You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-25 20:29:59

sleekmason

Howdy All

First, I want to say that I am enjoying the hell out of BunsenLabs.  I decided recently to add a distro to an empty partition to dual boot with,and chose BunsenLabs due to some recent info and links about the great forum here:) That, and my hardware is 2009.

I'm dual booting with antiX, which I've been using for years, and recently returned to the forums there as well. The complete conky experience here is pretty neat, and coming from Fluxbox, Openbox presents some differences that I am going to enjoy sifting through.
-
After messing with the preferences for a while, I started in with gusto on the kernel.  I recompiled the latest Debian kernel 4.17.0-rc6 and am happy to say I found no difficulty in compiling the kernel minus a repo line or two for latest dev dependencies (stretch and testing). I'll switch it over to the BFQ scheduler when I have the time. (BFQ is built into the kernel starting with 4.12, though still needs to be expressly enabled).
Be happy to post a how-to if there isn't already a good (or updated) kernel guide. With all the warnings and caveats, of course.
-
A couple of notes bad and good, subjective and my first immediate impression. 
The graphical installer made my mouse a little wonky, hard to get it to the continue box in the lower right corner. I switched to the console installer and had zero issues.
While the compton effects are beautifully done, they interfered with my sense of timing on first use, and the ability to disable is reset on reboot.
I really like having a root password, or the ability to choose one on install.  Hitting sudo every two seconds to get something done kinda bites. I understand this isn't the current trend.

The install from menu option is pretty damn neat.
The conky options as already stated, are awesome.
No problems with networking.
Thunar with "open in root" option already there.
Documentation Documentation Documentation Love it!
-
All of these are my personal opinions, and on the troublesome items, I am completely aware of how to remedy them. (er, not the root password bit, but I'll damn well look it up before bugging anybody here with it:)
-
Regards, sleekmason

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

#2 2018-05-25 22:01:53

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Re: Howdy All

Hello and welcome!!

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#3 2018-05-25 22:43:26

hhh
That's easy!
Website

sleekmason wrote:

A couple of notes bad and good, subjective and my first immediate impression. 
The graphical installer made my mouse a little wonky, hard to get it to the continue box in the lower right corner. I switched to the console installer and had zero issues.
While the compton effects are beautifully done, they interfered with my sense of timing on first use, and the ability to disable is reset on reboot.
I really like having a root password, or the ability to choose one on install.  Hitting sudo every two seconds to get something done kinda bites. I understand this isn't the current trend.

You can use your keyboard "Tab" button and arrow keys to cycle through the inputs and menus, so you can still use the installer even if your mouse doesn't work at all. Glad to here the text install worked for you.

To edit compton settings, Right-click desktop/Super Key (Main Menu)>Preferences>Compositing>Edit Compositing Settings.

To disable compton, edit the Openbox autostart file (Main Menu>Preferences>Openbox>Edit autostart). Comment out the compositor as shown here...

## Compton
## NOTE: composition must be started before tint2
#bl-compositor --start

You can switch your terminal to have root access for the life of that window by running the following (and entering your password once)...

sudo -s

Thanks for trying BunsenLabs and posting, and welcome!

#4 2018-05-25 23:54:03

sleekmason

sudo -s

Thank you for the tips. That will take care of it. Look forward to learning more!

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

#5 2018-05-26 03:10:46

DeepDayze

Welcome to BL, Sleekmason...your nick seems familiar from the AntiX forums and glad you are liking BL. I still use AntiX on a veeerrrryyy old Thinkpad T23 I use to play with.

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2018-05-26 08:33:05

thoro

Hello & Welcome to the Labs @sleekmason

"It's just your opinion, man!"

#7 2018-05-26 12:23:53

sleekmason

Thank you everybody. The more I see the more I like. What a neat little distro!

@DeepDayze - And before antiX weren't you were a sidux member as well? It's nice to see familiar names wherever I go. Over 7 Billion people on this planet, and the Linux community is still small enough to run into people repeatedly. Love it.

@Dobbie03 - Thank you for linking your github. Between your accumulated scripts and themes, I don't think I will get bored anytime soon. Thank you for putting them out there. Aside from some old android kernel development, my own is sorely lacking.  Seeing yours reminds me I should be putting my current stuff there as well.

Edit* Forgot to mention I found,

sudo passwd root

will enable root if wanted. More on that from here:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4797

Last edited by sleekmason (2018-05-26 12:40:04)

#8 2018-05-27 01:29:32

DeepDayze

sleekmason wrote:

@DeepDayze - And before antiX weren't you were a sidux member as well? It's nice to see familiar names wherever I go. Over 7 Billion people on this planet, and the Linux community is still small enough to run into people repeatedly. Love it.

Yep I remember you on the old sidux forums as well. That distro has pretty much died (became Aptosid after sidux). Certainly is a small world in the Linux realm smile

Last edited by DeepDayze (2018-05-27 01:30:02)

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer