You are not logged in.

#26 2018-09-08 09:25:30

Hyacinth
Member
Registered: 2018-03-26
Posts: 14

Re: Linux Smartphones

Perhaps in the future one can use Anbox (I think it’s called) to run Android apps in a container, so you can use WhatsApp on the phone as well! But I think most people who have a need for that will keep an extra phone or tablet to the side to run those specific apps, just like lots of people who use Linux on their computer also keep Windows somewhere in case they need it for some special software.

Offline

#27 2018-09-08 12:17:19

DustyB
Member
Registered: 2017-07-02
Posts: 61

Re: Linux Smartphones

Hyacinth wrote:

Perhaps in the future one can use Anbox (I think it’s called) to run Android apps

Thank you .. Appreciate the help .. but I personally don't use WhatsApp .. been about 4 years since I used it .. I currently use iMessage, I have however installed (and have had my family install) Telegram after learning of it on this thread and reading about it on Telegram's website

Offline

#28 2018-09-08 13:45:12

titan
Member
Registered: 2015-10-02
Posts: 59

Re: Linux Smartphones

Telegram is not the most secure messaging service I really do not understand why it has such a following it is not even fully open source. Signal seems to have lost credibility for remaining non federated and Wire seems to be generally accepted as more secure and is open source. Matrix (Riot) is open but unless you run your own server you are using their server. XMPP with OMEMO is secure I ran it on a pi and an external server but getting friends and family to use it not so easy. Conversations is a great Android app for XMPP
https://www.xda-developers.com/conversa … p-android/
https://conversations.im/

I now use Wire (Swiss) great for messaging and video all encrypted. I also have been using Tutanota (German) for email for over three years. It is free but I pay for the service and use my own domain, they have just made it available from FDroid.
https://tutanota.com/

Offline

#29 2018-09-08 14:48:11

DustyB
Member
Registered: 2017-07-02
Posts: 61

Re: Linux Smartphones

^titan - thank you will check those out

Offline

#30 2018-09-12 16:48:19

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 658

Re: Linux Smartphones

Still vaporware, and probably won't amount to much. Just posting for the sake of postery; https://embraceclarity.com/
I'm generally apprehensive of anything that markets itself around the term "decentralized", but I do like the idea of a typographic UI.

Offline

#31 2018-09-13 05:19:20

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,201
Website

Re: Linux Smartphones

^ somehow the website does not work for me, even with all blocks disabled. no images, some text missing.
not a good sign.

Offline

#32 2018-09-13 05:52:35

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 658

Re: Linux Smartphones

^ LOL, so much for being decentralized.
Was viewing it on Safari (iOS) earlier when posted. Checking now on FF-ESR (Debian). Site loads fine if I allow the primary domain (obviously) and the two cloudfront requests.

Offline

#33 2018-09-13 06:41:33

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,201
Website

Re: Linux Smartphones

^ ok now it worked.
this sometimes happens when javascript-laden sites do not consider people using noscript: even after allowing all scripts & reloading, somethign still won't work.
whatever.
all the right buzzwords, nothing concrete. let's wait a few years.

Offline

#34 2018-09-15 08:02:50

Hyacinth
Member
Registered: 2018-03-26
Posts: 14

Re: Linux Smartphones

Like titan, I have been using Wire too. For a long time, actually. It looks great, is open, and secure.

I don’t know anyone who uses telegram or signal. They require a phone number to use I think, which doesn’t seem like a very good idea from a security perspective. I don’t think security is the goal of telegram though. Because it’s not even open source! How can you have an independent audit then..

Offline

#35 2018-09-19 02:59:44

DustyB
Member
Registered: 2017-07-02
Posts: 61

Re: Linux Smartphones

You might want to take a look at this Gemini Phone

Offline

#36 2018-09-19 04:36:03

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,201
Website

Re: Linux Smartphones

^ same price as the librem 5.
interesting; i think i can see a trend developing here.

Offline

#37 2018-09-19 04:50:10

DustyB
Member
Registered: 2017-07-02
Posts: 61

Re: Linux Smartphones

^yes but it is designed to dual boot Linux with Android ... Linux is optional if I read the details correctly

Last edited by DustyB (2018-09-19 04:50:35)

Offline

#38 2018-10-04 18:37:58

Martin
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 273
Website

Re: Linux Smartphones

Re Fairphone and LineageOS: My oldest niece has a Fairphone. She bought it used this spring and installed LineageOS. This is pretty impressive as she is not a techie kind of gal at all -- she asked around on fora and followed the instructions and advice she got and it worked.

For the benefit of this thread I asked her recently how it works -- now that she has some months of experience. She report back that it works OK. The only fly in the ointment is frequent re-boots.

/Martin


"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Offline

#39 2018-10-05 05:23:46

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,201
Website

Re: Linux Smartphones

^ thanks for the positive contribution!

Martin wrote:

The only fly in the ointment is frequent re-boots.

frequent reboots due to frequent updates (i can confirm that) or frequent random reboots (that would be bad)?

Offline

#40 2018-10-05 06:00:10

Martin
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 273
Website

Re: Linux Smartphones

ohnonot wrote:

^ thanks for the positive contribution!

Martin wrote:

The only fly in the ointment is frequent re-boots.

frequent reboots due to frequent updates (i can confirm that) or frequent random reboots (that would be bad)?

The latter I think but I have to check -- which may take a while since I use email and that is not the no. 1 communications tool in her generation :-)
(Phoning her should work, though.)

/Martin
PS My Nokia 700 aqcuired the 'feature' of random if not frequent reboots after it received its last system up-date (several years ago now). It was ultra-stable before that so I can't help but suspect that Microsoft hoped that crippling it would make me buy a new Windows smart-phone.

Last edited by Martin (2018-10-05 06:07:08)


"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Offline

#41 2018-10-05 06:23:33

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,201
Website

Re: Linux Smartphones

Martin wrote:

The latter I think but I have to check -- which may take a while since I use email and that is not the no. 1 communications tool in her generation :-)
(Phoning her should work, though.)

a friend of mine told me she had big trouble with her FP2, to the point she decided to drop it completely and get a "normal" android phone instead.
iirc, it involved random reboots.
so it would be interesting to clarify!

PS My Nokia 700 aqcuired the 'feature' of random if not frequent reboots after it received its last system up-date (several years ago now). It was ultra-stable before that so I can't help but suspect that Microsoft hoped that crippling it would make me buy a new Windows smart-phone.

omg, are you still using that? i guess not.
i still have a similar model here. I love it, I will not throw it away. I still use it as an alarm clock.
Microsoft never touched this one. are you sure they updated the old, "real" nokia phones?
... smartphones used to be smaller, but also heavier. that one feels heavy. solid metal, kindof.

Offline

#42 2018-10-05 20:13:20

Martin
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 273
Website

Re: Linux Smartphones

ohnonot wrote:
Martin wrote:

The latter I think but I have to check -- which may take a while since I use email and that is not the no. 1 communications tool in her generation :-)
(Phoning her should work, though.)

a friend of mine told me she had big trouble with her FP2, to the point she decided to drop it completely and get a "normal" android phone instead.
iirc, it involved random reboots.
so it would be interesting to clarify!

PS My Nokia 700 aqcuired the 'feature' of random if not frequent reboots after it received its last system up-date (several years ago now). It was ultra-stable before that so I can't help but suspect that Microsoft hoped that crippling it would make me buy a new Windows smart-phone.

omg, are you still using that? i guess not.
i still have a similar model here. I love it, I will not throw it away. I still use it as an alarm clock.
Microsoft never touched this one. are you sure they updated the old, "real" nokia phones?
... smartphones used to be smaller, but also heavier. that one feels heavy. solid metal, kindof.

Regarding Fairphone reboots: It happend several times a day I am told in today's email.

Regarding Nokia 700: Yes, I still use it and it suits my needs better than any modern smartphone does. I don't do Facebook, Snapchat or... and have very little urge to surf on the go. It is very easy to switch between dumb phone mode and smart phone mode when I feel like checking out the weather forecast or my email account so the 700 stays in dumb phone mode pretty much all the time and the battery lasts a week.

Yes I am sure of having received system updates after Microsoft aqcuired control over Nokia Phones. The first two or three were great. The system got snappier and more polished. One of them even had a noticeable, positiv effect on battery life. The last one is another story altogether. Not only did it introduce those reboots. It also made the phone enable data traffic just after midnight on the first of each month -- it 'calls home'. It didn't do that before that update.

I will miss it when it goes.

/Martin (who wrote a longer, more detailed reply, got distracted and timed out... And, yes, I have an Android phone at work so I know what that's like.)


"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Offline

#43 2018-10-06 06:39:02

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,201
Website

Re: Linux Smartphones

Martin wrote:

Regarding Fairphone reboots: It happend several times a day I am told in today's email.

that ties in with what i heard.
i guess i'm glad i didn't get one after all.

Regarding Nokia 700: Yes, I still use it

respect! HatTipSmileyAnim.gif

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB