#26 2018-07-31 09:12:06

titan

Re: Getting fit at 56

hhh wrote:

https://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j1456

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurna … 55eeaa3e62

Pros vs. Cons of cycling...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2920084/

@titan, please do not derail this thread any more. You want to argue about my rebuttals? Feel free to open a new thread or Private Message me.

How am I derailing the thread? I was just looking at the bigger picture why do people want to get "fit" and loose weight, I would suggest it is they are concerned about their health. Some of the links you posted say the same as me, for most folks walking is good for overall health.The links are mostly just meta data quite often just taking the one aspect from (other peoples) data ie whether they rode a bike, to support their hypothesis, while ignoring other major influences like lifestyle, diet and smoking. 

Cycling is great I am a lifelong cyclist I probably do around 5000km a year but the point I was trying to make was that fitness gets confused with health. Getting fit to a lot of people actually seems to mean using exercise to loose weight but diet is a far more effective method. Counting calories works but is rarely effective long term.

As for Merckx I saw him ride at his peak and also ride a Merckx carbon framed bike.

#27 2018-07-31 09:23:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

titan wrote:

Getting fit to a lot of people actually seems to mean using exercise to loose weight...

While for others it seems to mean having a strong muscular body. Also not necessarily related to health.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#28 2018-07-31 10:38:10

ohnonot
...again
Website

if two persons get into a forum fight over a certain topic, how is only one of them derailing the thread?

fwiw, i partly agree with titan's (less popular) views, esp. that institutionalised (*) physical exercise is totally over-represented.

(*) meaning gyms and such. i much prefer something i would losely translate as "everyday exercise" - what's the point of "working out" in a gym only to make even the smallest journeys (even the one to the gym) by car? also do not underestimate the added benefit of taking a walk in an actual forest, instead of running on a machine under neon light.

personally, i realise that quality of sleep is very important. i tend to sometimes not sleep very well, and it has a direct effect on my motivation & eating habits...

#29 2018-07-31 10:41:36

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

titan wrote:

Getting fit to a lot of people actually seems to mean using exercise to loose weight but diet is a far more effective method. Counting calories works but is rarely effective long term.

For me personally biking to workplace means

- I (hopefully) get some strength in abdomen as well, so I can sit long hours without back-pain (so connected to a sitting type of workplace)
- I'am slightly less annoying at the morning section of the day (also 'forces' me to drink some watter and eat some basic breakfast at least). Basically brain is fully awake on arrival. Also I hate crowded/slow/smelly/... bus.
- Nicely limits my ability to stay awake and staring at computer screen all night at home (sleep cycle). In other words: Tired body will force you into sleeping mode.
- (From what i read someplace human does need sun light, so that cycling thing gets me there at least to some amount, btw: I hate walking)
- Biking for me also means to put brains wondering-where-they-want for that 30 minutes (solutions may present that way automagicaly sometimes).

^ So for me at least this biking 'exercise' is directly connected to diet/sleeping/sun/more.

edit:

ohnonot wrote:

personally, i realise that quality of sleep is very important. i tend to sometimes not sleep very well, and it has a direct effect on my motivation & eating habits...

+ 1

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-07-31 11:02:07)

#30 2018-07-31 10:56:04

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

@ brontosaurusrex

When you said "...there are probably limits at what's smart at certain age" I immediately thought about just how high I have pushed my heart rate on some of my hill climbs. On the other hand my doctor said my heart is in really good shape so I'm not too worried about going over some theoretical safe limit for my age. I didn't drop 43 pounds (so far) by taking it easy.

Of course that makes me think of what @titan said. "Walking is probably better for aerobic improvement than cycling for most people..." Sorry titan but I find that absolutely laughable. I came home from a late night ride a couple of hours ago dripping with sweat and that was in the cool night air. When I ride I'm not just loafing along going for a nice sight seeing trip through the local park. I ride hard. Those pounds I lost would nearly all still be with me if I was just walking.

I've also noticed a few comments regarding salt intake. For what it's worth, I spent the last few years looking after my mother, and because she was on a salt restricted diet I got used to cooking without using much if any salt. What I am finding with all the heavy perspiration is that I actually need more salt than what I am accustomed to. Without enough salt, and potassium, I have gotten muscle cramps an hour or more into a hard ride. There's a reason they put these things in sports drinks. Though I personally prefer vegetable juice, which seems to work almost as well, and gives me some extra vitamins that aren't in things like gatorade.

As far as diet goes I've simply increased my vegie intake and cut out most of the unhealthy treats. Beyond that I'm not paying too close attention to it really, other than increasing the variety of things eaten per meal. As an example, instead of 2 pounds of lasagna at dinner, I might have 1 pound and then cook a large skillet full of brown mushrooms with a large organic onion, fried in sesame oil. I get just as full but have a better balanced meal.

Whatever I decide to eat before a long ride will often have a bit more carbs, and after a ride a bit more protein, but I try to get a bit of everything at each meal. Plenty of fiber, minimal processed anything. Simple and generally healthy is the target. My diet was pretty good this way even before I started this, except for the unhealthy snacks. Cooking for my diabetic mother who had a range of health issues made me pretty conscious of what I would bring home from the grocery store.

As far as losing weight I don't believe in dieting. Proper diet yes, in conjunction with exercise. I did live that way for years before letting myself go. Going back to that as a lifestyle wasn't really hard to do. Losing as much weight as I have in the time I did it though, that was hard work. The stretch of time where I lost 1/2 pound per day for 40 days involved a lot of heavy perspiration.

Oh and I'm early retired so I have the free time. Riding a bike has allowed me to really explore the local lakes and mountains etc. It's actually a pretty fun way to get in shape. I ride a 20 year old Kuwahara with a full suspension and knobby off road tires. It's a little heavier than today's equivalents but a very capable machine.

Regarding any disagreements about fitness vs health and what they mean or how to achieve them, I believe they both go hand in hand. Exercise has plenty of documented heath benefits that go beyond just "getting in shape". And proper diet is essential to getting good results with any fitness program.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#31 2018-07-31 12:06:33

titan

Anaconda wrote:

Of course that makes me think of what @titan said. "Walking is probably better for aerobic improvement than cycling for most people..." Sorry titan but I find that absolutely laughable.

Whatever I decide to eat before a long ride will often have a bit more carbs,

What I meant was for most people it is accessible just walk out the door, no equipment needed. I am sure we all know friends who have bought the latest MTB or taken out gym membership for the enthusiasm to fade. There is not a lot of difference in calorific expenditure between slow cycling which is most older folks returning to cycling, and brisk walking.

If you are trying to burn fat have you asked yourself why you eat carbs before a ride ?

Last edited by titan (2018-07-31 12:07:04)

#32 2018-07-31 12:36:21

titan

A little snippet from a paper in the BMJ

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111

Compared with physically inactive individuals, those who walk briskly at or above 150 min/week can increase life expectancy by 3.4–4.5 years independent of body weight.9 Regular brisk walking may also be more effective than running in preventing coronary disease. And just 30 min of moderate activity a day more than three times/week significantly improves insulin sensitivity and helps reverse insulin resistance (ie, lowers the chronically elevated levels of insulin that are associated with obesity) within months in sedentary middle-aged adults. This occurs independent of weight loss and suggests even a little activity goes a long way.

#33 2018-08-01 00:25:47

hhh
That's it!
Website

titan wrote:

As for Merckx I saw him ride at his peak and also ride a Merckx carbon framed bike.

I am so jealous.

Sorry for offending you by suggesting you were derailing the thread. Indeed, these posts have contributed a lot too it! My bad.

#34 2018-08-01 00:59:30

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

titan wrote:

I am sure we all know friends who have bought the latest MTB or taken out gym membership for the enthusiasm to fade.

I absolutely love people like that; they go out and buy the latest posh kit (frame, drivetrain, wheels, etc) thinking they'll become triatheletes overnight, and a month later I see a bunch of fully built up barely used almost-tour-level builds listed for sale for 1/3 their original price. It's those folk that truly keep cycling alive. Absolute legends, the lot of em.

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-08-01 01:26:13)

#35 2018-08-01 01:46:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

cycling I love to use the bike to get around the city whenever I can; it's enjoyable (important IMO) and there seems to be no doubt it's a great way to burn calories too. An hour cycling will burn more calories than an hour walking. (However, walking 5km will burn more calories than cycling 5km.)

Just one thing to be aware of: bone density (google 'cycling bone density'). The other week there was a TV prog. on this topic, talking about a young athlete who cycled hard and built up an extremely muscular frame. One day he fell off his bike and shattered bones everywhere. They were all weak and brittle. Walking is much better from this point of view.

John
--------------------

#36 2018-08-01 02:32:32

hhh
That's it!
Website

johnraff wrote:

One day he fell off his bike and shattered bones everywhere. They were all weak and brittle. Walking is much better from this point of view.

Walking yes, jogging, no. I'll take two wheels and possible prostate cancer over shin splints and trench-foot any day.

#37 2018-08-01 03:50:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I didn't mean to say don't cycle btw. Just to be aware of the bone issue and blend in some other stuff.

John
--------------------

#38 2018-08-01 13:16:30

sleekmason

Cycling is an awesome way to get in good physical condition! 
I'm 50 now, and have been a brick and stone mason for over 25 years, with carpentry before that.

I try to tune my body to it's needs now.  Back 15-20 years or so ago, I weighed in at 210, and extremely strong.  This, when I was hauling native stone out of the woods almost every day.  Unfortunately, choosing one exercise is never enough, and while my job certainly allowed for some fitness, it was tailored to one use.  After no longer dragging stone out of the woods, that 210 lb of muscle started changing to flab, and slowing me down while laying brick.

I fought for years to get my weight down through diet to no avail. Though I cut out everything deemed bad, it didn't seem to matter. until I took up caving. (vertical).
I lost about 20 lbs and felt like an athlelete. Try climbing up a 300' rope with ascenders and crawling on your knees for 6-7 hours to see how many calories are burned:)

As I got older still, (and they closed all the caves in this area), I wanted something a little less strenuous that still pushed good bone mass, so I took up backpacking.  Always have hiked a bit, so this seemed like the next logical step.

Still weighing 190, and thinking about the future, where 190 lbs of muscle turns to fat, I knew I needed to lose even more weight.

In comes cycling.  Love it!  Wife and I splurged on some mid range Cannondales, joined a beginners group for a while (18 miles twice a week), and over a years time I lost another 20 lbs or so (down to 172).  My cardio has never been better. My strength is great, and I enjoy the hell out of it! <-- best part:)

Now we pretty much only backpack, hike, and cycle, and I believe for me, these will be the exercises that keep us going strong in the decades to come. Add 30lbs to your back while back packing for a few days at a time will increase bone density and stamina. Cycling smooths it all out. 
The other side of the coin in this is diet.  Not what you eat, but what you don't. If you buy your vegetables from the common grocery store, you are getting vegetables grown with chemical fertilizer and little else.  After planting in the same spot, year after year, the soil no longer contains sufficient amounts of the trace elements we need to function properly.  What it does contain though, is all the pesticide and herbicide residuals that may, or may not be as inert at is suggested. Planting even a small plot of your own to grow peppers or some such has been important to keep introducing the nutrients we need.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

#39 2018-08-01 15:50:16

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

sleekmason wrote:

...and I enjoy the hell out of it! <-- best part:)

This can't be overstated enough. If something starts to feel like it's too much trouble, you'll never get the motivation to do it.

I have an acquaintance (late 50's) who weighed around 100kg (220lb) - a LOT for his 5'7 height. Ate healthy, but couldn't get him to do anything even remotely physical. Then he suddenly got into bird photography. He now hikes about with a bunch of heavy telephoto lenses, and even takes 'workshop' trips with his birdbrain club to rainforests in Indonesia and Borneo. Still bickers about not having any energy to do grocery shopping, but he looks like he's lost around 10-15kg since the biginning of this year.

Last edited by glittersloth (2018-08-01 15:54:13)

#40 2018-08-01 20:56:26

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ and that's the gist of it really. you need to enjoy it, or at least able & willing to continue doing it.
which is why i cycle a lot, but i agree that in itself it is not enough to bring you in good shape. it's too single sided: legs mostly, upper body tends to tense up, you need something to offset that. stretching, yoga etc.

walking or jogging is much more "holistic", but it also has to be done properly!
or swimming.
i hate all sorts of competition or timed sports; people just tense up trying to win a few microseconds.

re bone density: contact improvisation is really good for that!

#41 2018-08-03 10:22:16

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

titan wrote:

If you are trying to burn fat have you asked yourself why you eat carbs before a ride ?

Deserving of a proper answer. To be more clear than what I said originally, I'm not *loading up* on carbs before riding. It's more about timing. Carbs if they are consumed at a time when the body doesn't need the energy will be converted and stored as body fat. If they are consumed before exercise they will get used up before that can happen. I'm simply having more of the days total carbs at the right time. It's the same reason I will have more of the days total protein after exercise. That's when the body wants it for building the muscles.

Total calorie intake is still obviously less than total output or I wouldn't be losing so many pounds. Anyways it would seem what I'm doing is working quite well because I've made good progress. Dropped 43 pounds so far and gaining in strength. I feel like a million bucks compared to where I started out at. Figure in a few pounds of added muscle and I've probably lost 50-ish pounds of flab!

Some of you have mentioned that whatever exercise one chooses it should be fun. That's one of the things cycling has going for it, at least for me. It certainly gets me out further than walking ever could and lets me explore the area I now live in. The following photo was taken mid July on one of my rides. The town of Quesnel is down in the valley and my house is only about 3 minutes walking distance to downtown.

Pinnacles Park

The next 2 photos were taken farther west of town on the same day.

West of park 1.
West of park 2.

MALsPa wrote:

You know what really woke me up? One day I bought 20 pounds of weights to throw on my dumbbells, and walked home with them, about a mile. My knees were hurting when I got home, and then I thought about how much better my knees might feel all the time if I lost that same amount of weight.

MALsPa you are so right. I have actually got quite a problem with my left hip, both knees, bone spurs on my heels, and plantar fasciitis in my right foot. 6 months ago I didn't dare walk to the grocery store without taking my cane in case my hip got bad enough that I couldn't walk back without it. The store is only a 2 minute walk from my house and some days my foot hurt so much I needed the cane to lean on going both ways.

Cycling has been a blessing. It does not aggravate these issues, and after losing 40 pounds I'm actually walking much further without my cane. In fact I have not used the cane at all for about 3 months now. I still have a little pain sometimes but it is so much better at this point in time that I feel like I have a new lease on life.

Oh and the Bowflex home gym I ordered has shipped and will be here in a few days. Adding that to the routine will certainly let me work my upper body more than what the bike is doing for me. Not that the bike hasn't helped somewhat in that area. Throwing in a good amount of trail riding (there are some rough sections) has toned me up more than sticking to the roads would have.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#42 2018-08-06 10:59:54

titan

Anaconda wrote:
titan wrote:

Deserving of a proper answer. To be more clear than what I said originally, I'm not *loading up* on carbs before riding. It's more about timing. Carbs if they are consumed at a time when the body doesn't need the energy will be converted and stored as body fat. If they are consumed before exercise they will get used up before that can happen. I'm simply having more of the days total carbs at the right time. It's the same reason I will have more of the days total protein after exercise. That's when the body wants it for building the muscles.

Total calorie intake is still obviously less than total output or I wouldn't be losing so many pounds.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, as you say an energy deficit will result in weight loss. I have been there many times over the years but found the hunger pangs never go away fully, driven by lower blood glucose and the brain's desire to keep the value where it wants it. My question was if you want to tap into the body's fat store why would you eat carbs just before exercise. Depending on the amount of carbs eaten insulin will be released which inhibits fat mobilisation so sort of self defeating. Carbs generally tend to be burned at anaerobic levels but for aerobic work fat is good and most people have plenty available. Your body also has stores of glucose stored in the muscles and liver as glycogen so any needed during a ride would be used from these stores no need to eat any pre or during a ride. Any carbs eaten post ride will replace these stores before being converted to fat. The more you ride fasted the better your body becomes at burning fat.

#43 2018-08-11 05:48:11

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

@titan  Sorry I have been so slow to reply. It's been a busy few days and my neighborhood and house are on evacuation alert due to a nearby forest fire.

Regarding theories about when to consume carbs, not how much, it would seem that evidence for both of our theories is variable. I did see a recent research paper that would seem to indicate that it really makes no difference one way or the other. If the total consumed for the day is the same in both cases it makes no difference in lean body mass or in body fat.

The one case where I think following my plan has an advantage is when I don't ride the next day. If I had my carbs before riding they got burned up. If I had them after as you suggest, and the next day or two I don't ride then that glycogen I'm not using from the carbs I had after can indeed be converted to and stored as fat.

I certainly have gotten good results so far. When I was was watching the videos that came with the bowflex I noticed that my legs are already a bit thicker and more muscular than the guy doing the exercise demos. Now with the home gym I can get to work on the upper body.

As far as what's happening now I decided to throw all diet considerations out the window for one week. Have pizza, cheese cake, burgers, poutine, ice cream etc. In fact I had butter chicken poutine for dinner today and a chocolate bar after. The Bowflex gym is assembled, I'm starting to use it, and so far I've not gained even 1 pound of the flab back while eating whatever I want. I'm not even cycling at the moment due to all the smoke, ash, burnt pine needles and other debris raining from the sky. Yesterday I was sitting eating a burger downtown and a charred insect landed on my meal. The air here is truly hazardous to exercise in right now.

When my one week of indulging is over I'm going to be controlling my diet pretty strictly based mostly on research into body building for older guys. Or to put it more accurately, I'll be incorporating some of that into what I have already been doing. I wont be relying as heavily on the scale either since I'm picking up a tape measure and a fat caliper to monitor things more closely. You might say I'm going to treat my body as a sort of science experiment from this point forward.

Of course if I have to evacuate my home due to the fires, that will throw a wrench into things for a while. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

#44 2018-08-11 07:19:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Anaconda wrote:

I decided to throw all diet considerations out the window for one week. Have pizza, cheese cake, burgers, poutine, ice cream etc. In fact I had butter chicken poutine for dinner today and a chocolate bar after.

Man, with the greatest respect, that sounds just awful! You really like that stuff?

When my one week of indulging is over I'm going to be controlling my diet pretty strictly...

Why not work on developing healthier tastes in what you eat? Get to enjoy salads, vegetables, fruit, fish...

It takes a little time (what doesn't?) but the reward is you won't be having to be strict with yourself any more. cool

John
--------------------

#45 2018-08-11 09:23:53

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

johnraff wrote:
Anaconda wrote:

I decided to throw all diet considerations out the window for one week. Have pizza, cheese cake, burgers, poutine, ice cream etc. In fact I had butter chicken poutine for dinner today and a chocolate bar after.

Man, with the greatest respect, that sounds just awful! You really like that stuff?

When my one week of indulging is over I'm going to be controlling my diet pretty strictly...

Why not work on developing healthier tastes in what you eat? Get to enjoy salads, vegetables, fruit, fish...

It takes a little time (what doesn't?) but the reward is you won't be having to be strict with yourself any more. cool

To be honest, yeah I like that stuff, but I could never eat that way all the time. Never did.

As far as the healthier eating goes, that's what most of my diet was before. I just didn't feel the need to cut out the treats. I have cut that stuff out for the past few months though. Regarding "salads, vegetables, fruit, fish" I have them all the time. In fact I have fish about 5 times per week instead of red meat. My freezer is always full of it. Especially salmon. Growing up on the west coast of British Columbia I acquired a taste for Sockeye at an early age. It's my favorite food. For the salad part of the equation lately I like to use a hand mixer and put in just enough vegetable juice to make it into a thick green smoothie. Even in my teens, when I was watching TV with my sister I would have a salad while she munched on chips or other garbage.

Why I needed to lose weight had more to do with too much food rather than the quality of most of it. That and not enough exercise, but that has changed.

Other things not mentioned. Pop, maybe 3 cans in the past 20 years. Beer maybe a case in the same time frame.

Anyways, what I'm doing for that one week is having as much to eat as I want, and not caring if not everything I have is healthy or not. But most of it still is just out of habit. Had fruit and cottage cheese for breakfast, and for lunch home made soup with turkey and lots of vegetables in a broth made from pureed oats and lentils. Just dinner was questionable.

At least one item or meal probably will be tomorrow as well.  devil

Last edited by Anaconda (2018-08-11 09:28:39)

#46 2018-08-11 14:17:57

titan

Anaconda, sorry to hear about your wildfires, scary stuff.

You really just need to do what you are happy with it is a free world, however just focusing on Calories is doomed to failure longer term. As we age poor eating comes home to roost and the demands from our bodies for nutrients is greater than ever. Probably worth considering healthspan rather than lifespan.Hyperinsulinemia is the biggest problem worldwide and driven by carbohydrates in all forms but predominantly man made forms. Most man made food is devoid of nutrients apart from when they have to add them by law but eaten this way have very poor bio availability.The other big problem is seed oils typically hyped as being good for you with healthy Omega 3 oils unfortunately they miss out the bit they they contain massive amounts of Omega 6 which is extremely inflammatory. There is a mass of well meaning (but wrong) dietary advice out there but a recently published WHO report and others shows that just about all the American health guidelines are wrong.

Saturated fat causes heart disease  -  wrong it is actually protective
too much salt causes high  blood pressure  - wrong
Cholesterol readings predict CHD  - wrong The Framlingham study disproved by modern CAC scans

There are various expensive tests to check your risk of all the modern diseases but one simple test that is reckoned to give 95% correlation is measuring visceral fat deposits, these are the next fat stores used when normal subcutaneous fat stores are full, storing fat here dramatically increases the risk of health problems.

It is simply the ratio of your waist to height, your waist needs to be less than half your height. Your waist is halfway between the bottom of your rib cage and top of your pelvis which usually is around an inch above your belly button, measured relaxed first thing in the morning before eating.

#47 2018-08-12 02:05:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Anaconda wrote:

Pop, maybe 3 cans in the past 20 years. Beer maybe a case in the same time frame.

I was amazed when I first read how much sugar there is in a can of coke, for example. Beer too is quite calorific, but that's not something I plan to give up any time soon. Although I know some people succeed in surviving the Japanese summer without any foaming mugs of ice-cold golden nectar, I draw the line there. Maybe not every single day but at least one can most evenings. The price is a beer belly on an otherwise somewhat skinny frame (at 68).

---
Patient: "Doctor, how can I live twenty years longer?"
Doctor: "Well, stop smoking, stop drinking, don't eat meat, don't eat any sweet food, get up at 4AM and go for a 10Km walk every day."
Patient: "And if I do all that, will I live twenty years longer?"
Doctor: "No, but it will seem twenty years longer."

John
--------------------

#48 2018-08-12 05:55:19

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:
Anaconda wrote:

heheh, i had to look up poutine. roll
in any case, one week is not hardly nearly enough to get scientific results.
more like a year. the body can take an astonishing amount of abuse and gets sick slowly.

i agree.
nowadays i eat a large salad and drink a large smoothie every day, both selfmade.
i love it. fresh vegetable salad with a little protein & fat & spice added (avocado, roasted sunflower seeds, salty pickles) is great. and the smoothies... better than ice cream.
you have to understand that i'm a large man and eat large portions. my breakfast is a smoothie - about 1 litre of it. keeps me going until ~12.

the rest of the day i eat normally.
maybe i agree with Anaconda in that i hate watching/reducing my fat & oil intake.

i could be thinner. this is largely due to enjoying long quiet evenings in front of my computer, being a bachelor, and hating competitive sports (that includes fitness studios). but i'm not unhealthily obese, imo.

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-08-12 05:57:04)

#49 2018-08-12 06:36:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

...maybe i agree with Anaconda in that i hate watching/reducing my fat & oil intake

This is what I meant about adjusting what you like, so you don't have to eat things you don't like. I suppose by living in Japan I was forced to do that for a while, but now when I go back to the UK I find myself looking for food that's a bit less... heavy.

...hating competitive sports (that includes fitness studios)...

Same here.

John
--------------------

#50 2018-08-12 11:00:59

titan

A simple explanation of how different foods affect your weight/health, well worth a watch if you have the slightest interest in the subject.

https://youtu.be/SzcOz38FjaU

Loads of useful information on his website  http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/index.html

Board footer