#10 2018-09-25 02:42:20

hhh
That's easy!
Website

XFCE then, FTW.

Board footer