You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-18 15:17:42

schwim
Website

Any helpful Linux forums?

Heya guys and gals!

First, let me say that you're awesome. Its not you, it's me. I often find myself needing help with generic and non-debian problems or challenges and I often feel bad for cluttering up the forums here for issues that don't have anything to do with what the forums here are designed to help with.

So I'd like to find a home to ask my stupid questions. I've been a long time member of many: Linux questions.org, linuxforums.com and a lot of distro specific but none really fit well(and lf.com seems to have suffered a permanent db crisis). I find some more like lq, to often derail topics to discuss Foss related topics instead of mine and others, like the ubuforums are just not helpful even a tiny bit.  Stack exchange finds everything I ask to be too broad and is happy to lock the topics and Reddit... Well, it's Reddit.

Does anyone know of a hangout where I can ask the more general questions that always pop up during my Linux os travels?

Thanks for your time!

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

#2 2018-04-18 16:18:57

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Re: Any helpful Linux forums?

##linux@freenode, tlug@tlug.jp.

#3 2018-04-18 16:26:08

mrneilypops
The BL Scrot.Moe Guy
Website

@schwim
Hmmm...I would say this forum is very helpful regarding 'general' linux questions... wink

#4 2018-04-18 17:10:39

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

@ schwim --- this is your home away from home

PERIOD!

Ask away

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

#5 2018-04-18 17:15:38

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

But for the record, I use Arch's wiki/forums, Ubuntu's forums, Debian's forums, StackExchange. I have found @stevep's blog worthwhile back when I was mucking around with UEFI. I will dredge stuff up from dang near anywhere, lol.

#6 2018-04-18 18:48:35

schwim
Website

Hi there guys and thanks a bunch for your thoughts.  Looking at the topic, title, I really should have clarified a bit by adding "other" smile

mrneilypops wrote:

@schwim
Hmmm...I would say this forum is very helpful regarding 'general' linux questions... wink

I have always come here for help, regardless of the OS I was asking about and I've always gotten the best help and most complete solutions..  I always feel dirty though, like I'm crapping up the forums with Ubu topics.

Sector11 wrote:

@ schwim --- this is your home away from home

PERIOD!

Ask away

I've always loved the community around this OS and have always been made to feel welcome.  I can say, however, that not receiving topic reply notifications is really what caused me to forget to visit daily, then weekly, then monthly, etc...   Notifications are super important for me because I have so many forums that I visit regularly.  If I don't get them, my day just kind of fills up without that site being a part of it.  I don't visit often enough to keep track of topics as they grow and when I do return, I usually forget to check the "posted" search query to see if any I've participated in had a new reply.

tknomanzr wrote:

The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

But for the record, I use Arch's wiki/forums, Ubuntu's forums, Debian's forums, StackExchange. I have found @stevep's blog worthwhile back when I was mucking around with UEFI. I will dredge stuff up from dang near anywhere, lol.

I'm fairly opportunistic as well and will often join yet another forum to ask a single question. If I have a very specific question in mind, I'll give SE a shot but it's really not a community.  It's a rigidly formed avenue of support that frowns upon anything other than the facts.  Also, I often end up being my own best answer through searching as they usually are slow to respond.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys.  If I don't find another, I guess I'll crap up your "other" forum with my issues... well, the issues that can be fixed on forums big_smile

Thanks!

#7 2018-04-18 21:05:30

altman

Found lots of help here offline reading member s posts , threads etc. Great bunch.

Also on other forums or on the interweb.

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook/Intel Core i7-2670QM/ BunsenLab Helium
Dell Latitude XFR D630 /Intel Core2 Duo T7500/ BunsenLab Helium
Dell Inspiron 1720/Intel Core2 Duo T5450/ ArchLabs 2018.05
My craptop trio on Linux installs only.

#8 2018-04-19 00:10:29

hhh
That's it!
Website

schwim wrote:

I have always come here for help, regardless of the OS I was asking about and I've always gotten the best help and most complete solutions..  I always feel dirty though, like I'm crapping up the forums with Ubu topics.

I'm sure you are dirty, but you will never crap up the forums. Please use the BL & General Linux Discussion forum for all of your Linux OS questions! Our forum users generally thrive on them.

re: Thread Notifications, we'll have to wait for earlybird to chime back in, I don't need them. The Subscribe to This Topic link at the bottom of each page  (above the Quick Reply text box) doesn't do it for you?

#9 2018-04-19 00:43:54

schwim
Website

hhh wrote:

re: Thread Notifications, we'll have to wait for earlybird to chime back in, I don't need them. The Subscribe to This Topic link at the bottom of each page  (above the Quick Reply text box) doesn't do it for you?

Hi there triple H!

I subscribe automatically and see them in my subscriptions but have never received notices from the site.  I did test the forwarder used on the site and it's working so I figured they were just disabled for this forum.

#10 2018-04-19 01:26:45

hhh
That's it!
Website

Definitely something to ask @twoion about. Going to try a dist-upgrade to sid from the helium ISO now, wish me luck!

#11 2018-04-19 15:02:01

schwim
Website

hhh wrote:

Definitely something to ask @twoion about. Going to try a dist-upgrade to sid from the helium ISO now, wish me luck!

Fingers and toes crossed smile

#12 2018-04-19 15:15:35

mrneilypops
The BL Scrot.Moe Guy
Website

@hhh
living on the edge!?! wink

#13 2018-04-19 18:41:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

schwim wrote:

help with generic and non-debian problems or challenges

linuxquestions.org

#14 2018-04-19 18:48:07

hhh
That's it!
Website

mrneilypops wrote:

@hhh
living on the edge!?! wink

Oh yeah.  cool

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4741

#15 2018-04-20 19:24:39

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

tl;dr There are surely no dumb linux questions. And if anyone figures out a solution for a linux issue, please publish the steps somewhere on the internet.

Once I had to deal with an older Epson printer for elementary, which is ubuntu based. I found several threads on ubuntu forums where users were struggling with that printer (getting the working driver for it) - just like me.

After much hassle - and hours of internet search - it was possible to get the printer working (it cost me basically an afternoon, browsing even sites I did not understand, only the linux commands). All in all everything was fine after the right configuration (and it's a matter of minutes to get it working).

I wanted to publish the right steps for the printer on an Ubuntu forum and it did not even let me register... If you ask me, this is truly a tragic thing that happens often in the linux world: Someone has an issue, spends hours and days to figure out a solution and in the end: It works! But: The steps won't get published.

There are surely no dumb questions. I can remember while I was a newbie and tested gnome, it cost me hours to figure out how to execute files from within the file manager - and I found the answer in a thread, where an experienced linux user started his question with the words "I cannot believe I ask this question after xx years on linux". That configuration setting was completely counter-intuitive hidden somewhere in a silly menu.

And speaking of questions: I just had a modem configuration issue and found the same problem in a question on stackexchange from 2014! Without a proper answer there. Nevermind, meanwhile I figured it out and will complete that 2014 thread.

Board footer