You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-23 19:01:43

linux
Website

Is Bunsenlabs repo in need of Mirroring?

Hi!

I run a mirror (http://mirror.linux.pizza) for some distros (raspbian, slackware, deepin and trisquel), and I wanted to ask if bunsenlabs are in need of mirroring? And if so, would you mind to enable rsync on your repository?

Last edited by linux (2018-04-23 19:06:29)

#2 2018-04-23 19:12:05

vinzv
Website

Re: Is Bunsenlabs repo in need of Mirroring?

Second that. If there's any need for mirrors do let me know.

#3 2018-04-23 20:12:39

twoion
ほやほや

linux wrote:

Hi!

I run a mirror (http://mirror.linux.pizza) for some distros (raspbian, slackware, deepin and trisquel), and I wanted to ask if bunsenlabs are in need of mirroring? And if so, would you mind to enable rsync on your repository?

We have two active mirrors, eu.pkg.bunsenlabs.org and asia.pkg.bunsenlabs.org (pkg.bunsenlabs.org redirects to either of them depending on (approximate) geolocation) and encourage the use of the pkg.bunsenlabs.org redirector/entrypoint in order to be flexible with server migrations and DNS names (same for ddl.bunsenlabs.org). It's currently a single point of failure,  but the option of adding another IP address/server has always been there and just needs a 'do' – we have a standby server.

The traffic to and fro our package repos is – due to its small size and the fringe status of BL – neglegible. We're also absolutely not starving for bandwidth, mostly thanks to the many seeders who host our ISO images for us, which is why there's almost always 0.5-1 gigabit (on eu.pkg) available for packages (well – I do shape HTTP traffic, so you'll not reach that number in one session). So, I don't see the need for an additional mirror, and third-party at that, at this point in time. Thank you for your offer though.

I could set up rsyncd on asia.pkg for you, but I don't see the point.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#4 2018-04-23 21:13:21

linux
Website

twoion wrote:
linux wrote:

Hi!

We have two active mirrors, eu.pkg.bunsenlabs.org and asia.pkg.bunsenlabs.org (pkg.bunsenlabs.org redirects to either of them depending on (approximate) geolocation) and encourage the use of the pkg.bunsenlabs.org redirector/entrypoint in order to be flexible with server migrations and DNS names (same for ddl.bunsenlabs.org). It's currently a single point of failure,  but the option of adding another IP address/server has always been there and just needs a 'do' – we have a standby server.

The traffic to and fro our package repos is – due to its small size and the fringe status of BL – neglegible. We're also absolutely not starving for bandwidth, mostly thanks to the many seeders who host our ISO images for us, which is why there's almost always 0.5-1 gigabit (on eu.pkg) available for packages (well – I do shape HTTP traffic, so you'll not reach that number in one session). So, I don't see the need for an additional mirror, and third-party at that, at this point in time. Thank you for your offer though.

Alright! Thanks for the answer thou smile
My idea was to mirror some distros that are fairly small and is in need of mirrors/bandwith. But it does not sounds like you need it!
Hook me up if you change your mind smile

#5 2018-04-23 22:17:03

twoion
ほやほや

linux wrote:
twoion wrote:
linux wrote:

Hi!

Alright! Thanks for the answer thou smile
My idea was to mirror some distros that are fairly small and is in need of mirrors/bandwith. But it does not sounds like you need it!
Hook me up if you change your mind smile

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for giving back to the FOSS community.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

Board footer