You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-07 07:48:21

ohnonot
...again
Website

Gitlab Users: Permissions to Read-Only, like Github?

I just migrated all my github stuff to gitlab.
It was really easy.
The only gripe: All projects were imported as Private by default - I can see the advantage of that, but now I have to get into every project and change it to Public manually, to make it resemble github's default.

My question here is this:
If I simply change the
Repo => Settings => Permissions => Project visibility
to "Public", and Save, does it mean there's read-only access for others, signed in or not?
I want people to browse my projects freely, but not be able to change anything (with the exception of raising issues & forking the project for themselves).
Or do I have to adjust some more in the project settings?

#2 2018-06-12 10:35:15

Davy

Re: Gitlab Users: Permissions to Read-Only, like Github?

Hi ohnonot,

I don't use gitlab myself, but a bit of poking about in their documentation and I found that when you make your project public, logged in users will have guest permissions.

This page details what permissions a guest has: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/permissions.html

It looks like it's what you want: they can read/raise issues etc, but they can't make actual changes.

Out of interest, what's prompted the migration? Is it because of microsoft buying github, or something else? Microsoft buying github has certainly left a sour taste in my mouth.

Davy

#3 2018-06-12 17:37:44

ohnonot
...again
Website

yes, i thougth it's what i want.
(what i was used to from github, and what is the best way for how i manage those "projects")
thanks for the confirmation.

"Any logged in user will have Guest permissions on the repository."
- that's the crucial statement i think.

Davy wrote:

Out of interest, what's prompted the migration? Is it because of microsoft buying github, or something else? Microsoft buying github has certainly left a sour taste in my mouth.

no, because of the sale of course.
though i was never 100% happy with it (not bothered by it; just aware that it's "the google of version control"), and recently there had been some changes to their policy that already caused a minor outcry. the MS aquisition was just the last (rather big) drop.

#4 2018-06-17 19:14:01

sleekmason

I just migrated all my github stuff to gitlab.
It was really easy.
The only gripe: All projects were imported as Private by default - I can see the advantage of that, but now I have to get into every project and change it to Public manually, to make it resemble github's default.

My question here is this:
If I simply change the
Repo => Settings => Permissions => Project visibility
to "Public", and Save, does it mean there's read-only access for others, signed in or not?
I want people to browse my projects freely, but not be able to change anything (with the exception of raising issues & forking the project for themselves).
Or do I have to adjust some more in the project settings?

Thank you for this.  I just moved my dilapidated repository over to Gitlab.  Had a hell of a time getting my first push to go through.  The recommended fix was to:

git config http.postBuffer 524288000

This did nada. I changed kernels and it went through. Absolutely no idea why yet. Anyhow,  Thank you, it Was easy, and I like the cheat sheet they give you for the prompt:)

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

Board footer