You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-28 03:03:21

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Fvwm Window Manager

Anyone ever try the FVWM window manager? I've had played with this back in my Slackware days but now it is piquing my interest again.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#2 2018-04-28 03:48:09

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 8,309
Website

Online

#3 2018-04-28 04:01:39

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 8,309
Website

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

Aaaaaagh, no! twm!!!

Screenshot_2018-04-27_23-54-19.th.png

Installs in moments, creates it's own session entry, has a panel, plus left and right-click menus.

I hate it! big_smile

Online

#4 2018-04-28 10:25:31

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,895
Website

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

hhh wrote:

I hate it! big_smile

Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha!
thing is, you can make it look like ___anything you want___.
too advanced for me, but look at this:
https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2018/04/18 … 180417.png
https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2017/10/31 … _scrot.png
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=958

Offline

#5 2018-04-28 12:58:03

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double
Registered: 2016-02-19
Posts: 1,267

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

hhh wrote:

Aaaaaagh, no! twm!!!

Installs in moments, creates it's own session entry, has a panel, plus left and right-click menus.

I hate it! big_smile

Haha, that does not sound like love at first site!

Those screenshots posted by ohnonot are amazing though. There is the battery info configured on the side of the menu. Never saw something like that before.

Offline

#6 2018-04-28 22:57:34

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

I played with TWM in the past but it was too minimalistic for me, but FVWM seemed better and more configurable.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#7 2018-04-28 23:08:54

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

Saw Packrat's old thread on this and those configs posted inline should still work and be a starting point for some serious tweaking. It's good to see that FVWM works well with panels like lxpanel. fbpanel and tint2 so may opt to use tint2. Not sure if it will work with compton to add transparency though but I may experiment with that.

Gonna be fun to play with like I spent hours playing with the fvwmrc back in the early days of slackware!


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#8 2018-04-28 23:20:55

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
From: New Zealand
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 2,286
Website

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

I really need to check fvwm out, it looks so good.


I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

Offline

#9 2018-04-28 23:30:48

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

Dobbie03 wrote:

I really need to check fvwm out, it looks so good.

Yep, it sounds like a lot of fun to play with and getting what you want by just editing one config file. I might try for a retro style desktop.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#10 2018-04-28 23:33:38

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
From: New Zealand
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 2,286
Website

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

Wonder how well it works with 4k?


I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

Offline

#11 2018-04-28 23:58:17

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

Dobbie03 wrote:

Wonder how well it works with 4k?

Good question...the version of FVWM is kind of old.  You might have to scale icons and text as a workaround.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2018-04-28 23:58:55)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#12 2018-04-29 00:46:37

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno
Registered: 2015-10-02
Posts: 1,089

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

DeepDayze wrote:

Saw Packrat's old thread on this and those configs posted inline should still work and be a starting point for some serious tweaking. It's good to see that FVWM works well with panels like lxpanel. fbpanel and tint2 so may opt to use tint2. Not sure if it will work with compton to add transparency though but I may experiment with that.

Gonna be fun to play with like I spent hours playing with the fvwmrc back in the early days of slackware!

Works with compton -

Screenshot_2018-04-28_20-30-56.th.png

doesn't work too well with tint2 - doesn't handle the native placement well, but that can be fixed by letting fvwm position the panel (that's a tint2 clock in the scrot). Xfce panel works well, though.

@hhh - fvwm does not have a panel, it has FvwmIconMan that can be used with FvwmButtons to make your own panel.

Fvwm - first window manager I ever used - with Slackware 8/9.

Fvwm Beginners Guide

Last edited by PackRat (2018-04-29 00:47:40)


You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

Offline

#13 2018-04-29 00:53:19

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
From: New Zealand
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 2,286
Website

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

I checked it out.  Pretty cool, needs some work to get how I want it.  To be continued...


I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

Offline

#14 2018-04-29 00:58:35

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno
Registered: 2015-10-02
Posts: 1,089

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

DeepDayze wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

I really need to check fvwm out, it looks so good.

Yep, it sounds like a lot of fun to play with and getting what you want by just editing one config file. I might try for a retro style desktop.

Fvwm is the ultimate time sink when it comes to configuration monkey


You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

Offline

#15 2018-04-29 01:02:21

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

PackRat wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

I really need to check fvwm out, it looks so good.

Yep, it sounds like a lot of fun to play with and getting what you want by just editing one config file. I might try for a retro style desktop.

Fvwm is the ultimate time sink when it comes to configuration monkey

Ohh yes for sure! So much tinkering to get things just right but in the end the results are worth it.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#16 2018-04-29 09:24:41

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,895
Website

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

DeepDayze wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

Wonder how well it works with 4k?

Good question...the version of FVWM is kind of old.  You might have to scale icons and text as a workaround.

just to clarify, fvwm's latest release is from Nov '16, but it's under active development.

and from what i've seen (and chatted with some online dwellers), fvwm can be configured to be anything you want. so, surely also on a hi-res monitor.

Offline

#17 2018-04-29 16:22:18

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

ohnonot wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

Wonder how well it works with 4k?

Good question...the version of FVWM is kind of old.  You might have to scale icons and text as a workaround.

just to clarify, fvwm's latest release is from Nov '16, but it's under active development.

and from what i've seen (and chatted with some online dwellers), fvwm can be configured to be anything you want. so, surely also on a hi-res monitor.

Oh that's great and I;ve been out of the loop on FVWM so installed the package and taking a look at the config. The default seems a bit hideous though!


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#18 2018-05-01 07:55:46

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,895
Website

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

DeepDayze wrote:

The default seems a bit hideous though!

yep.
bet they haven't changed that since 2000. sad

Offline

#19 2018-05-01 22:36:35

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

ohnonot wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

The default seems a bit hideous though!

yep.
bet they haven't changed that since 2000. sad

Yep, I started playing with FVWM back in the late 90s  monkey


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#20 2018-05-02 01:02:24

cog
Member
From: New Mexico, USA
Registered: 2015-10-27
Posts: 182

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

If y’all want a more open box like experience you can use FVWM Starter’s Kit by tartan from the old CB forums.

https://www.box-look.org/p/1018275/


10% of The Fishermen Catch 90% of The Fish

Offline

#21 2018-05-02 01:45:38

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno
Registered: 2015-10-02
Posts: 1,089

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

^ The fvwm themes you posted there are better; there's some good stuff under the hood with those themes.

Last edited by PackRat (2018-05-02 01:58:18)


You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

Offline

#22 2018-05-02 02:25:59

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

Thanks Cog, I will take a look at that starter kit and then tweak it. Bet I can make it look like openbox when I am done smile

Maybe a BL FVWM theme could be in the making.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2018-05-02 02:26:43)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#23 2018-05-02 02:28:05

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 729

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

There's a  a taskbar called TkDesk as well and there's a package in Debian. I've used TkDesk in the past with my previous experience wit FVWM.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#24 2018-05-02 03:46:14

cog
Member
From: New Mexico, USA
Registered: 2015-10-27
Posts: 182

Re: Fvwm Window Manager

@pack

Thanks.  I always get into my FVWM configs.

Y’all can find all mine here. (rstrcogburn submitted)

http://dotshare.it/category/wms/fvwm/


10% of The Fishermen Catch 90% of The Fish

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB