You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-04 20:48:42

m1rr0r5h4d35

Manjaro OpenBox edition

"Something...familiar. Something...from the past."

Manjaro OpenBox Edition

Bonus points if you correctly guessed the above quote was from The Shredder.

Seriously, though, it looks a lot like Bunsen with Polybar instead of Tint2. It might be interesting to take a look at, not sure if I would replace my daily driver with it, though.

This last round of community editions has been kind of interesting. They have AwesomeWm, BSPWM, I3, Openbox and several others. Was kind of surprised.

"A graphic representation of data abstracted from the banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding."

- William Gibson

#2 2018-05-04 21:09:35

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

Re: Manjaro OpenBox edition

They took a heap of configs from ArchLabs, they have done a pretty cool job of bringin the OB edition back.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!

#3 2018-05-05 19:32:26

m1rr0r5h4d35

Some time back, I tried the I3 edition, as I had no previous experience with tiling WMs,and it was a lot of fun, but they dropped support for 32-bit, and I don't really have any extra 64-bit machines laying around to try things out on. I could throw it on a VM, but for me it's not the same. I like to really use a distro every day for a while to get the feel for it, and with a VM, I find that I just fire it up now and then to play with. I just thought it was an interesting aside that they were presenting so many WM-based versions. I don't think I have ever really liked the big DEs like KDE and Gnome. There's nothing particularly wrong with them, but I guess it's just preference. Was hoping that this might be a sign of the rising popularity of the simple WM.

"A graphic representation of data abstracted from the banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding."

- William Gibson

#4 2018-05-06 05:26:19

ohnonot
...again

m1rr0r5h4d35 wrote:

I could throw it on a VM, but for me it's not the same.

i agree!
it's like the difference between a youtube video of a kitten and a real kitten.

rant warning:
VM's are the bane of Linux communities.
everybody's "just trying it out in a VM", yet they expect full support for any little problem they bump into, not even telling you it's a vm.
i mean really: my usb stick is not recognized by my latest install of $DISTRO!
a serious bug, yes? unless it's in a vm...
another side effect: everybody and their aunt are linux distro reviewers.
you don't even have to reboot your machine, or retrieve that old laptop from its cupboard! all from the comfort of your chair.
and some of them actually expect to grok a distro after 30 minutes in a VM, and give a negative verdict if they don't. roll

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#5 2018-05-06 05:50:18

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

ohnonot wrote:
m1rr0r5h4d35 wrote:

I could throw it on a VM, but for me it's not the same.

i agree!
it's like the difference between a youtube video of a kitten and a real kitten.

rant warning:
VM's are the bane of Linux communities.
everybody's "just trying it out in a VM", yet they expect full support for any little problem they bump into, not even telling you it's a vm.
i mean really: my usb stick is not recognized by my latest install of $DISTRO!
a serious bug, yes? unless it's in a vm...
another side effect: everybody and their aunt are linux distro reviewers.
you don't even have to reboot your machine, or retrieve that old laptop from its cupboard! all from the comfort of your chair.
and some of them actually expect to grok a distro after 30 minutes in a VM, and give a negative verdict if they don't. roll

I too am not a fan of the VM.

#6 2018-05-07 04:17:34

hhh
Meep!
Website

Ditto. I know it's a great convenience, but in this case Dobs and I are in complete agreement... WE LOVE METAL!!!

#7 2018-05-07 05:32:51

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

hhh wrote:

Ditto. I know it's a great convenience, but in this case Dobs and I are in complete agreement... WE LOVE METAL!!!

Yes we do. \m/ \m/

In all seriousness, I see the convenience of a VM but if you have the hardware why not do a proper install?

#8 2018-05-07 06:05:12

ohnonot
...again

^ i didn't mean to bash virtualisation as such, of course it's super useful, and even necessary in some cases.
but with virtualbox it's so easy, it generates a whole new pile of linux help threads, and i just can't treat those with the same seriousness as trying it bare metal.
also ignorance: people do not understand that not everything in a vm works just the same as in a bare metal situation.
reading "Help! Mouse pointer has black background!" - if it's a "real" install, i perceive this as a problem, if it's in a vm, i just shrug. whatever.

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-05-07 06:05:36)

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#9 2018-05-07 06:22:28

johnraff
nullglob
Website

But for a quick check of something like whether a certain installer offers a certain option or not, they're incredibly useful. Also the fact that you can take snapshots and easily come back, close the window with the system in its current state... great for playing around.

As you all say, don't take VM bug reports too seriously though.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#10 2018-05-07 07:39:40

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

I use an Arch install in vbox as production video/audio transcoder, so vms are basically the same as metal for me (I will not complain if compton is not working as expected thought). In this case the problem is still kinda crapy IO performance of virtualbox.

#11 2018-05-07 15:29:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

brontosaurusrex wrote:

crapy IO performance of virtualbox

You should try it the other way around — Linux has great I/O capabilities and I found that a Win10 VM (with KVM/QEMU & virtio) was indistinguishable from a bare metal install, GPUs (and other PCI devices) can be passed through to VMs under QEMU to give the best of both worlds cool

On topic comment: Manjaro appear to have noticed ArchLabs' jump up the DistroWatch charts.

Also, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery smile

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#12 2018-05-07 15:52:38

MALsPa

I wonder how this Manjaro Openbox spin compares to choosing Openbox at installation time with Antergos. I went with Openbox in Antergos and I like it a lot, but maybe the Manjaro Openbox Edition is more polished out-of-the-box. Myself, I think I'm actually better off starting out with "straight" Arch and "vanilla" Openbox, or the same kind of thing with "straight" Debian, but that's just me. Copy over my Openbox and tint2 files that I've saved from other installations and I'm good to go.

#13 2018-05-08 00:09:00

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

I liked Openbox and Fluxbox and they are my favorite WM's these days as I left KDE and GNOME behind. Still run some GNOME apps so that's a good thing they run well with Openbox/Fluxbox as the WM.

Real Men Use Linux

#14 2021-05-04 14:56:08

Colonel Panic

Thread bump: there's a new edition of Manjaro Openbox out now, only it's been renamed Mabox;

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mabox- … les/21.04/

(I'm assuming here that 210502 means the 2nd of May, not the 5th February).

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-05-04 14:57:41)

#15 2021-05-04 15:04:02

eight.bit.al

Necrobump!

It's a minor refresh.

https://maboxlinux.org/

Not really Manjaro, but a spin of it. Too green for my taste, YMMV. smile

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#16 2021-05-04 15:35:14

Colonel Panic

Ok, point taken. I thought some people might be interested anyway since it uses some tools from Bunsen.

#17 2021-05-04 16:42:33

mdiemer

I tried Mabox recently, right before I discovered Bunsen Labs. I liked it, but like other Arch-based distros, it did not play well with my other Linux systems, with regard to the Grub menu. Didn't recognize them or some other problem, can't recall exactly. but it's a really nice distro.

#18 2021-05-04 18:03:57

Colonel Panic

mdiemer wrote:

I tried Mabox recently, right before I discovered Bunsen Labs. I liked it, but like other Arch-based distros, it did not play well with my other Linux systems, with regard to the Grub menu. Didn't recognize them or some other problem, can't recall exactly. but it's a really nice distro.

Thanks for replying.

I agree that there's a problem with Arch-based distros and Grub. There is a way round it, but it's a bit complicated in my experience.

From memory, when you want to boot, say, Manjaro from the Grub boot menu you have to select "Advanced options" from the distro's entry in the main menu and then the "initramfs" one from the menu you get then.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-05-04 20:15:36)

#19 2021-05-05 02:31:35

eight.bit.al

Colonel Panic wrote:

I thought some people might be interested anyway since it uses some tools from Bunsen.

Of course. Always good to have your input. smile

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#20 2021-05-05 13:09:15

manyroads
Website

FWIW... manjaro uses a quiet (silent?) boot process these days.  You really see nothing by default until you arrive at LightDM.  They used to have a legacy boot process (I think it was called vanilla-grub, grub-vanilla or similar).  If you installed that then the base install  looked more traditional. 

Also, I have seen the sequence in which I installed multi-boot machines making an impact on what worked & didn't. I remember getting acceptable results if I used MX or antiX to repair the boots after all the install were completed.

Your mileage may vary. And as always, my advice is worth every penny you paid for it. ;

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com  Professional Genealogist
dwm & i3wm on arch ~ Reg. Linux User #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Board footer