You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-21 20:21:16

maboventi

Hi all!

Hi all from a former Crunchbang user.
I've been forced to change the system when my PC broke few days ago and now I'm very happy to be here.
I've installed the latest Helium alpha since Deuterium seems not able to recognize my Intel Apollo Lake hardware. Only had to use refind instead of Grub and the system runs wonderfully: all hardware recognized without extra effort (bluetooth and TV-stick required missing firmware on my old Crunchbang system).
The aesthetics is stunning and I've found the old Cruncbang spirit (a lean and simple system, easy to use and understand) untouched.
This will be my system for many years from now. Thanks to the staff for all the efforts!

#2 2018-03-22 07:40:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Hi all!

Hello (again) maboventi, welcome to BunsenLabs!

maboventi wrote:

I've installed the latest Helium alpha since Deuterium seems not able to recognize my Intel Apollo Lake hardware.

Please be sure to check the forums after the release because we will be closing the Helium-dev repositories that all the alpha systems use and switching to the main server instead so you will have to change bunsen.list to keep getting updates.

Also be aware that there may be further changes to the configuration files in $HOME between now and the release and the package manager will not apply these changes so you will have to check /usr/share/bunsen/skel/ and merge them manually.

had to use refind instead of Grub

What was the problem with GRUB?

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2018-03-22 21:42:57

maboventi

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

What was the problem with GRUB?

It seems that GRUB ver. 2.02 does not work with Intel Apollo Lake hardware (Celeron N3450 SoC), and indeed the system did not boot. Only ver. 2.03 (used by Manjaro Linux) seems to be working, so I've installed refind into the live USB stick and into the final sdd installation following various guides found online and all went fine.

Is there someone else here succesfully using the same hardware?

Last edited by maboventi (2018-03-22 21:45:19)

#4 2018-03-23 07:43:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

maboventi wrote:

GRUB ver. 2.02 does not work with Intel Apollo Lake hardware

Fascinating, thanks for the information.

I like gummiboot (it is known as systemd-boot in stretch and is part of systemd) that can be used with BunsenLabs but is not supported by the installer, unfortunately

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-03-23 07:45:11)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#5 2018-05-11 19:09:24

pepemopap

maboventi wrote:

Hi all from a former Crunchbang user.
I've been forced to change the system when my PC broke few days ago and now I'm very happy to be here.
I've installed the latest Helium alpha since Deuterium seems not able to recognize my Intel Apollo Lake hardware. Only had to use refind instead of Grub and the system runs wonderfully: all hardware recognized without extra effort (bluetooth and TV-stick required missing firmware on my old Crunchbang system).
The aesthetics is stunning and I've found the old Cruncbang spirit (a lean and simple system, easy to use and understand) untouched.
This will be my system for many years from now. Thanks to the staff for all the efforts!

Hi maboventi, I have the same problem. Im traying to install Hellium in a Apollo Lake laptop (n3450). What do you do for boot the install iso of Helim? I think the iso is configured to start using GRUB and i cant boot the installer using refind.
I tried to create a USB with refind. It can boot but dont recognices the Helium USB using another USB port.
I tried the isorespin.sh but it isnt Debian compatible.
I only can boot using Ubuntu 18.04 but when you test BunsenLabs can not go back big_smile

Last edited by pepemopap (2018-05-11 19:51:55)

Board footer